Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think that certain dogs are just born with an innate sense of what a show dog is exected to do in the ring.
almost but kinda opposite...

the movment and stance (stack) in the ring is actually more supposed to mimic NATURAL movment of the dog...

unfortunatly many years of form over function have taken many breeds over the top (the confo based gsd with the so overly roached back and sloaped hip that it could never do what a working gsd does is a prime example of form over function) and the movment in the ring has over the years become over exagerated...
but origonally (and in some rings still today) the movment a dog exibited in the ring was supposed to be the movment they would exhibit in real life...

nowerdays confo shows are more about whats "in" so its more like a fashion show, but the fact still remains that the movment in the ring and the stack are supposed to show off the dogs NATRUAL movment and body...and what a good exaple it is...

personally when looking for a good conformation in a dog i want to see it move outside of the ring...a fancy trot looks pretty in the ring but i want to see how that dog moves NORMALLY...a good dog will have the same movment in the ring as it does out...thats good gentic memory lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Have you ever watched those dog shows and the handlers arrange the dogs in a standing position with their legs in what I thought were really kooky positions? I assume they do this to pose the dog in the best light?

Well, like I said, I always thought that was kooky, but I have noticed lately that my younger dog will just stand there sometimes in a 'stacked' position. Like she is posing for a dog show. It's hysterically funny...but she does look good!

Anyone know the origin of stacking the dog, if it's supposed to mimic a natural stance, etc?
Yes, my boxers and Boston terrier naturally stack to a degree, although they are not a ridged as whats in the ring.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I am trying to show my dog, who looks good, unfortunately she despises stacking, esp since she is "tabled" for her breed... I think I am gonna give it up soon.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
lots of her favorite treat gardner, it needs to be tiny it needs to be HIGH value and it needs to be given ONLY when being stacked/on the table!

freeze dried liver or broiled chicken breast seem to be good ones, as do tiny peices of low sodium hotdogs...
treat treat treat...once she associates the table itself with positive things start staking, keep sessions short and fun and never get furstrated, just treat treat treat, once she realizes being stood in a funny position = that REALY yummy treat that i ONLY get on that table...belive me it gets results.

this is the only time my dogs get dried liver, i hate liver but they love it so thats their turly high value treat they only get it for SERIOUS training sessions.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
My GSD, which comes from champion show lines, stacked naturally from a very young age. I have no idea if it is the result of pure genetics or if he picked it up by observing other dogs while he was with the breeder, but he automatically does it perfectly in certain situations, like when he is being examined by the vet. He also has a well defined but hard to describe "prancing" gait that he will use around other people or animals while on walks in a manner similar to the way dogs act in the show ring when they do their down and back trot. I think that certain dogs are just born with an innate sense of what a show dog is exected to do in the ring.
OMG, yes! My dog also has this weird trotting gait she does sometimes that looks like she's throwing her front paws up in the air in front of her (instead of regular walking/running/trotting) that looks like this prancing movement.

Dogs are weird.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:17 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
yeah, she looks good walking and moving. She is a hound and the nose is always on the ground! That and her neck is a little short and her one leg is a tiny bit hocked, and the breed is so popular and competitive. I am of the feeling that your dog must be perfect in order to place.
My child is going to do junior showmanship with her though. So she will appreciate the training tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs