Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

actually dogmomof2's post was RIGHT on as most posters in this forum will attest.....

anyone who has so little idea of how to care for a dog has no business breeding it and bringing more into the world.....

Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
Do you people read with understanding or just skim over and hit reply?
Gee, you know this forum well

Quote:
You forget that dogs have been FORCED domesticated from day one. you make no sense. So taking them to vegan diet is just another forced moved. so be it. if it keeps my dogs alive 20 more years, It's a no brainer.

oh and we as Humans were created as Vegans. not Carnivores. Seems your reserach is flawed. but please stay on topic.
I do not want to take this off-topic, but since you are the one who added this item, and according to what has been mentioned by moderators in the "About the Forum" topic, if you discuss something different 9even if just to defend a position) it's now fair game for dicussion.

So, one of my "dog" is about as close to wild, undomesticated as they get in the pet dog world. Often, I don;t even refer to it in this forum as a dog and just say pet or animal to make it clear I;'m not talking Fido or Fifi. Having this animal was an eye opener because it forced me to see the true nature of canines versus the "domesticated" lab experiment that most take as being real canines. I have researched this on end because having a domesticated canine and an undomesticated canine, I needed to make sure that i was doing the right things for both.

I can tell you with 100% accuracy that canines are not vegans. They are not designed to live on a major=ity vegitaruan diet, they will develop ailmenst if their diets lack the proper carnivor needs, and they will most likely die a horrible nutritional death prematurely.

The questions I have, and I ask you to please think about this before you answer because it's the most important part of the answer. Are you changing your dogs diet from carnivor to vegann because its' trully the best for the dog, or are you changing it because of your own personal beliefs and forcing it on the dog?

When trying to decide the best food for my animal, the vet had me lay out several meals that were all desguised to smell and taste the same. They ranged from 50/50 meat/non-meat all the way to 100% meat. Over the month, the animal choose on its own a meal that was consistently about 85%-90% meat and 10%-15% non-meat. Don;t force your personal beliefs on the dog, have the dog tell you its needs.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM

616 posts, read 854,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I can tell you with 100% accuracy that canines are not vegans. They are not designed to live on a major=ity vegitaruan diet, they will develop ailmenst if their diets lack the proper carnivor needs, and they will most likely die a horrible nutritional death prematurely.
Shamu the whale wasn't designed to live in a giant bowl of it's own fecal water but they're doing it at Sea World as we speak.

Quote:
The questions I have, and I ask you to please think about this before you answer because it's the most important part of the answer. Are you changing your dogs diet from carnivor to vegann because its' trully the best for the dog, or are you changing it because of your own personal beliefs and forcing it on the dog?
mostly because this breed has one of the more sensitive digestive tracts and many of this breed have died due to the richness of the dog food, meat they may have eaten. Owner beware when buying a Bichon. they are like little kids. very fickle diets. but I zapped the meat out because of the breed's susceptibility to gettting cancer from meat and meat bi-products.. this is my first Bichon and I wanna keep her. I heard all the horror stories from other Bichon owners that lost their pooch and I asked them all what was the dog's diet? and every one of them said either regular dog food or table scraps. both which are loaded with refined salts, preservatives and all manner of lab ingredients. I have no doubt those foods killed those dogs. so I went the Vegan route with mine and not a blip on the radar and she's 2 yrs. old.

Quote:
When trying to decide the best food for my animal, the vet had me lay out several meals that were all desguised to smell and taste the same. They ranged from 50/50 meat/non-meat all the way to 100% meat. Over the month, the animal choose on its own a meal that was consistently about 85%-90% meat and 10%-15% non-meat. Don;t force your personal beliefs on the dog, have the dog tell you its needs.

Good luck.
good test. and good for you and your dog.

the test I used was a little different. I just put a bowl of carrot juice down to see if she would try it since she would sit and wimper while the rest of us drank it. so I tried it...and she LOVED IT. no need to force it. she licked her water bowl clean looking for more...so I checked carrot juice as something she would drink along with water.

second test, couple weeks after the carrot juice test, I put down some cooked sausage links that I bought from the meat market at the grocery store. she ate it, 2 hours later after a nap I go check on her, and she put diarrhea and vomit all over the floor where she sat. so that test failed big time.

third test, I keep her on dry dog food, Eukanuba, for couple weeks. sometime she at it, other times, the ants ate more than she did. so the dry dog food was a 50-50 turn off for her.

fourth test, I put down some Kale with sea salt that I warmed up in the skillet, ironically it smells like bacon when you heat it, try it and see....anyway...she ate the whole bowl of kale that I warmed up in the skillet and drank all of her water.

So I said to myself, I said "Self, your dog wants to eat what you eat". at first I thought it was just voices in my head...but after a few more weeks of her turning down her dry dog food and sausage, I just said I'm try to go all Vegan and see what happens.

Well, 2 years later, She will eat "some" of her dry Eukanuba so I keep a bag of it around, but she prefers cooked Kale, brown rice, cooked or raw carrots, loves carrot juice and prettty much anything I eat. so that made me happy.

a word about the carrot juice. I think she loves it so much because it's sweet and dogs love sweet things. don't believe me, throw a hershey kiss on the floor and see what they do to it. my last dog (Pit Bull) loved to eat chocolate.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Spinach, kale and carrot juice can't provide enough protein for anyone, let alone a dog. (Unless you eat massive, unrealistic amounts.)
MYTH. ALL greens from lettuce to kale to broccholi are packed with protein.

and you don't need massive amounts of protein to survive. another myth.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
YOUR the one that said that the dog was chewing and had a swolen nipple due to a hormonal problem...
ALL dogs chew and nibble. most of it because of itching or grooming. get a clue. they all do it. doesn't mean they are sick...lol

Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
it is NOT normal for a female dogs nipples to swell after a heat, anything related to a heat is hormonal...YOU are the one that said her problem is hormonal related...not us...

this is NOT a "normal" problem in healthy intact females of any species!
I guess you've never owned a dog then. because not only do their teats swell, their vulva swells up too. just like a woman would do.

A woman's breasts react and get hard when they are horny, just as a female hounds teats would do. they swell up too.

it's simple science

Old 09-20-2011, 01:21 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
your "tests" utilized highly processed, fatty and loaded with sodiium and fillers "meat" and a lesser quality kibble.... there are kibbles out there MUCH better than Eukanuba at about the same price point....

NONE of my dogs have "delicate" digestive systems and they still don't get any type of sausage.....

why don't you try this test again... say with chicken or turkey breast or a lean cut of beef....

bichons are very popular with backyard breeders... no wonder you want to try to make a little money off of her....

Old 09-20-2011, 01:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
I thank you for testing the mix with the dog but the method is a bit skewed.

Do this, get a hunk of red meat from the local butcher and a hunk of poultry as well. Chop it up into small "kibble size" bits. Since she already loves the other non-meat items, you need to find an alternative such as spinich instead of kale, etc. Also, do not cook the items or add any salt or anything. The first week mix 50% meat mass and 50% non meat mass. Feed this every day for a week. Note DO NOT FREE FEED! Place thge test bowl down and pick it up 1/2 hour later. At the end of the week the dog will be trained to eat when fed or go without. next week increase the meat to non meat by 10%. After the six weeks, your dog would have eaten the enitre range. On the next feeding place a bowl of each mixture down and see which one it goes for, do the same for several fedings and after awhile you will see the dog pick a the same or one up/down from its favorite. That's the dog's body telling it which to eat.

You also have to be careful not to be inticing the dog with what amounts to sweets. carrot juice isn;t good for a dog in large quantities but it like a kids sugary sweet cereal. You can't expect the dog to pick a processed dog food over carrots, no more so than expecting some child to pick a prune over Mr Jingles 99.9% Sugar Sweatened Candy Pops! Dogs will eat chocolate as well over processed dog food and we all know the danger of that to dogs.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Do you people read with understanding or just skim over and hit reply?

go back and read, all of your nonsense has been answered.

You forget that dogs have been FORCED domesticated from day one. you make no sense. So taking them to vegan diet is just another forced moved. so be it. if it keeps my dogs alive 20 more years, It's a no brainer.

oh and we as Humans were created as Vegans. not Carnivores. Seems your reserach is flawed. but please stay on topic.
Humans are omnivores.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
26 years around intact female dogs...no its NOT normal for the nipples to swell after a heat, or during a heat, infact swolen nipples is one of the first thigns a breeder looks for to determin pyomerta/infection and false pregnancy...

nice try though!

and eukanuba is a HORRIBLE dry food! considering you claim to know so much you choose potentially the worse big name brand they put out there...
its called PUKE-a-nuba in most circles...
nothing but byproduct and corn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs