U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 AM

5,982 posts, read 10,549,816 times
I used to belong to this group a looonnnggg time ago - they can help you get started:

rawfeeding : Raw Feeding for dogs and cats!

BARF is more of a mindset than a recipe, but google BARF diet recipes and you will come up with some mixtures folks have tried. As far as how much, some of my dogs are roughly the equivalent of yours. They get about 1/2 - 3/4 C or so of veggie glop and maybe a quarter pound of raw meat, which is approx. 1 chicken back, twice a day. You'll just have to tweak it to find the appropriate amount that keeps your dogs at their optimal weight. If they are overweight, kick up the protein and back off on the carbs. Believe me, they don't gain weight nearly as fast and you will figure out if you're overdoing it. It doesn't look like a lot of food, but remember it is pretty much all straight nutrients that are processed by the body. You're going to have a considerably lessened amount of poop because everything is used by their bodies for the most part. I do whirl up raw egg in the food processor to put in their food a couple of times a week, shell and all (calcium). For smaller dogs the whites of the eggs can cause some problems with anemia if fed in excess, but it isn't enough in larger dogs to matter unless you're feeding straight eggs.

Don't make it harder than it is. It's really so simple, just go about 80% on the meat and the rest in veggies and fruit and you will do fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 12:57 AM

16,418 posts, read 11,009,176 times
A number of years ago we bought two Mastiffs from a man that made all of his own dog food. What he basically cooked was chicken and rice. He bought bulk rice and the large frozen packages of chicken. He's cook up the chicken and de-boned it, cooked up the rice and stirred it together. When those puppies arrived they were in incredible health and had beautiful coats, so it must be working. He showed his dogs as well as breeding.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:07 PM

10,525 posts, read 10,820,516 times
I often feed my dog homemeade food. Trader Joe's sells giant bags of frozen boneless chicken pieces. I cook that up in the microwave, put it into the food processor, add frozen peppers (this cools it off too) and some white rice. My dog is VERY picky and LOVES this.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:59 PM

347 posts, read 668,475 times
Ya'll are going to think I'm nuts but, my wife has a good recipe for our little dogs, a bichon and a pug.

She browns up a pound of , either, ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey.
Some brown rice.
Some diced potatos.
Some diced brocolii.
And some diced carrotts.

Then she throws it all in a crockpot.
I think she throws some water or chicken broth or some other liquid in there too, to moisten it up .

All I know is the dogs love it.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,231 times
Talking Pet food storage

My little chichuahua recently became violently ill, which I believe may have been from "recalled" Pedrigree dog food. I've decided to make him homemade food, but I'd like to know, how long can homemade dog food be stored, if I freeze it?

Old 08-17-2008, 04:26 PM

946 posts, read 1,907,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita De La Cerda View Post
My little chichuahua recently became violently ill, which I believe may have been from "recalled" Pedrigree dog food. I've decided to make him homemade food, but I'd like to know, how long can homemade dog food be stored, if I freeze it?

probably for a couple of months unless your freezer gives "freezer burn" to your foods quickly.

in the fridge, probably 2-3 days.

where did you get your recipes, what do you cook?

Old 08-17-2008, 05:47 PM

946 posts, read 1,907,774 times
Recipes for Dog Food should really be researched well, planned out with proper nutrition etc.

A couple of things that i have learned,
  • A raw food diet may not be a great choice for every pet. Some could do well on an all raw diet others are fine with an occasional raw meal, but some should not have raw at all. I know it doesn't work for one of my kitties, throwing up, diarrhea and just not digesting it right. Before I ever told my holistic vet that i had tried raw a bit, she had said that it wouldn't be good for her. So, the point being is that there is much research to be had with how we feed our pets!
  • Also, i have read much about pork and how dogs and cats should not eat anything from pigs, again having to do with digestion and the certain fats it contains, but everyone could do there own research. These are just things that i have come to find out over the last couple of years!

*I highly recommend getting a book or 2 or 3 to guide you with this process. there are a few natural health care books for dogs and cats with recipes not only general recipes but also specific for certain types of animal conditions. also included, much info re: pet health- food, nutrition, supplements, vaccines, home remedies etc.

These books have helped me greatly learning much i did not know and never realized.

Nature of Animal Healing by: Martin Goldstein, DVM
book

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide To Natural Health For Dogs & Cats by: Richard Pitcairn, DVM
book (http://www.drpitcairn.com/books/pitcairn_book.html - broken link)

The Whole Pet Diet by: Andi Brown

book

The Goldsteins' Wellness & Longevity Program by: Robert S. Goldstein, VMD and Susan J. Goldstein
book

There are some other links that may be useful to you:

recipes:
Homemade Pet Food Recipes

supplements:
What Every Pet Owner Should Know About Supplements

what to avoid:
Dog and Cat Food Ingredients to Avoid

Really hopes this helps for you and your loved ones!!!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,914 times
I recently started feeding my 2yr. old yellow lab and 2yr. old scottie homemade food and they are so much healthier and happier. The scottie has had food allergies since he was a pup and now 3 weeks into this he is healed!!! No more sores, itching, ear infections also his skin always smelled for lack of words cheesy but not anymore!!!! I am so happy! I will never buy dog food again!

Old 03-13-2011, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,914 times
I feed my 75 lb. lab 3 cups of oatmeal,chicken,apples,carrots, twice a day. Sometimes switch it up with peas, sweet potatoes,yams. Sometimes brown rice. Haven't tried fish yet but plan on it.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,733 times
Unhappy Could you help me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
What size dog do you have, Hopes? I've fed an exclusively raw diet for about 10 years, long before raw was in vogue! I have Rottweilers, but I do have some great combos and I can tell you how much you can feed and maybe you can tweak that accordingly?

Why do you think your pet has allergies, and what are you feeding right now? Look on the bag or can - if there is any wheat gluten, corn, or preservatives in there, bang - you've probably hit it, and it most likely is corn. There was a recent thread on Homemade Pet Foods - if you do a search you may come up with some info, but I'll be glad to help you any way I can. My "glop" as it is fondly known around here came from a champion breeder of titled show Rottweilers who has been feeding raw for about 20 years.
I have a 6 year old Rottweiler that I am starting to feed homemade food. I am having trouble finding good recipes that clearly state what a serving size is for it. Satchmo weighs about 140 lbs. (No he is not overweight, he is just on the large size for the breed - he's a mix of American & German Rottie.) He LOVES the homemade food & his coat looks healthier. He is also moving better, running at full out speed like when he was a puppy. I am happy with the switch, but frustrated with the lack of info on how much to feed him. If I put out a huge pot of food, he'd pretty much eat the whole thing! I am supplementing w/calcium & fish oil. I use a mix of meats, veggies, add cottage cheese or yogurt to food. He loves a mix of brown rice & oats. I would appreciate any guidance you could give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs