U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 AM

5,850 posts, read 8,793,826 times

Advertisements

Do your dogs make funny associations?

When I brush my teeth in the morning, my dog runs to her crate. She must associate it with my leaving the house, and she knows she gets a good treat when she goes to her crate. Ha! Interestingly, she doesn't do this at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,770,422 times
Whenever we turn on the house alarm, Dylan heads for his crate. Means we are either leaving the house or going to bed....He's rather lie in his big comfy crate...door always open.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,078,786 times
Haha, this one is kind of bizarre. Whenever I pick up my violin to head out for my lesson, my dog runs and stands over his leash/harness. Yes I take him for walks everyday but Tuesdays - no time due to the lessons. He thinks I'm just going to carry this giant black bag with us

Old 10-19-2011, 10:57 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,417,216 times
If we pack any into the truck, Niles thinks we are going on a road trip. He will quickly alert all the dogs.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times
We leave our shoes by the door so, of course both labs know if we are leaving.

Bear knows when I turn on my cell phone.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times
Because I work from home, I never wear real clothes -- I wear PJ bottoms and t-shirts. So, as soon as I pull on a pair of jeans (or, really, as soon as I take any pair of pants out of the closet), Artie goes to his room and goes to sleep because he knows that means that I'm going out.

This one's bad: As soon as I make ANY movement away from my desk, Artie thinks we're going to the backyard.

He understands words, too. When I try to lure him inside from the backyard, sometimes "chicken" won't work. I have to say, "Want to lie down with me?" He bolts inside, runs to the living room, grabs a toy, runs to the guest room, and hops on the bed. Well, then really, I don't want to be called a liar, so I have to lie down with him!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM

9,228 posts, read 18,864,047 times
The last thing I do before leaving for work in the morning is blow-dry my hair. Shermyn always has to bark (annoyingly & loudly)to tell me goodbye (or more likely to scold me for leaving) when I leave.

Then he started barking when I just turn on the hairdryer.

Now he starts barking when he hears me (very quietly) getting the hair-dryer out of the bathroom cabinet, before I even turn it on. Pretty soon, he'll probably just barking as soon as my alarm goes off when I get up, and bark for the whole hour until I leave....

Old 10-19-2011, 02:18 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The last thing I do before leaving for work in the morning is blow-dry my hair. Shermyn always has to bark (annoyingly & loudly)to tell me goodbye (or more likely to scold me for leaving) when I leave.

Then he started barking when I just turn on the hairdryer.

Now he starts barking when he hears me (very quietly) getting the hair-dryer out of the bathroom cabinet, before I even turn it on. Pretty soon, he'll probably just barking as soon as my alarm goes off when I get up, and bark for the whole hour until I leave....
Oh,.....the alarm clock.

Bear likes to sleep in so, he can not imagine why we would have anything with no other purpose than to wake us up.

When I set it at night I can just see how stupid he thinks it is.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,982,894 times
When I get really dressed - not just shoes, but hair brushed and 'real' clothes on - Munchi knows I'm leaving the house and starts crying and following me everywhere.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,982,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Because I work from home, I never wear real clothes -- I wear PJ bottoms and t-shirts. So, as soon as I pull on a pair of jeans (or, really, as soon as I take any pair of pants out of the closet), Artie goes to his room and goes to sleep because he knows that means that I'm going out.

This one's bad: As soon as I make ANY movement away from my desk, Artie thinks we're going to the backyard.

He understands words, too. When I try to lure him inside from the backyard, sometimes "chicken" won't work. I have to say, "Want to lie down with me?" He bolts inside, runs to the living room, grabs a toy, runs to the guest room, and hops on the bed. Well, then really, I don't want to be called a liar, so I have to lie down with him!
I'm forever amazed at how smart Artie is and how well he's trained you. And so fast! You must be pretty smart too!!

You've got to tell me how you got a work at home job! I've been looking for months. Figured with John's latest health issues working from home may be my only option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or