U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM

23 posts, read 57,165 times

Advertisements

I have a small dog who weighs 10lbs (fostering him) that I've been taking every 4 weeks to a groomer. I've been paying $53 for the full thing and wondering what people in other parts are paying for this type of service. I'm in the southern part of the US now. Just curious and especially wondering what people pay in high cost areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,711,164 times
I finally gave in and bought my own grooming tools and haven't been back to a regular groomer in a couple of years. Five dogs adds up grooming charges pretty quickly. But, the local indy shop charges between $30 to $35 for a full groom, figure another $5 for a tip if you're happy.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 PM

29,735 posts, read 16,481,599 times
I've been paying about $40 per dog. Yikes! That adds up when you have two ~ plus a tip.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times
I pay 45 for my 15 lb bichon. now we have another dog too and I will have to start doing it myself.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 PM

575 posts, read 894,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where's Kitty View Post
I have a small dog who weighs 10lbs (fostering him) that I've been taking every 4 weeks to a groomer. I've been paying $53 for the full thing and wondering what people in other parts are paying for this type of service. I'm in the southern part of the US now. Just curious and especially wondering what people pay in high cost areas.
Unless your dog is matted with longer hair, there is no reason to spend so much! I worked out a deal once with a groomer convincing her that I would be a regular customer coming at least once a month and what I was willing to pay which was $35. I now have four dogs and did the same thing with a different groomer, an independent groomer and now pay $40 a dog where she usually charges $50 and up. If you don't have a high maintanance dog, you may want to consider doing the grooming yourself and just keep the dog short.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,516,144 times
about 5 years ago when I had my shih tzu, I was paying about $60/trip (including tip) to get her clipped in a puppy cut. I spent just under $250/year. $53/month is way too high. actually, taking a dog to a groomer every 4 weeks seems like a lot to me. either way, I would find a new groomer or see if you can do some grooming at home or at a self service place

Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 AM

4,210 posts, read 12,521,760 times
(Florida) I pay $30 and take my Bichon/Wheaten for a basic bath and cut every 6 to 8 weeks. I suppose if he had a foo-foo cut of some sort it would cost more. But you know, I'd pay more if our groomer charged more because I really like her and her set-up. She has her grooming business in her house and only has one dog at a time, so when finished getting coiffed, my dog gets the run of her house and her backyard as if he was her own until I arrive to pick him up.

This site says a small dog grooming averages $30-50 Cost of a Dog Grooming - Get Prices and Information - CostHelper.com Based on this, $53 is on the high side.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 AM

19,435 posts, read 17,681,328 times
I have a shiztu/chuhuahua mix and am about to pay $40 including tip to have her first grooming. The groomer is mobil and comes to our house to groom her. She did our husky back in June and charged us $60 with tip.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:50 AM

581 posts, read 1,035,922 times
I don't have little dogs but I'm just here to see the prices on grooming for the smaller ones. I have two big dogs, a pitty and Lab/Collie/ mutt mix, and it's a handful. I had to get better at grooming my pitty because it was a waste for him. He's so social and calm that I was spending $50+ to have an office full of groomers play with him. My lab mix is a handful and due to his former abuse, does not like anyone other myself or my SO to touch his legs, paws, hind quarters, and tail. It was so bad. Groomers would turn us away and it got to the point were we had to visit a vet who would essentially, drug him, to calm him down and to let us groom. Luckily, I found a vet tech who grooms the bigger dogs and has his own way. But he's pricey so I just use him for paws and clipping.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 AM

23 posts, read 57,165 times
I started using this place after some poor experiences. I had tried another shop before this one and they charged $42(I think) and it was such an ugly haircut. They had shaved a line on his back leading to his side with a wrong clip and cut his nails so badly that they bled on my car seats. They also required that I dropped off 7-8am and picked up after 4pm. I had to take him to one of those big stores a couple days later to have it matched. Some hair was an inch or two long and some was shaved bare. He then got nicked on his private area and under his neck and nothing was said to me. They really tried to sell me on the extra services and it took 6 hours for them to call. I just didn't feel right about leaving him for that long.

Now this place is $53+$20 tip but he is done in less than 2 hours and they just really seem to do a great job. Plus my dog RUNS to the door and starts scratching at it so they let him in the back! I am more than 100% happy but was really just wondering what other parts of the US pay. The 4 week schedule really works well at keeping him looking great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or