Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,663,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
lol im not sure a bir slobbery/drooly shedding great dane would be a good choice for your prized french shirts AC...
there not exactly "tidy" dogs lol.
I used to walk it in the beach and scare other kids and their moms, though they are such gentle and soft animals, despite the size. I used to get such a rise out of it. I was barely 10 or 12, if I recall

I like big things. Naturally, great danes look majestic and commanding, though they drool and stink.

But given their size, I first need a big house and other infrastructure in place, before I get them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:40 AM

574 posts, read 1,062,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
I call them teachable moments!

When it was just Spanky (American Bulldog - 73lbs) and I, children would approach from time to time and ask if they could pet my dog?

I would tell them, I have some instructions first. You must look at me while you approach. So...no touch, no talking to him and no eye contact. You may look at me and talk with me but not him. When you are close enough, allow him to sniff your hand. Once he does that, then you may look at him, pet him and talk to him. When you pet him, do it under his chin. Do not stand behind him.

I would explain to them while they were approaching that eye contact with any size dog can be considered a challenge to the dog and therefore the dog could react with a nip or a bite, something we do not want and they should never approach a dog they do not know, especially without an adult present.

I used it as lesson time for the kids to help them better understand dogs. Hopefully it will help them in the future to avoid a bite.

I would ask if they have a dog. If so, what kind? Do they walk it? Just to get them talking. It keeps them calm.

Spanky loves people and kids. He is a wonderful ambassador for his breed. I know as you walk and work with your Rottie, yours will do the same. Again, this is a great time to use your Rottie as a teaching tool for the kids. Show them not only what to do but what not to do. It could save their lives...and the life of a dog.

Teaching moments:
((Now that I also have Diesel - a Dogue De Bordeaux/Bulldog mix (Hooch from Turner and Hooch) people tend to cross the street instead of approach us. The kids next door were interested in meeting him. So, I was standing there (on my side of the fence with him) talking with them but their father kind of flipped out. He told them to get away from the fence and not to get near "those" dogs. I told them, they needed to listen to their dad.

The kids on the other side of my house love to talk to me in the backyard and wanted to meet the dogs but are scared, so I told them, "never put your hands through the chain link fence. If one of the dogs runs by or leans against the fence and your hand is there, they could hurt you. It would be an accident but you would still be hurt. If the dog approaches you and you want the dog to smell your hand, put your hand like so and I showed them how. Then I asked them, what do you do? So they showed me. What do you never do? "You never put your hand through the fence." Very good! It was a great teachable moment.

I am always with the dogs in the backyard, they are not alone when they go out. However, these teachable moments not only come in handy with my dogs but with other dogs these children come into contact with for the rest of their lives.

Hopes this helps!

"From wet noses to wiggly butts, our dogs are not just dogs, they are family!"
great post!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,767,343 times
If you'd rather not have kids pet your dog, just say "Sorry, he's not allowed to talk to strangers" and keep walking!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,479,246 times
Most of the kids in my neighborhood ask if they can pet my dogs and I tell them to walk upto them slowly and let them smell their hands first and not to crowd them. I also tell them to never put their faces up to my dogs faces. My rotty mix once snapped at my vet when he did that so no one gets near her face.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,151,768 times
Thanks for all of the great advice - it's much appreciated!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
It takes a village to pet a dog.
Thanks for the laugh!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,125,145 times
I see it as a teaching moment too (and I've had Rottweilers along with other dogs for over 30 years.)

I did have one Rottie rescue who got somewhat tense around children, and I would explain that he was actually a bit scared and uncomfortable and the best thing for people - or kids - to do was to maintain their distance. I used the "he's in training to learn to be calm and ignore people" line a lot!

Otherwise, I am actually quite charmed and impressed by kids who ask if it's OK to pet one of my dogs, and if I have a kid-safe, solid dog out with me I say yes, and then will offer tips (like LuvABull) on safe ways to approach and handle a dog.

It is probably not a bad idea to become familiar with signs a dog is gettintg uncomfortable....dogs rarely "snap" without warning, they usually give a lot of - to them - very clear signals. Avoiding eye contact, standing tall and stiff, tail up and still or tucked, hackles raising a bit, turning sideways, sniffing the ground, sucking in their lips (that one is hard to describe but you know it when you see it!)

It's important to be observant, be relaxed and keep a LOOSE leash - a tense owner holding the leash tight transmits very clearly to the dog that there's something to be worried and on guard about.

Dogs read and signal subtle body language like you can't believe; this is how they communicate...and we humans often ignore it all and expect the dog to respond to words/commands alone....which is really unfair to the dog. All too often we humans expect a dog to magically understand human language, while totally ignoring their body language, making no effort to learn it, and then getting frustrated when the dog doesn't understand. Honestly sometimes I am impressed that dogs don't bite humans more often....we expect them to understand us without making an effort to understand them!

If I see a dog starting to tense up in the presence of a person, other dog, whatever.....I stay calm, keep a LOOSE leash, and move away/distract the dog without any drama.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,628,905 times
Default Completely agree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroptera View Post
I see it as a teaching moment too (and I've had Rottweilers along with other dogs for over 30 years.)

I did have one Rottie rescue who got somewhat tense around children, and I would explain that he was actually a bit scared and uncomfortable and the best thing for people - or kids - to do was to maintain their distance. I used the "he's in training to learn to be calm and ignore people" line a lot!

Otherwise, I am actually quite charmed and impressed by kids who ask if it's OK to pet one of my dogs, and if I have a kid-safe, solid dog out with me I say yes, and then will offer tips (like LuvABull) on safe ways to approach and handle a dog.

It is probably not a bad idea to become familiar with signs a dog is gettintg uncomfortable....dogs rarely "snap" without warning, they usually give a lot of - to them - very clear signals. Avoiding eye contact, standing tall and stiff, tail up and still or tucked, hackles raising a bit, turning sideways, sniffing the ground, sucking in their lips (that one is hard to describe but you know it when you see it!)

It's important to be observant, be relaxed and keep a LOOSE leash - a tense owner holding the leash tight transmits very clearly to the dog that there's something to be worried and on guard about.

Dogs read and signal subtle body language like you can't believe; this is how they communicate...and we humans often ignore it all and expect the dog to respond to words/commands alone....which is really unfair to the dog. All too often we humans expect a dog to magically understand human language, while totally ignoring their body language, making no effort to learn it, and then getting frustrated when the dog doesn't understand. Honestly sometimes I am impressed that dogs don't bite humans more often....we expect them to understand us without making an effort to understand them!

If I see a dog starting to tense up in the presence of a person, other dog, whatever.....I stay calm, keep a LOOSE leash, and move away/distract the dog without any drama.
I agree with Chiroptera post. We do need to read our dogs body language, it is vital. Dogs are excellent at reading us, as Chiroptera said.

In order for us to have teachable moments, we must know ourselves (our abilities) our dogs and what we can do as a team.

If you do not feel comfortable having kids or others approach, then I agree with the line, "No, my dog is in training." No, is an acceptable answer.

Although I love teachable moments and use them, you saying, "No." Is also a teachable moment.

It is important that children ask before just approaching you. In time, when you and your rottie are ready, then you guys as a team can have teachable moments. Until then, you must do what is right for you and your dog.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM

82 posts, read 495,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for me? I have a 100 lb. lab/rottie rescue named Gracie who is about 5 or 6 years old. I've had her for 3 years or so and she is trying very hard to learn how to listen and obey, but it's still a work in progress. Although I have a pretty large yard for her to run around in, she (and I!) could stand to lose a few pounds and for the last few months we have started taking 30 minute walks everyday. She absolutely loves these walks and is always pretty hyper as we start out, although she eventually settles down. Usually we just walk in the open space and wooded areas around the neighborhood, but in order to get to these areas we have to walk up and down a few sidewalks as well.

Inevitably, small kids will approach us and ask if they can pet my dog. Although I try to explain that it is probably not a good idea to approach a strange dog, sometimes the kids are on top of us before I know it. Gracie has never shown any sign of aggression and at most just licks their faces or hands, but this still makes me nervous. I would hate to have her be startled and nip at one of them before I have a chance to react.

I try to choose times when there are fewer kids around, and I steer clear of playgrounds and other areas that are more likely to be congested. Anyone have any other suggestions?
I might be wrong, but, I get the impression you don't want any children touching/petting the dog while you are walking. that you aren't really interested in having a "teachable moment". nothing wrong with that! annnd nothing wrong with those that like having interaction. couple suggestions, you need to train the dog that you are in charge whatever the approaching stimulus (by the way, she picks up on you being nervous, she doesn't know why. some dogs might feel threatened at this point). visually you see children/whatever approaching. then is the time for the dog to "SIT" and "STAY" every single time. then, forget the PC crap, speak to the children in the same strong voice (you have to be in charge, it is your liability if something goes wrong) "STOP! gracie isn't mean! but, she is in training." then start walking again (right past them) or if your dog is sitting, in control and you trust her not to be "startled", "nip", jump up or leash wrap (knocking them down) then let her receive them.

or muzzle her, there are lots of cushy velcro muzzles these days (would never use a muzzle personally). one warning on muzzles though, I once saw a BIG dog that was muzzled dislocate a smaller dog's jaw when it head whipped the other pooch. the dog ran around screaming like it was getting zapped with a cattle prod on high voltage. owners were mortified, vet trip to reset the jaw ensued.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,027,395 times
Just always keep in mind that if there ever is a problem -- your dog may not be given a second chance.

Dog owners are their protectors. We are the ones who are responsible for keeping them safe from danger. We are the ones who understand the world we live in and the laws that govern their behavior.

Unfortunately, you can not control other people's children. And, in today's world you never know what their parents might do if your dog's mouth even touches their offspring.

If I were walking a large dog and was concerned because I knew that uneducated people might approach them, I would seriously consider an exercise muzzle, i.e., a muzzle that is made specifically for exercise and which allows dogs to breathe and to pant while exercising. Velcro muzzles are NOT meant for dogs that are exercising. Walking your dog in one of them could seriously harm your dog.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-29-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs