U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 AM

431 posts, read 1,011,934 times

Advertisements

My eight month old australian shepherd/poodle mix has a bad habit of eating out of the litter box. I'm considering getting a doggie gate to put up. Since my one cat is old, it would have to be one of the ones with the little door for cats. I'm just afraid that my dog will get through. She's about 25 pounds and 17'. Does anyone have any experience with those gates? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,845,700 times
I have a friend with dogs and cats and she has a doggie gate with a small entrance for the cats, she had to modify the entrance because her smaller dog could still get through. She just used some duct tape to make it smaller...cats can squeeze through the smallest entrances.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,237,851 times
Yes, she'll get through the door. My pittie, who was about 40 or 45 lbs when I got her, squeezed through one of those doors. Just get a regular baby gate and put it in the doorway a few inches off the floor so the cat can slip underneath it.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 AM

431 posts, read 1,011,934 times
Thanks for the quick responses. I do like the idea of putting a regular baby gate a little higher, but I think my old cat will have a hard time slipping under.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,839,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Yes, she'll get through the door. My pittie, who was about 40 or 45 lbs when I got her, squeezed through one of those doors. Just get a regular baby gate and put it in the doorway a few inches off the floor so the cat can slip underneath it.

this is what i do ... i have a couple of wood baby gates that i got at walmart for about $10 each.... dave COULD leap over it from a standstill, but so far, it doesn't seem to have occurred to him....

i have had to put mine directly onto the floor... roxie is small enough that if the gate is raised off the floor enough for Charlie-Chubby-Cat to go under, roxie can too.... charlie has figured out how to jump over the gate, and so far, roxie has not.... hoping its not just a matter of time for THAT, though.....

Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,182,706 times
I got one of those gates for my parents and sure enough when we visited Dash who was 50lbs had no problem getting through the door that claimed it was large enough for a 15 lb cat! My dad modified it buy covering half with a board on each side and bolting the two boards together.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM

36,635 posts, read 41,915,690 times
Our house has few actual doors, mostly open doorways and archways dividing rooms, and we went the baby gate route to try and confine our dog during our quest to not have crating be the only option. The $10 wood frame baby gates didn't cut it, so after those failed, we went with a more rugged all-heavy plastic model with a pretty tight tension support. Our 35-pound beagle mix figured out quickly how to jump it. We raised it so that the gap at the bottom was not quite big enough to squeeze under, figuring that would make it tall enough not to jump over. That worked, so he just rammed himself INTO it and bowled it completely over. A beagle's nose will not be deterred by anything but a chew-proof steel door, really. We eventually went with the crate, after numerous defeats to our ingenuity.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 AM

17,825 posts, read 20,226,181 times
I have been using a metal gate to keep my dogs from coming up-stairs when I am not at home for the last three years with great success. They also include one with a small cat gate.

Carlson Pet Gates Extra Wide Walk Thru Gate with Pet Door Metal Dog Gates

Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,237,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have been using a metal gate to keep my dogs from coming up-stairs when I am not at home for the last three years with great success. They also include one with a small cat gate.

Carlson Pet Gates Extra Wide Walk Thru Gate with Pet Door Metal Dog Gates
Yes, that's the one I have. It's well made, but whoever designed it obviously didn't test it out with medium sized dogs.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,370,890 times
When we used a gate for this purpose, we positioned the gate about 5 inches off the ground -- high enough for the cat to get under but too low for the dog. Would that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or