Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

That second picture is deceptive. She looks relaxed, but she is hyperalert at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Based on the photos, she looks more relaxed than in the first one but still concerned and a little anxious and over-alert.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:13 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
I can recommend this book for those interested in learning more about body language of dogs, many wonderful pictures and explanations:

Amazon.com: Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog (9781929242351): Brenda Aloff: Books

Turid Rugaas also has several excellent books and short DVD.

I'm currently dealing with a super fearful dog, almost feral-like in her behavior, just got her a couple of days ago.

Patience is the key (I get frustrated with my own lack of it sometimes but getting better at it).

Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
reward based confidence building is the key...that goes for you too..if you find yourself getting frustrated with your lack of patients, stop, take a break and treat yourself!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I see a dog that is fearful, timid, and yet wanting to take that step towards being relaxed but seems anxious about it. This is an extraordinarily important time in the dog's life (and your life). It is very important that you build upon a strong foundation of ignoring the fear, rewarding calm and relaxed behavior, and not pushing her too far too fast.

Something you may want to try is a vest... Something perhaps like this. You can use the vest to calm her down but also give her the impression that she's "doing" something. The vest is not a permanent solution but one to work on and assist in calming her down so that you can reward and reinforce the relaxed behavior. Naturally, you will slowly work your way towards weaning her off the vest.

At this time, a larger part of how this plays out is going to depend on how YOU react and interact with the dog during her adjustment period. You have to be careful to expose (very slowly) the dog to a wide range of environments where calm behavior is rewarded. Otherwise, she will only see you as the thing that alleviates your fear and she could still be scared of everything else. If done incorrectly, she'll probably trust you, be fine in the house, but every time you go on a walk, everything from a squirrel to a garbage can will send her to you tail tucked or have her headed back to the house at all costs.

Here's a small video to watch about "Capturing Calmness."

Capturing Calmness- help for hyper dogs-dog training - YouTube

Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
Talking Pics

The first pic says, "Can't a girl take pee in peace? Really? Seriouslly, a picture now of all times? How embarrassing!"

Seriously, ears up, nice and alert, tail not between legs is great, confidence is building. (Have never seen one urinate w/tail between legs.) Good body posture in first pic.

Second pic, love ears up, again alert look - not I want to melt into floor so noone notices me. She's giving you eye contact, that is a sign of trust, dogs will not give you eye contact if they don't trust you. (She's doing very well with you!)

She does not look like a bully to me. She does have that Pharaoh mix look, though. Her sister does look like she might have a little bully, but not your girl.

Great job!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post
The first pic says, "Can't a girl take pee in peace? Really? Seriouslly, a picture now of all times? How embarrassing!"

Seriously, ears up, nice and alert, tail not between legs is great, confidence is building. (Have never seen one urinate w/tail between legs.) Good body posture in first pic.
I didn't think a dog would urinate or poop on their own tail either, but her tail was so wrapped under her body (on Day 2) that she pooped right on it! No joke!!! At least she isn't doing that anymore, thank God!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
why do I look at that dog and think Jack Russell Terrier?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs