U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,115,319 times

Advertisements

My older dog has started having some issues with urinary incontinence in the past 2 weeks. He also trembles like he is afraid, but more often lately. We know that he has arthritis now and that he can't see as well, and the vet said that is why he is nervous - it is harder for him to get around and he can't see where he is going so well. And we are thinking that this nervousness, combined maybe with the arthritis pain, is causing the unintended urination. He will leave a trail of piddle behind him sometimes, and if he stops it turns into a puddle.

Some people have suggested taking him back to the vet to check for an additional issue causing the urination. My husband thinks this is totally unnecessary because he was just at the vet in June and had a full work-up including a geriatric panel. Should I just get him some doggy diapers? Or should I search for another issue? Is this just a part of having an old dog?

Scooter: Male neutered beagle, approx 13 years old (shelter dog adopted as adult, exact age unknown)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM

575 posts, read 897,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My older dog has started having some issues with urinary incontinence in the past 2 weeks. He also trembles like he is afraid, but more often lately. We know that he has arthritis now and that he can't see as well, and the vet said that is why he is nervous - it is harder for him to get around and he can't see where he is going so well. And we are thinking that this nervousness, combined maybe with the arthritis pain, is causing the unintended urination. He will leave a trail of piddle behind him sometimes, and if he stops it turns into a puddle.

Some people have suggested taking him back to the vet to check for an additional issue causing the urination. My husband thinks this is totally unnecessary because he was just at the vet in June and had a full work-up including a geriatric panel. Should I just get him some doggy diapers? Or should I search for another issue? Is this just a part of having an old dog?

Scooter: Male neutered beagle, approx 13 years old (shelter dog adopted as adult, exact age unknown)
Make sure the dog food you buy has this listed near the bottom of the ingredients (pyridoxine hydrochloride) It acts like a diuretic. Not sure why they need it at all? It sounds like simple old age...just like older people sometimes can't control having to pee. My gf used doggie diapers for her older dogs when they were in the house. Sometimes doggie prozac helps with the nervousness too. I know how frustrating this can be and feel badly for you and your pup.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,115,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Make sure the dog food you buy has this listed near the bottom of the ingredients (pyridoxine hydrochloride) It acts like a diuretic. Not sure why they need it at all?
Yes, it does have that. Thanks. We are feeding the "Holistic Senior Life" formula. The Pet Pantry: Holistic Senior Life (http://thepetpantrync.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=33cf8bfecbafe74ef7ef291b96 29bef8&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FYP&Product_Code=700-010&Category_Code=dogDryFood - broken link)

Quote:
It sounds like simple old age...just like older people sometimes can't control having to pee. My gf used doggie diapers for her older dogs when they were in the house. Sometimes doggie prozac helps with the nervousness too. I know how frustrating this can be and feel badly for you and your pup.
Thanks.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:46 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,352,869 times
Were he mine, I'd take him to the vet for a check up, even if he was just there a few months ago. Is he drinking more than usual?

It could be as simple as a UTI (urinary tract infection) and very easy to treat. It could be more complex, like diabetes, kidneys or a bladder stone or tumor. Not to scare you....but I would want to rule out stuff like this, especially in an older dog! Diabetes and cataracts/vision loss often go hand in hand. I've fostered several blind dogs, including one with diabetes, and they all adapted with a lot of grace and nonchalance to vision loss. So I am not sure that the vet's explanation about him getting nervous and peeing because of some vision loss is a very good explanation, frankly.*

Could just be hormonal changes or muscle loss causing loss of control....PPA/Proin (I've used this) is inexpensive, virtually side-effect free and quite effective in tightening up those muscles. It's more common in spayed or neutered dogs.

Just googled and found this pretty good article:

Urinary Incontinence in Dogs: Causes, Treatments

*Don't baby him because he's older and losing vision! That could reinforce whatever stress he might be feeling about it. Be upbeat and if he's having trouble with, say, stairs or something, don't coddle but help him be confident about managing. Thirteen isn't really ancient for Beagles, they're pretty hardy, long-lived dogs.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Were he mine, I'd take him to the vet for a check up, even if he was just there a few months ago. Is he drinking more than usual?

It could be as simple as a UTI (urinary tract infection) and very easy to treat. It could be more complex, like diabetes, kidneys or a bladder stone or tumor. Not to scare you....but I would want to rule out stuff like this, especially in an older dog! Diabetes and cataracts/vision loss often go hand in hand. I've fostered several blind dogs, including one with diabetes, and they all adapted with a lot of grace and nonchalance to vision loss. So I am not sure that the vet's explanation about him getting nervous and peeing because of some vision loss is a very good explanation, frankly.*

Could just be hormonal changes or muscle loss causing loss of control....PPA/Proin (I've used this) is inexpensive, virtually side-effect free and quite effective in tightening up those muscles. It's more common in spayed or neutered dogs.

Just googled and found this pretty good article:

Urinary Incontinence in Dogs: Causes, Treatments

*Don't baby him because he's older and losing vision! That could reinforce whatever stress he might be feeling about it. Be upbeat and if he's having trouble with, say, stairs or something, don't coddle but help him be confident about managing. Thirteen isn't really ancient for Beagles, they're pretty hardy, long-lived dogs.
Does PPA work for women with bladder issues too?

Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Does PPA work for women with bladder issues too?
LOL. I didn't use it myself for me, just to be clear.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
LOL. I didn't use it myself for me, just to be clear.
I know, but I'll take help anywhere I can find it!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,039,526 times
Talk with your vet, there are drugs for senior dogs with bladder issues if it is not a UTI or his dog food. If his sphincter muscle is weakening this drug will help. If it is associated with cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS), Anipryl may help to restore a normal elimination pattern. That is, if house soiling (dribbling or puddling) is due to failing memory and a decline in learned behavior associated with CDS. It could be a bladder infection or as someone else stated a UTI. A round of antibiotics will do the trick and he'll be just fine.

Here is another option: Dog Incontinence and Accidents: Male No-Leak Wraps at Drs. Foster and Smith

Honestly, there could be many different reasons for his urinary incontinence and it would be best to have your vet diagnose what is going on. We could play the guessing game but why make you worry needlessly and we could be wrong and cut your furry friends life short when the vet could save it immediately!

Your furry friend is worth it and so is your peace of mind, knowing he is okay and you have done the right thing.

Please don't wait...and remember: Inappropriate house soiling may be due to loss of sphincter ccontrol.

In all cases of house soiling, it is important to clean the soiled areas to prevent odors that might attract the dog to return to the area. Do NOT punish the dog. Most likely, the dog is unable to control himself. Scolding and punishment only produces fear and anxiety, which makes the problem worse.

Again, special dog diapers can be used to help reduce house soiling but do some price shopping. My sister uses regular baby diapers for her dogs (toy breeds).

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 09-18-2011 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Additional info needed.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times
Quote:
PPA/Proin (I've used this) is inexpensive, virtually side-effect free and quite effective in tightening up those muscles. It's more common in spayed or neutered dogs.
Almost every one of my older spayed/neutered dobermans for the past 30 years has been on Proin (and PPA before it was taken off the shelves) to eliminate dribbling. I buy the chewable tablets (which must taste good -- every one of my dogs has always gobbled them up) online, as they're much cheaper than at the vet's.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Almost every one of my older spayed/neutered dobermans for the past 30 years has been on Proin (and PPA before it was taken off the shelves) to eliminate dribbling. I buy the chewable tablets (which must taste good -- every one of my dogs has always gobbled them up) online, as they're much cheaper than at the vet's.
I had a shelter female Rottweiler who had what the vet diagnosed as "spay incontinence" and another fairly young male Rottweiler who had a brief issue with it. In both cases, the vet prescribed Proin/PPA (I can't recall the distinction between the two) and the issue resolved itself without my having to continue it for life. I think in each case a couple-three months did the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs