Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:27 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplewillow View Post
Elvis has a flea allergy. However, there are no fleas in our yard or anywhere on him. I went over him "with a fine toothed comb" and there's not a single one on him. Nor can I find any red spots or other indications to explain his behaviour.

He's biting at himself and running and hiding; isolating himself and acting like things are attacking him. The exact same behaviour he exhibited when I learned he had fleas and a flea allergy a couple of years ago!

Benadryl gives him a brief respite (about 4 hours). But it makes him spooky and fearful as it wears off. If I give him more than one in a 2 day period, he's virtually phsycotic and paranoid.

I bathed him in oatmeal shampoo. I rubbed aloe vera gel into his skin with no results.

I tried a cortizone spray and he acted like it burned him, he even cried out loud in pain!

I bathed him again in a very expensive danged hypo-allergenic shampoo. (I don't begrudge the expense but it didn't work either!)

Now what? Any homeopathic or prescription recommendations out there?

My vet suggested all of these above methods and I am losing confidence in anything else he might say as nothing so far is helping.

My poor baby is miserable and consequently so am I. Any ideas folks?

Thank you so much,
TW
Bath him in a vinegar water solution to help with the itching. Make sure he is getting a good diet and plenty of oils in his food. In fact, go to Whole Foods and buy that product for dog coats -- what is it called? It's about $13 but it has a mix of saflower oil, flax seed oil, fish oil, and so on.

greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 03:40 PM

180 posts, read 957,061 times
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

We are back from the vet. I love this new vet! She did recommend the Tarrific for future use and after this shot wears off. She gave him a depo shot because he is so miserable. His is resting comfortably for the first time this week! Thank goodness!

What I was trying to say in the OP was that he was acting like a flea allergy even though he had no fleas. It turns out that this is a seasonal allergy related to pollens etc.

He had a mild case of it last year and I bathed him hypoallergenic soap for sensitive skin that has an anesthesia in it. It went away immediately and he had no more troubles. But this time..... oh wow! full eruption of skin irritations! Nothing was working!

Vet says this happens with some dogs and other animals. If he has no probs with his environment or diet at any other time then it is likely outside pollens etc. Seasonal.

So I won't be changing his diet or treats. But I will be taking him to the vet at the first sign of another case of this next summer!!!!

Thanks again to all the caring posters that made an attempt to give me some great advice!!!!!! Ya'll are the best!

Happy snores from Elvis

TW

Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
Sounds like shes hit the nail on the head, thats pretty much what my vet told me. The breeder reccomended the Tarific to me also.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
To the OP sometimes the vet can give the dog a cortisone pill, this will give him relief from the inflammation: the itching will stop, if he is scratching until he bleeds, the water may hurt his skin. Do take him to a vet who has been practicing at least 10-20 years. Good luck.

sunny

Old 08-23-2007, 04:31 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,219,750 times
Glad to see that Elvis is resting comfortably!

Same thing with Cassy, and now that you know you can catch it early. The vet makes all the difference in the world in more ways than one. Just as important to find a new one, just like with us and our doctors.

Cassy also sneezes during her "allergy time" and she snorts, almost like she is trying to catch her breath, which my vet here in NC said was due to allergy's also. It's great that you finally have the answers you have been looking for.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:41 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Glad to hear that he's ok. A friend had a dobie that every fall he would turn red an ichy from playing in leaves! So a week befor the leaves fell she started his meds. & stopped the meds 1 week after all the leaves were gone.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM

180 posts, read 957,061 times
I swear in all the years I have been a mom to so many critters, I never had one with seasonal allergies!
allergic to some shampoos, foods, materials... but never just pollens!

ACK!

Well, I won't wait next year. I can promise you that. I already promised Elvis. At the first sign of it, he goes for meds. I prefer holistic treatments and always have but hey! I will do whatever it takes to keep my precious family member well!

Thanks again folks. You really ARE the BEST!

TW

Old 08-28-2007, 06:59 AM

10 posts, read 29,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplewillow View Post
P.S.

I just ordered the Tar-rific relief spray. Thank you for the link.

TW
im sorry to hear about your dog, my lad has a skin problem i was told from a vet in the uk he has an allergy from dust mites, but now i live in spain the vets have tested him and he has ringworm, he must of picked it up from over the park land i take him, but i would def get another vets opion, and also try frontline it works on fles and ticks etc, and try asking about xspot, that controls mosquitos and fles and ticks, i wash my dog with tea tree shampoo, that calms his skin down, he is on 3 weeks of antibiotics at the moment for the ringworm, but think he still has an allergy to dust mites, but i have no carpet, just tiles, just a thought, hope he will be better soon, must be driving him mad and you, let me know if u get any of these products, and let me know if the spray you have works,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs