U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM

575 posts, read 155,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Puppy. Hands down. I can't help fussing over a puppy (or kitten). A baby, they're OK but I have to make myself fuss a little to be polite.
So true..and funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
ROTFLMAO.
How does that work, exactly?
Do you really want to know?:>)

Old 09-17-2011, 02:30 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,262,380 times
I think the majority of the public would choose puppy. Not only are they cute but you can handle them a bit more than you could a baby. With a puppy that you just "met" you can roll it on its back, tickle its tummy and the response you get is so cute. With a baby whom you are seeing for the first time all you can really do is coo over it while its in its mother's arms---booooring. Zzzzzzz....

As for me, I'll choose a puppy over a baby (no matter how many times I've already seen them before) every time!

Old 09-17-2011, 02:36 PM

17,346 posts, read 14,289,150 times
Either, both. People tend to be much more receptive to you coming up and fussing over their dog than their kid, though, in my experience. Although a dog lover and an owner myself, I have to admit that humans are much more interesting to me. My niece, for instance...I'll watch her grow into adulthood and she'll be part of my life for years to come. My dog is a comparatively temporary presence in my life.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Either, both. People tend to be much more receptive to you coming up and fussing over their dog than their kid, though, in my experience. Although a dog lover and an owner myself, I have to admit that humans are much more interesting to me. My niece, for instance...I'll watch her grow into adulthood and she'll be part of my life for years to come. My dog is a comparatively temporary presence in my life.
I know what you mean, but while I love my niece, she doesn't comfort me like my dogs, spoon with me and love me unconditionally giving me nothing but pleasure and asking for little in return. Of course I would never compare the love of my dogs to the love of my niece because you can't.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:52 PM

9,973 posts, read 13,673,297 times
Add another "puppy" over "baby" any time, anywhere.
However, if the OP was wondering if she should get a puppy before having a baby, well, there are so many nice younger dogs up for adoption because "we didn't have time for him after the baby" and so on.
Frankly, I think there should be more room in people's minds to choose life without being a parent, whether or not you swoon over a baby. It's not a requirement, right? It's a choice.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Add another "puppy" over "baby" any time, anywhere.
However, if the OP was wondering if she should get a puppy before having a baby, well, there are so many nice younger dogs up for adoption because "we didn't have time for him after the baby" and so on.
Frankly, I think there should be more room in people's minds to choose life without being a parent, whether or not you swoon over a baby. It's not a requirement, right? It's a choice.
Have an 18 year old baby already and several furry ones so not adding to the family anymore

Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,882,421 times
It depends on whose baby it is (a stranger's? a friend's? a relative's)...

But who could resist a happy, wiggly, tail wagging puppy?

I love babies, too. Teeny feet, tiny hands. So sweet, so new. But teeny babies usually aren't as thrilled to meet you as puppies are!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It depends on whose baby it is (a stranger's? a friend's? a relative's)...

But who could resist a happy, wiggly, tail wagging puppy?

I love babies, too. Teeny feet, tiny hands. So sweet, so new. But teeny babies usually aren't as thrilled to meet you as puppies are!
Don't you know women that just gush whenever they see a baby and can't resist having to come over a coo at it? I actually was annoyed when women would come see my son and had to touch his little blond curls! I mean why do they think that is ok? Would you do that to a grown woman too? Probably one of the reasons why my son hates his curly hair! But puppies! I haven't met anyone that minded a little pat on the head. I am more protective if a child wants to come and pet my dogs and usually warn them about the one that nips.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:35 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,882,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Don't you know women that just gush whenever they see a baby and can't resist having to come over a coo at it? I actually was annoyed when women would come see my son and had to touch his little blond curls! I mean why do they think that is ok? Would you do that to a grown woman too? Probably one of the reasons why my son hates his curly hair! But puppies! I haven't met anyone that minded a little pat on the head. I am more protective if a child wants to come and pet my dogs and usually warn them about the one that nips.
LOL. True.

I had a thing about people touching my (human) babies, too. If I brought them to a place where women knew me - I expected that some of them might be gushy, touchy, feely. But sometimes I'd be out in public at a store, restaurant, etc. and a stranger - a woman never a guy - would come running up and start touching my baby's hands, feet, hair and that would get to me...

With my pups I welcome the kind attention from strangers. And, you're right, it probably is a good idea to be extra careful when introducing a puppy to kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs