Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 PM

310 posts, read 1,356,773 times

Advertisements

Debate going on as to whether or not a Pocket Beagle is actually a breed or not. Some say they don't exist, it's an internet scam type thing; others say they do. What's right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
its a marketing ploy to sell undersized (none breed standard) dogs for more money to anyone thatll buy into it...
they are not a seperate breed, they are simply small/undersized dogs (often the runts) that cannot be shown and some smart puppymiller out there decided small is IN so lets market this.

same goes for "teacup" chihuahuas "baby doll" pomeranians "tiny toys" ect...there all just marketing terms to sell the dogs that arnt up to standard to a fad audience for big bucks...
it wasnt that long ago that the RUNT of the litter would be the cheapest puppy due to the small size, not being the standard, and the higher likelyhood of health issues...
nowevrdays though slap on a cute pre-name "pocket" Teacup, TIny toy" and charge an ecter $500+ for it!

a pocket beagle is a breed...a BEAGLE...its just a smaller one that for whatever reason (be it on purpose (in which case id not want to support that breeder) or accidentally (the runt of a normal sized litter) is smaller than other dogs of the same breed.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
yes..... ^^^ what foxy said......

Old 10-08-2011, 09:06 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Several Decades go BIG was in Now it the Tiny the better....go figure! I ran into a lady at Petco that had a Tiny Yorky! Another person asked what she paid...$1200!!! A Neighbor has a Tiny Yorky also.....$1100!!!! Cripe!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:18 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
I think the goal is to breed such tiny "designer" dogs that owners will have to use tweezers to pick them up....

What foxy said. Words like teacup, pocket, doll-faced, mini etc are marketing words used by unethical breeders, and not actual breed descriptors.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:43 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Where can I get a "Shirt pocket Great Dane"?????

Last edited by dynimagelv; 10-08-2011 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: forgot to include a :D

Old 10-08-2011, 01:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
The original pocket beagles were bred in Elizabethan England, and were favored by the Tudor court. There are portraits of Elizabeth I painted with her holding the so-called "pocket" beagles. They died out.

Today, breeders are just miniaturizing every popular breed for profit.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The original pocket beagles were bred in Elizabethan England, and were favored by the Tudor court. There are portraits of Elizabeth I painted with her holding the so-called "pocket" beagles. They died out.

Today, breeders are just miniaturizing every popular breed for profit.
Truer words were never spoken. Everytime I take Lucy somewhere I'm asked if she's a 'teacup yorkie'.

I always say "no, there's no such thing." She just a small yorkie. Actually she's 6 pounds so she's a standard size yorkie but she must look really small next to Ringo!

So many of the dogs that are bred to be the size of a mouse - come with so many health issues. Poor things.

A money-making ploy.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
thats kinda funny we have the same issue..
our smallest chihuahua is a tiny bit over 3lbs, JUST within breed standard..ive had people TELL me hes a teacup...to which i typically reply..no..hes a chihuahua...lol

But ive had people tell me they have "teacup" chihuahuas...that are "smaller than normal" chihuahuas and when asked how big they are "oh only 4 lbs..." or "hes only 7lbs" ect...people have no idea theyve ben taken for a ride by some unscrupulous advertising genious...
the bred standard is 3-6lbs and i couldnt imaging wanting a dog smaller than that, 3lbs is TINY...

the smaller they are then their standard..the higher the likelyhood of potentially severe health issues. ive known many a $3000 "teacup" chihuahua in the 2-4lb range thats gone on to need new knees, regular treatment for hypoglycemic shock and seizures, liver kidney and heart issues, water on the brain ect...
and unorutnatly this is true of ANY breed thats been unscrupulously bred runt to runt for the sole purpose of making it smaller.

another common trick used by millers to produce "teacups" for petstores is withholding food form the mother...if they feed her just enough to survive but not nough to properly fed the pups during fetal development and after birth during their first 4 weeks (becaus thats when they get taken form mommy) they are stunted and nice and tiny for the petstores to sell as "teacups" in the $2000+ range.
these puppies often die very young due to lack of nutrition during development (a chihuahua can live over 18 years under normal circumstances yet petstore pups are lucky to live to 10...), or once put on a proper nutritious diet reach their genetic size which given puppymills dont want a tiny dog popping out a single puppy per litter they use larger "specimines" so thee "teacups" often reach the 7-9lb range and sometimes more...

yorkies, maltese and bichons are also highly subject to this...beagles seem to be relitivly new for it in my circles...ive only hear the term "pocket" beagle a few times thank goodness

Last edited by foxywench; 10-08-2011 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 09:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
So many tiny yorkies die on the other yorkie board I frequent. They are brought home wayy too young, at six or seven weeks - which, for a tiny yorkie, is just too young and too small.

They are tiny, underdeveloped, and the least little thing can take them down.

Many are hypoglycemic and the owner does not know what to do (and who does); they go into seizures or shock and they are gone. One day of vomiting - they are quickly dehydrated and they are gone. Born with liver shunts, collapsed trachea; enlarged hearts; poor kidneys . .

So sad. Unscrupulous greeders just wanting to make a buck. Selling them too young; and too small; to folks who have no idea what they are getting to. Heartbreak often follows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs