Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Yes but How Firmly does Animal Control Enforce it? Also think IF they are reported with that additude they migh just sign the animals over to them... & With Soooo many animals not having homes now. Well I Wouldnt want to cause the animals to be killed. Maybe offering to take the animals yourself IF they claim to be too busy next time. BTW shots are Not a guarentee that the animals wont get rabies either. & in some rare cases rabie shots have cause animals to get rabies also.
The rabies vaccine uses killed virus .Your pet will not get rabies from the vaccine. Rabies in a vaccinated animal would be extremely rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't do cats. Wish I could. Love cats. Hubby hates them.

They would probably be PTS. I'm not sure that's morally wrong since their not being fixed is contributing to the overpoulation problem. They just keep getting pregnant!

Okay. I'm going to try resolve myself to accept this and appreciate that the neighbors are providing a clowder of rodent hunters.

Guess it's somewhat good for the neighborhood. They are being fed and aren't abused. I'll try to live with it.
I DID NOT mean You Keep them Just Offer to take them to the Rabies Clinic!

Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Suzy I 5 cases where to dog GOT Rabies From the shot! Yes even the Vets were upset!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Suzy I 5 cases where to dog GOT Rabies From the shot! Yes even the Vets were upset!
It's possible those pets were exposed to rabies in nature prior to receiving the rabies shot. Similar to people thinking they can catch the flu from a vaccine simply because they got sick shortly after receiving a flu shot. In reality, they caught the flu from someone sneezing. They simply didn't have symptoms of the flu when they went to get their shot.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 AM

NO NOT Possible!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Pennsylvania law: all dogs and cats over 3 months of age must be vaccinated.

They won't even bother going to a FREE clinic. Too busy, he said.
Since you seem to have had this conversation with your neighbor they will likely know it is you who will have reported them, should you decide to do so. You have painted a big target on your back so what you choose to do (or not) should take into account your personal safety.

Next time it might be better to be a quiet observer if you plan on one day reporting.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Since you seem to have had this conversation with your neighbor they will likely know it is you who will have reported them, should you decide to do so. You have painted a big target on your back so what you choose to do (or not) should take into account your personal safety.

Next time it might be better to be a quiet observer if you plan on one day reporting.
The conversation was over a year ago. I was merely walking the neighborhood alerting neighbors to the potentially rabid raccoon. I had NO IDEA they weren't vaccinating their pets when I struck up the conversation with him. I wouldn't do anything differently if I became aware of a rabid wild animal in the future. I did the right thing. The conversation revealed information I wasn't trying to learn.

I didn't become concerned about this until they have now increased the odds by having another litter they didn't place this year. That's a lot of cats running around without vaccinations. That worries me. My son tells me that a friend's dad works for a company down the hill that has to kill rabid cats all the time. It's not fair to the neighborhood and it's not fair to the cats. Still haven't decided what to do. It's unlikely they'll all live through the winter so maybe it's a non issue.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
NO NOT Possible!
You can't possibly be certain.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
heres what i would do:

1: file a report about the lack of rabies vacinations, the animals MUST be licesned with the town hall, to be lisenced they must be vacinated for rabies, no rabies, no license, and the LISENCE part will get the cops in gear since thats money these people will owe to the town...
tell the cops these animals arnt registered, and the ower has told you he doesnt vaincate for rabies (raibes is the ONLY vaccine required by law)...keep complaining untill they come out, they will typically ask to see the animals registration/dog lisence ect.
At the very minimum theyll be cited for not having the dogs vacinated for rabies and fined for anything they owe in backpayments for not lisencing the animals.

2: if the dogs are roaming (not on their property, not safely confined and not under leash (most towns have leash laws and nuisance animal laws) call ac and complain EVERY time you see these dogs off their property without a leash!

3: for the cats. this is a controversial subject fomr another post but i can tell you in all certianty it is 100% legal in all 50 states.
TRAP THEM.
outdoor cats can be a help or a hinderance, they are unmerciful killers of rats, mice and voles, but they also kill bats and song birds and as youve seen, breed faster than rabbits sometimes!
at the very minimum they need to be spay/neuterd and managed as a "FERAL" colony. call animal control and see if theres a captur and release or spay/neuterprogram in your area...if you dont mind the cats being around these programs will sterilize the cats so youl have no more babies but allow them to happily live their lives doing whatever.
if theres not a program youve got 2 options, suck it up and watch as these cats continue to population explode, or rent a trap from your locla AC/shelter ect. bait it, trap and take the cats trap by trap to your local shelter. as long as you trun the cats into the shelter, where the owner has however many days to go and claim the cat its 100% legal (just like turning in a lost wallet to the cops even if it has id), if the cat is not claimed it will either be put up for adoption or put to sleep...and while the latter sounds horrible...living 100% outdoors can be worse for a cat, especially unvaccinated cats, FIV, feline lukemia, distemper, rabies, they are all HORRIBLE ways to go...fleas ticks (tick borne illnesses), intestinal parisites and mange are miserable and highly common in unregulated outside cats (cause lets face it if there not vacinating there likely not defleaing or deworming either)

unfortunatly otherise theres little you can do, they are not breaking any laws, the animals have food water and shelter...

but i WOULD report for the rabies and id try to control the cat population.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
and IF..IF..they are TRULY crapping in your yard then that's one thing.
Quote:
If your animals interfer with my yard, pets or my well being, THEN i get upset.
The fact the are not vaccinated puts my dogs and my family members at risk because they do crap in my yard---all the time!

Quote:
But, on the other hand, all my dogs are leashed when they leave my yard, and my cats are indoor cats and they are fixed. I dont let anything i own roam around. My dogs have their rabies shots, and I believe in limited vaccinations, so i follow that.
My yard is fenced. We are always outside with our dogs. But they sometimes eat feces before we can stop them.

My elderly lab is 16 years old, exempt from rabies shot because his immune system is too weak for it.

I'm an avid gardener. The cats poop in my garden beds.

Our neighborhood is being overrun by their wild roaming cats. This is not just a handful of cats. The cat has kittens every year and now her kittens are having kittens.

Their turning into irresponsible animal horders. And those animals are pooping in my yard.

If they were vaccinated, I wouldn't care. But now that I know they are not vaccinated, I"m very bothered by these cats multiplying like rabbits and pooping in my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs