U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times

Advertisements

I've seen it recommended and wonder how many on here do it and how often. Do you pierce the fish oil capsule and squeeze it on their food? just put the gummy vitamin in with the food?
I need more advice on how to do this and which products to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,136,786 times
Vitamins no, fish oil yes. Macie thinks the big ol fish oil gelcaps are treats so I just toss them to her and she eats them right up.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,590,104 times
I tried to give fish oil to both the cat and the dog: they won't touch it.

Any good, quality food should have the necessary vitamins to satisfy daily nutritional requirements. I would only worry about supplementing in instances of a deficiency, arthritis, etc.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,406,704 times
Since we cook all the food, I had to do a ton of research to ensure he's getting the proper vitamins, particularly the calcium/phosphorus levels. I would never use children's vitamins since he's a dog and has different nutritional needs than a human child. After a ton of research and hours on the phone with various companies, we decided to go with this vitamin:

Amazon.com: Multivitamin & Mineral Supplement for DOGS - 90 Tablets: Kitchen & Dining

It contains everything your dog needs, as well as proper calcium/phosphorus levels. We also give fish oil and keep them in the freezer just like we do with our own that way they don't break down until reaching the stomach and don't leave that awful aftertaste. Since we cook all the food, we just throw the capsules in there and never had an issue with swallowing pills...the food tastes good and he looks forward to it every day and has been eating all pills without problems. I don't think he even knows they are there.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,038,959 times
Fish oil yes, they think they capsule is a treat and therefore eat it. Sometimes, I just add it to their kibble. Again, since they like it, it disappears.

As long as you are feeding a good (premium) quality food (non grocery store brand, no corn, gluten, etc.,) it should have all the vitamins your dog needs. However, I do supplement glucosamine/msm for their joints. This does not taste as good, so I will put olive oil on it...and they love it! One pill a day, Costco brand.

I had a white shepherd / cattle dog mix that thought she had springs in her knees. After tearing both ACL's and surgery for both (different times) and learning this is a cheaper way of keeping them healthy, I decided to continue it with other dogs. I don't want to see another dog suffer through that surgery. She had a lot of pain. (Hind sight is 20/20...)

Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,160,332 times
Every night like clock work, the pups get a vitamin

It must be good because they go in circles when she says
Vitamin

Old 09-14-2011, 06:28 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,223,996 times
I agree dog vitamins should be used if you think supplementation is necessary. The nutritional needs aren't the same. I have given a tablespoon of olive or canola oil before when one of my dogs has had dandruff. It improved within a week.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,449,337 times
I give my dogs a single (dose for kids is 2) children's gummy multivitamin. Buy them at Target (190 for $9.99). I also give them a fish oil cap daily 1000 ui. They take each like it is a treat. No fuss. I also give my 10 year old boxer 500mg glucosamine daily. I use a product for dogs on the glucosamine but if I found a better deal that wasn't for dogs I use that.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,730,834 times
does anybody know if kid vitamin would do any harm to a dog? My new rescue is only 6 lbs and I'm wondering if a gummy would be too much for him.
Thanks to all those who have answered. Brand names would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 AM

21,873 posts, read 23,136,786 times
Ask your vet before starting something like that. What makes you think he needs any sort of vitamins? I'd generally just make sure his diet was good and provide appropriate supplements only to address specific concerns....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs