U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 AM

1,403 posts, read 841,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC&Sandy View Post
Thank you this is great. I do have a crate, but it's the XXL, do you suggest I get a smaller one while he is still small. I have a 8 week old GSD and I know he will be large soon, but in the meantime, it may just be too much for him in the other room. My house is not that huge to take that big crate from room to room. I will check into borrowing a smaller one for now and keep in bedroom. What do you think? He stays right by my side. I am in wheelchair and I think he's having a little separation anxiety.
When my dog was little I borrowed a size-appropriate crate for him to stay in at night...he could stand, turn, get settled in it, but there wasn't enough room for him to pace. As he got older I switched him up to a larger crate, then an even larger one when he was close to fully grown. I think that with some dogs, having the extra room can be detrimental when you want them to learn to settle down and sleep, and with pups who aren't yet housebroken, if the crate is too big, they may be tempted to soil one part of it. When pups are very young they don't want to feel alone (abandoned), so if they know the person is at least in the same room with them when it's dark, I think it can be a great comfort to them.

When my pup came home with me at 9 weeks old, I already had his puppy crate set up next to my bed. I do believe this helped him to be calm and relaxed at night, as he knew I was in the room with him. He never once cried or woke up during the night. [Mind you, this was also probably part of his personality, but I had no issues with him at all with regard to crate training.] I also didn't allow him to follow me absolutely everywhere in the house as he was growing (as a border collie, they can be notorious for shadowing their owners and not wanting to be left without them). Every so often I'd tell him to stay if I was going into another room, or if I had to go outdoors for a few moments. I think that helped to curb any separation anxiety issues before they began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:52 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,184,166 times
Many crates come with dividers you can put in to make a large crate into a small one when a dog is a puppy. They have this setup becuase if the pup has room to potty in one side of the crate and then lie down in the other side, it won't help with housebreaking. I would bet you could buy a replacement divider for your size crate online. Good luck with your new puppy!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,563,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
We are trying to get the puppy used to his crate, even for a few minutes at a time and he is HOWLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last night he had to sleep on a pillow on the floor near the bed so we could get some sleep. Please give advice
Susan Garrett's Crate Games will help. As will a long lasting food-stuffed Kong at bedtime.

https://youtu.be/KgEhPI7b5B8

Your dog's food stuffed Kong doesn't last long enough?

Twelvepaw has a good crate games video...hopefully she will post it here.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:55 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,212,151 times
Susan Garrett's Crate Games- worth every single penny; teaches foundation behavior for impulse control, how to work with distractions, creating drive, how to create value, and much more using the crate:
https://www.clickerdogs.com/crate_games.php

Crate Games- adapted from Susan Garrett's protocols; this is more easily done with a wire crate but a hardsided crate can be used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HNO79bZMY

Spend the money for Susan Garrett's Crate Games DVD- you will be glad you did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or