Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM

765 posts, read 2,436,922 times

Advertisements

We rescued our Bull Terrier in January, when he was just over a year old and recently altered. Since we didn't have him from puppyhood, we don't know if changed in his behavior are due to him settling in with us, maturing, or if he is sick. How long does a rescue dog usually take to settle in completely?

His recent change in behavior has been with food. When we first got him he was underweight and would gulp down his food - he would eat anything (socks, undies, towels). I even bought him a special bowl to slow down his eating. I feed him twice a day ( 1 1/4 cups of no grain dog food). He always comes into the kitchen around 4:30 waiting for his dinner.

Lately he has really slowed down on his eating and even left food in his bowl. Last night he walked to his bowl sniffed it and walked away. He went back to it a couple of times and finally finished. This morning he hasn't eaten a thing. I took him for a walk and he behaved in his normal manner, but came home and still hasn't eaten. (Everything is still working down below - 2 poops on the walk).

So should I be worried that he's sick? Or has it clicked in finally that food is plentiful and he doesn't have to wolf down his food anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,629,086 times
Default ...it may have clicked...

First, thank you for saving a bully breed. It takes special people to take on bullies, they are more work...and they are so rewarding! Second thank you for taking a shelter dog, too many are put down, and they have so much to give us in return!

In nature, it is natural for dogs and wolves to "wolf" down their food. There was competition for food and food supply and this is why they did it. Now that your dog is finding out that food is plentiful, it is not necessary to "wolf" it down and can eat when he wants.

It's good to see he's not feeling deprived and knows it will be there.

Is he still drinking water? If so, that is always a good sign. If he does not begin eating in the next 24 hours, then my concern would kick in and I would call my vet.

Sometimes when it is hot, they will cut back their consumption of food (not water, mind you) but generally won't cut out their consumption. So if he stops eating, their could be underlying issues. Just keep an eye on him and his food bowl.

You can always see if he's interested in his favorite treat.

Keep us posted!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:31 PM

3,738 posts, read 12,375,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
First, thank you for saving a bully breed. It takes special people to take on bullies, they are more work...and they are so rewarding! Second thank you for taking a shelter dog, too many are put down, and they have so much to give us in return!

In nature, it is natural for dogs and wolves to "wolf" down their food. There was competition for food and food supply and this is why they did it. Now that your dog is finding out that food is plentiful, it is not necessary to "wolf" it down and can eat when he wants.

It's good to see he's not feeling deprived and knows it will be there.

Is he still drinking water? If so, that is always a good sign. If he does not begin eating in the next 24 hours, then my concern would kick in and I would call my vet.

Sometimes when it is hot, they will cut back their consumption of food (not water, mind you) but generally won't cut out their consumption. So if he stops eating, their could be underlying issues. Just keep an eye on him and his food bowl.

You can always see if he's interested in his favorite treat.

Keep us posted!
^^^ Everything said here and also watch his abdomen and his gums. If you see that his abdomen is extending at all or if his gums start to turn a pale GET TO A VET IMMEDIATELY!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Well! Thanks for the kind words. So here's my update SORRY - VERY DESCRIPTIVE:

I had to go out yesterday afternoon, so I poured a fresh bowl of food for him and he ate it all down - but very slowly. We came home and he had thrown it up - pretty much undigested. Gave him dinner and that stayed down. Normal poops at night - BUT FARTY McFARTY pants. This boy is smelling up my whole house.

This morning he is his normal lively self, but walks downstairs and throws up the bile in his tummy. (He's done this before) I feed him by 1/2 cups over the course of an hour. Everything stays down, he's a crazy guy racing around on his walk, jumping and running - but after one big softy poop (sorry for the graphic descriptions), proceeds to have diarrhea (this too is kind of normal - he usually poops 2 normal times on his morning walk and then squeezes out something pretty runny before we come home). Sorry once again.

So - He is back to eating, drinking, pooping, and FARTING. I researched the symptoms for a blockage, and he isn't displaying any of the symptoms such as lethargy and not drinking. I'm wondering now if it's just his food - and why now, since we've been feeding him it for the last 8 months.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 PM

5,093 posts, read 12,564,370 times
Maybe he ate something that upset his tummy? If he is acting OK and drinking I would withhold food for a day then start with bland food such as rice and boiled chicken. And give him something for the soft stool such as pumpkin or grapefruit pectin ( high fiber so it will firm it up) Don't aploogize for the poop descriptions as many of us have become followers in Dawn's dog Artie's poop stories which was an on going saga for awhile

Hope he feels better soon.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:27 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,391,199 times
it is very important to store the dogfood
in a sealable container so that it won't go rancid.

while not as cost effective, I do buy smaller bags
of dog food at a time, keeps it fresher.

perhaps this might be part of it although throwing up bile
should not be considered normal, his stomach is feeling something
that does not agree with him.

pooping normal stools the first time on a walk ,and then as the walk continues they
turn more mushy, is normal.

another tip is to rotate foods/brands , would you want to eat the same
thing month after month?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
pooping normal stools the first time on a walk ,and then as the walk continues they
turn more mushy, is normal.
Oh - good to know. Our last dog (we had for 14 years) would poop once and that was it. This boy (is it a guy thing?) seems to poop like he pees - ok I'm exaggerating....but it seems like he has his favorite spots to poop on our walk. And of course that runny one is ALWAYS in an area where I should be picking it up, and I can't, I try to put leaves on top.

Quote:
another tip is to rotate foods/brands , would you want to eat the same
thing month after month?
Well, I couldn't STAND the smell in my house - fart/candles was too much and went down to Petsmart and bought a new dog food. My last brand was no grain, fart inducing (chicken/pumpkin). My terrier who passed 2 years ago also had a sensative tummy, and did well on a Lamb/rice formula. WELL....within 2 hours of eating the new stuff, Mr. McFarty, lost his nickname!! I could actually blow out the candles, and breath the air again!

The rescue asked us to feed him no grain due to skin issues with the breed. I'm hoping they meant corn/wheat, because this boy is sticking to rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs