U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,032,063 times

Advertisements

I'm glad she's doing well, thanks for the update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,727,565 times
the good news is, with a HEALTHY adult dog (2 yrs and older) the risks associated with parvo decline and the likleyhood of survival increases exponentially. its very rare for a HEALTHY adult dog to die of parvo...

but your yard is a danger zone for about 18 months to puppies and dogs with no resistnce.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 700 times
READ CAREFULLY MY PUPPY MADE IT THREW PARVO. My German shepherd mix is now 12 weeks old and i got her at four weeks from a random person the day I brought her home her poop was normal she was eating but threw up once. The next day she slept all day and only got up to go diarrhea which smelled like blood/iron and threw up again and didn't want to drink her puppy milk. The next day was the same except she only drank a little bit of milk so we called the vet and decided to take her the next day. The next day we took her to the vet and she was alert and moving around in my arms the vet took tests said she was positive with parvo. The vet was surprised he said she looked good meaning they found it in the early stages and gave me medicines like antibiotics and nausea medicine the antibiotics was enough to last two weeks and we did at home treatment since couldn't afford hospital stay. For the first week we made sure she ate and drank and gave her pedialyte none flavor and she slowly stopped sleeping so many hours and played more each day we bleached the house a lot and bleached where she pooped and gave her baths to cool her off because German shepherd get really hot. Before the antibiotics ran out I ordered real powered goat milk for her on ebay because it has antibodies do not boil, boiling and microwaving kills off the antibodies she took that mixed with puppy milk once a day. That kept her immune system up in case she was still fighting it and I put yogurt in the goat milk to help even more. My beautiful German shepherd mix pulled threw and hasn't relapsed with parvo and I'm so happy after all the stress she's alive and happy and just being a 12 week puppy!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 24,294 times
My neighbors dog just died of parvo, now my 7 month old dog whom is very loved is also showing signs of this, this morning I woke up to a normal stool but in the house which she never does an 3 piles of throw up one of them that looked like bile an foam. About 3 weeks ago I thought she had largo she was very sick, throwing up, diarrhea an very lethargic. I gave her 24 hour care an she pulled through. I would take her to the vet with my last if I had it but I don't!! I need advise, my neighbor has been so great she's giving me her dogs prescriptions that she didn't have a chance to fill an an extra needle an I.v bag, my dog also regularly takes bully max vitamins and has for about 3 months I'm hoping this helps her immune system. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:56 AM

3,748 posts, read 6,124,727 times
Chicken broth, Gatorade or Peadialite, fluids....the dog needs plenty of fluids as this will be what is key in pulling the dog through.
Parvovirus is not what kills the dog, it's everything that Parvo causes that does, it is mainly thr dehydration that will kill them.
Unless you know how to administer an IV, don't do it. You could cause more harm than good. Saline solution can be administered under the skin, but again unless you know how, not a wise option.

The dog probably won't drink on its own, so you will need to force down fluids. Some large syringe (no needle) or a turkey baster, or some other tool that you can fill with liquid and put in the dogs mouth to force the fluids down. Don't go straight into the mouth, go from between the teeth and gums and more towards the back. Go slow and rub the neck gently so they swallow.
With enough fluids, the dog will pull through.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 418 times
Hi there I have a 15 week lab puppy. She received her first shot last Tuesday and soon after experienced soft poop not quite diarrhea. On Sunday morning her poop was more watery and kind of mucous like. When she didn't want to eat I took her to the vet straight away. He tested her and she tested positive for parvo . She stayed at the vet from 10 till 6 on fluids and mess then came home. She vomited once and had really bad diarrhea twice. In the morning she seemed to be more energetic and not feel to I'll. We took her back to the vet from 9 til 6 for the same treatment. Tonight she isn't looking to well, no diarrhea but vomited quiet a few times. Tomorrow she goes back again. I am so worried and I just pray that she recovers please any pointers or prayers welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs