U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 06:24 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,192,785 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a list of dog food manufacturers that do not purchase their "meat meal" from rendering plants that include diseased animals, road kill, and euthanized pets in their mixtures? Most of the common dog food manufacturers do, but I have yet to find a list of ones that don't.

I don't have the time nor energy to go raw and/or make my own dog food, but I would like to feed my dog (and fosters) quality food even if it costs more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,371,559 times
Champion Pet Foods.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:07 PM

573 posts, read 1,475,954 times
I had to feed one of my dogs a raw diet years ago and it was a pain in the butt, but well worth it. I don't know any petfoods that don't include diseased animals, etc., but I do know that there are vet's offices and specialty pet shops that sell raw food already prepared. Maybe see if any are in your neighborhood? My vet sells some and surprisingly I found a shop down the street from me that sells raw also. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,192,785 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see if I can find those. I see that Champion (by Orijen?) is rated very highly. Is it difficult to find in stores?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,250,588 times
I feed mine Orijen (from Champion Foods). Not only is it the best food I've ever given my dogs but after a few months on it, I've never had dogs with such soft coats. My Rottrador literally feels like suede and my GSD and Blue Heeler feel puppy soft once again. I also mix in a little raw lamb or raw chicken from Nature's Variety with it. I've never seen such happy tails at dinner time and for once I've been able to find a food that all three seem to like.

I currently feed the Six Fish formula but Orijen is made to switch between formulas for an occasional change. In other words, you could go out and buy the Original Formula or the Regional Red and not have to worry about slowly transitioning them over. I have tried the Original and the Regional Red with much success. They seem to actually like the Regional Red the best but it's a little rich for them and their stool loosened up just a tad. I've had best overall results with the Six Fish but none of them are bad in any way whatsoever.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,783,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Does anyone have a list of dog food manufacturers that do not purchase their "meat meal" from rendering plants that include diseased animals, road kill, and euthanized pets in their mixtures? Most of the common dog food manufacturers do, but I have yet to find a list of ones that don't.

I don't have the time nor energy to go raw and/or make my own dog food, but I would like to feed my dog (and fosters) quality food even if it costs more.
As ilovebdj said, it will be near impossible to know. A company that claims they don;t use these in their pet food can legally include them and make that claim. You have to understand the arms lenght exemption which basicaly says if they buy anything and never ask, specify, or include the objectionable products in the pet food, they are not required to list or acknwledge its presence. So they buy rendered meat meal from XYZ company. XYZ never discloses the source of the meal. The manufacture never asked them the source of the meal. The manufacture never asked them to inclued the objectionable items in the meal. So the arms lenght exemption exist and even if its in the meal, they can say they don;t include it.

A well known ploy is when pet foods claim there are no preservatives in their food even though there are lots of it. they don;t include it themself. What they do is buy packaging that already incudes it in the package but they never asked the maker of the package to include it and the makers never told anyone they included it (they advertise a new stay fresh packaging only) so the opet food company can stand in front of you and claim they add no preservatives.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,781,834 times
I really think that ended over a decade ago. There was a huge study with pentobarbital in pet food and I think the process ended.

Not to say that there is not some nasty stuff in pet foods particularly those that say meat meal, animal digest etc. but I think a few have nice ingredients. I am feeding the puppy Fromm right now and have not heard anything bad about them - I am so pleased I am going to cut my adult dogs over to the Surf and Turf grain free and some other foods they have; I like the lower ash content than some of the other grain frees and the not so high protein (30% vs 42% - my dogs blood proteins were too high on the Evo we were feeding him)

Old 10-27-2011, 08:21 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,092,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post

I use Orijen and at times Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Orijen is not sold at our Pet store, but I can buy at our feed store, Blue Buffalo is available at Petco.

Link to Blue Buffalo
Blue Buffalo - Healthy Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Small Breed, Large Breed, Adult and Senior Dogs.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
You can check here
Dog Food Reviews by Brand

Not all dog foods use meat meal especially the 4-5 star ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or