U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,016,817 times

Advertisements

http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/o...rent=012-1.mp4

Give me a sec to make sure the link works right. LOL

Had the kids outside today playing and grabbed the camera. Someone had made a point in another thread that they'd seen a pit-type dog run at them and their dog and were afraid it was going to attack, just to have it want to play. That's something that always bothered me - people assume they're aggressive because of the way they run full force when they're excited or because they see them play and think they're aggressive.

The dogs in the video are Diva, a tan Staffie that's about 5 years old. Randy, an APBT / Great Dane mix that's about 3 years old. Munchi, a Boxer / Boston Terrier mix that's about 3 years old. And just over half way through the video, Angus a Chihuahua / Terrier mix of some kind that's about 4 years old. Randy and Munchi play like this multiple times a day and are usually much more active and loud in their play. This was a lazy wrestling match. But to anyone that's not used to dogs, it could look like they're fighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Default Those man eating pitbulls............again

Give me a sec to make sure the link works right. LOL

Had the kids outside today playing and grabbed the camera. Someone had made a point in another thread that they'd seen a pit-type dog run at them and their dog and were afraid it was going to attack, just to have it want to play. That's something that always bothered me - people assume they're aggressive because of the way they run full force when they're excited or because they see them play and think they're aggressive.

The dogs in the video are Diva, a tan Staffie that's about 5 years old. Randy, an APBT / Great Dane mix that's about 3 years old. Munchi, a Boxer / Boston Terrier mix that's about 3 years old. And just over half way through the video, Angus a Chihuahua / Terrier mix of some kind that's about 4 years old. Randy and Munchi play like this multiple times a day and are usually much more active and loud in their play. This was a lazy wrestling match. But to anyone that's not used to dogs, it could look like they're fighting.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Ok, I can't get it to embed like I want. This opens to a new window in my Photobucket account, but either way you can see the video.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,226,567 times
That's true, and my girls get so freaking noisy when they play outside! We have a privacy fence, you'd think there was a dog fight going on at times. I shush them and they tone it down after a minute or so.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:35 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,226,567 times
OK, the video wasn't there when I posted, but now it is. I like the 3 dog hump train that they had going for a minute there! LOL.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 AM

3,083 posts, read 3,426,845 times
Great video. They look like they're having a world of fun.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 AM

22,707 posts, read 16,808,575 times
"Everybody Conga!"

hehehehe

Anyway, this COULD have turned in to a brawl IF, for example, this had taken place at a dog park and the PEOPLE there, who don't know that the dogs are playing as well as communicating to each other in their "brawls", got all hyped up and started yelling and carrying on, freaking out like I have seen people do at dog parks all. the. time. when it's just dogs playing.

Because the people freak out, the dogs freak out and that's when innocent play and communication can turn in to a fight.

But this? A fight? HARDLY! Yes, it's play but again, there is communication going on, as well, between these dogs. If people do not understand dog language, (body language especially), they really, REALLY should not have dogs.

My dogs do this at times...hell, it sounds even worse than this. They sometimes go at it and it sounds like they are going to kill each other. Sounds like. That's all.

There have been times they have gotten in to brawls because sometimes when the boy chases the girl and he does actually catch her, he'll pin her down, bite her neck and drag her around like prey, (he's got a very high prey drive), and she gets a little ticked about that and goes after him. If it's starting to get too nasty, I'll tell them, "ENOUGH!" and they stop. If I let them have it out, it's usually over in seconds. And guess what? They go back to playing and chasing each other.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:04 AM

10,611 posts, read 13,138,122 times
This brings back memories for me.

The dogs are socializing and playing canine-style. Some dogs get exited, run forward and jump but don't realize the distance/impact. I had about 6 years ago a pitbull/great dane mix, Nikki. Huge, but sweet dog. Taking her into the yard to play there were many times she knocked me over! With the cute doggy smile and panting. She also had a friend in my neighbor's Pomeranian and they used to play like this. That was the last dog i ever had after she died as a matter of fact.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:49 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,379,951 times
I really wish I had taken pictures of the Plotts we watched for a week.

Two people thought they were Pitts.

Even when they did leave I was attached to them.....just me.

They looked like this.

http://www.nationalplotthoundassociation.org/

Brindle

Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM

603 posts, read 1,755,831 times

shhhh don't tell the cat that shes surrounded by killer monsters

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs