Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:55 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times

Advertisements

So I have decided since my husband is now going to be working some nights until late I would like a bigger dog in the house . Well I have been looking and asking all the questions that an adopter should ask and boy oh boy do people get offended easily ...I asked one lady if her dog was up to date on shots and told her we don't give raw hide and she told me that her dog has to have a rawhide everyday in order to be happy and she also said that the dog is being given away and why should she have to answer all these ?s and I was like no something is wrong here . Why do some people get so offended when you are asking all the right ?s you should be asking ? Have any of you run into this same thing while trying to adopt ? thanks in advance for any replies .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 07:05 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,853,959 times
No. But it may be the tone of your voice or your attitude. Some people unknowingly sound haughty when they express an opinion about (insert subject matter here). Who are these people you are asking? People who are selling or giving their dog away? Dog owners have a lot of different ways of keeping them. Some use the crate, others don't. Some feed raw, others feed kibble or homemade. Some take them to the vets for shots, others administer them themselves. There are many varieties of collars and leashes different dog owners prefer. Some like to take the dogs to the dog park, other avoid it. And the types of treats and chews they give their dogs are endless. It's a matter of preference and what works for them.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:25 AM

15,196 posts, read 10,158,323 times
Go to your local animal shelter, one that actually tests the temperament of the dog. Some are just holding cells till the pet is adopted where some actually work with the dog to find it a perfect home. I would suggest your Humane Society if you have one in your area.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:48 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. But it may be the tone of your voice or your attitude. Some people unknowingly sound haughty when they express an opinion about (insert subject matter here). Who are these people you are asking? People who are selling or giving their dog away? Dog owners have a lot of different ways of keeping them. Some use the crate, others don't. Some feed raw, others feed kibble or homemade. Some take them to the vets for shots, others administer them themselves. There are many varieties of collars and leashes different dog owners prefer. Some like to take the dogs to the dog park, other avoid it. And the types of treats and chews they give their dogs are endless. It's a matter of preference and what works for them.

I'm sorry but it is far from my attitude if anything I think I might be too kind on that spectrum and I don't judge anyone for re homing their animal at all it is a personal decision . BTW shots self administered are not recognized by the county I live in and some people have gotten fines for having done that . Just in case you were wondering .

Old 11-15-2016, 10:40 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
So I have decided since my husband is now going to be working some nights until late I would like a bigger dog in the house . Well I have been looking and asking all the questions that an adopter should ask and boy oh boy do people get offended easily ...I asked one lady if her dog was up to date on shots and told her we don't give raw hide and she told me that her dog has to have a rawhide everyday in order to be happy and she also said that the dog is being given away and why should she have to answer all these ?s and I was like no something is wrong here . Why do some people get so offended when you are asking all the right ?s you should be asking ? Have any of you run into this same thing while trying to adopt ? thanks in advance for any replies .
Why are you looking for a bigger dog? That would be a sensible question most rescues or owners who are looking to rehome their dogs would ask you. Based on your post, is it because of security reasons or anxiety related?

If your answer is because you want to feel more protected at home, having a bigger dog will not guarantee you that. If you want a bigger lap warmer, that you may most likely get and you should have an easier time adopting one.

I have 2 big dogs and 2 cats. All adopted from the shelter and my local humane society, who has a bad rep with their strict adoption rules. And yet, for all 4 of them, I had no issues with the adoption counselor or staff. Our communication was clear of what they want (a good, permanent home where the pet will be loved and cared for the rest of its life) vs what I was looking for (I wanted a big dog because I have the experience working with them and they are great - NOT for protection purposes). If you come off too demanding, pushy and arrogant, there is no compromise. Being nice and sympathetic to the one giving up the dog to you goes a long way.

If you are adopting only from unknown sources, I.e. Craigslist, I would ask about the shots and not mention it again. If the owner has proof of vaccinations, you will get the records. If they don't have the proof, I would not take their word for it and re-vaccinate. A dog adopted from such sources should be checked out by your vet on the week of adoption to make sure it isn't sick or carries parasites.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:32 PM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
You are trying to get a free adult dog from a private party? Odds are that they have decided that they want the dog gone and they don't care how it leaves. They aren't going to want to be grilled upon their quality as a pet owner.

I always assume that any new dog is going to need to be vaccinated and dewormed. Even with vet records, I have the dog redone. I assume that the dog isn't really house trained and I will have to do the house training. I assume that the previous home didn't know enough about reading a dog to evaluate the temperament. No matter how "sweet" they insist the dog is, I do a quick evaluation and then watch the dog carefully for months.

I expect the new dog to have no manners at all and expect to do some training.

Maybe the dog really will be house trained with good manners and that is a wonderful surprise. If the dog needs work, I am not disappointed with the dog.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 11-15-2016 at 01:59 PM..

Old 11-15-2016, 02:19 PM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
I suspect that you are attempting to obtain a free dog in the same manner as you would get a puppy or retired show dog from a reputable breeder. Getting a dog from a serious hobbyist is compared to adopting a child. You will be grilled. You might have a home inspection. There will be requirements about things like fences and young children.

If you have your heart set upon a well bred dog from a reputable breeder/ fancier, then it is your responsibility to ask a lot of questions about care, raising, pedigree, health, and temperament to make sure you are not being tricked into buying from a puppy mill.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a giveaway dog off of Craigslist. That dog needs a home, too. But you are most likely not going to be dealing with a knowledgeable caring owner. Pet the dog, see if you like it, assure briefly that you will give a good home, and take the dog with you.

As you are going out the door with your new dog, you can ask if there are any vet records, but do not expect to receive a lot of information. Dont think you can be too demanding or you might offend the person disposing of the dog and they might decide to not let you have the dog.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:29 PM

19,699 posts, read 11,949,557 times
OP, you may want to check with local vets or even groomers. They often know of client's dogs that need to be rehomed as well as dogs that are surrendered.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:58 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,630,690 times
Have you tried a local rescue organization? They have plenty of dogs who need loving homes.

The process is also fairly simple, but you will most likely have to complete a questionnaire, pay a fee, and agree to certain things like providing references and permitting a home visit.

The rescue organization would probably also be more than willing to answer any breed-specific questions that you might have.

I went through the process when I adopted my wonderful German Shepherd and it was easy.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:36 AM

965 posts, read 929,591 times
Default Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
OP, you may want to check with local vets or even groomers. They often know of client's dogs that need to be rehomed as well as dogs that are surrendered.
^^This is how I started my last 2 searches. Especially because I had started out looking for an elderly dog.

Also, OP the Rabies vaccine is the only vaccine required by law, and not recognized by government unless given by a vet. That should narrow that question a bit.

I got my new puppy through Craigslist, and 10 other contacts I made were while looking were iffy/ sketchy. I could tell after my first 3 questions that this was an oops litter, and I needed to take all info with a grain of salt.

You will need to trust your gut, and keep your FEW questions simple. Then, when you meet the dog and talk t the people face to face you can pull out your list.

Discussing rawhides is out of that realm. If someone told me a dog I really wanted needed to have a rawhide daily I would just nod my head. I don't give rawhides due to safety issues, but that is not the time to discuss it.

I would be off put if someone started to argue points I thought were important when placing a dog. Even a free dog, or even more so.

My favorite place to look is a local pound if you have the luxury of taking on a dog with possible unknown background. They are often referred to as kill shelters, Andy the dogs truly do need to be saved. Mine rarely has dogs in it, but when I lived on the west coast they were full to the brim, all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs