Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Same girl! She is the smartest dog I have ever been around, and she constantly amazes me with how many words she can pick out of our conversation. Unless we mean business, "treat, outside, frisbee, shoes, 'look who's here', walk, door, toy, bone, eat, downstairs, and upstairs" are all words that we try to avoid in conversation because they provoke a response.
It's funny when they learn english.
And it's funnier when you realize that they have understood you the whole time and have just been ignoring you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 AM

831 posts, read 1,958,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And it's funnier when you realize that they have understood you the whole time and have just been ignoring you.
Now that's pretty funny, and painfully true.

My son Satan [my husband's name for him, HIS NAME IS BEAR!] chats his teeth on the arm of the armchair he sits in. And he watches me at the same time. I feel his eyes on me and hear him chatting his teeth like that and I'll say 'Bear Cub stop it.' He's continuing to watch me and continuing to do it, albeit more slowly like he's waiting to see if I really meant it.

Then I pop the usual follow up question when it comes to him, "didn't I ask you to stop it?"

He stops, slams his chin down on the arm of the chair and {{{HEAVY SIGH}}}

Lordy I have a teen boy in the house.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 AM

831 posts, read 1,958,577 times
Oh and as for associations - collars coming off = BATH TIME. I take a collar off, turn around to put in on the counter, all of a sudden I'm 1 dog short while 2 other collared dogs are standing there staring at me with a suspicious look.

Disappearing dogs when the collars come off!!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,358,472 times
Boy do I know those heavy sighs! "I never get to do anything!"
Regarding dogs speaking English, I realized how crappy my attitude had gotten last winter. I looked outside at the snow covered streets, knowing it was as warm as it was going to get for the day, and told my husband, "Well, I guess we might as well get it over with" and here came the dogs, ready to put their leashes on.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,892,053 times
Another ridiculous association that Artie has relates to the fact that, I swear, he can tell time.

We go for our nighttime walk at the same time each evening. It doesn't matter if he was out running in the backyard just 15 minutes before that time, or if he's fast asleep on my lap while we're watching a movie. When THAT TIME is on the clock, Artie jumps off my lap, sits at my feet, and gives me the stare-down. "It's THAT TIME! Let's GO, lady!"

I guess he's just like me -- a creature of habit and not much for spontaneity.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,958,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I love that girl!
me too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
HA! NO doubt!!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,266,602 times
My MIL swears her granddog can count to 3. He won't budge until he gets his third treat from her. She has spoiled him as much as I have.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,358,472 times
My dogs love birthdays because they get a bite of cake for the special occasion. One time my husband was singing "Happy birthday to you" to someone on the phone. My dear departed boy Jake ran into the kitchen and seemed quite indignant to find there was no cake to be seen anywhere.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:22 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
LOL! Y'all have made me laugh so much!

Totally with the dinner time staring. My wife usually feeds the dogs when she gets home at 4:30 or 5. If she is home, they start staring at her (my oldest usually) around 4 or 4:30. What's hilarious is that I tell her to ignore them, but she can't! She finds it maddening! They don't bother staring at me because they know I don't care. I'll feed them at 5 if I'm the one feeding them. They stare at her on the weekends, because she is the one who makes them breakfast omelets.

They have her trained.

How hilarious is it that someone (somedog) staring at you can make you that nutsy?

Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,552,505 times
These are cracking me up!

One very troublesome one: when my phone rings, or when I make a call, my dog shreds her blanket. It also happens if someone else is here and they get a call. Something about the phone sends her into hyper-destructive mode. It's the oddest thing. Sometimes she skips her blanket and goes right for paperwork. Since I work from home, you can imagine how thrilled I am by all of this...she's getting better at staying in the crate during my meetings without barking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs