Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 07:30 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times

Advertisements

How would I go about getting one thats not from a puppy mill? I've looked into pug rescue groups and pet finder, I just dont know what to look for to make sure that im not being led astray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
First, contact your local breed club, they usually have a pug rescue associated with them and would be a good place to start. Also, often breeders will "grow out" a dog that might not meet the "show" criteria and you can find a dog that way too.

Second, Anytime someone is looking for a specific breed, the first place to contact is the local breed club and do some meet and greet so they can get to know you, find out what your looking for. Learn about the breed as much as you can, health issues, temperment, training issues...etc.

While, breed rescues tend to be a bit better there are some that are well should we say better than others. Pugs are very popular right now and I'm sure there are plenty out there looking for homes.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Rescues are a great way to find them. There are breed specific and non specific. Either is fine.

The biggest and easiest way to find out if you're dealing with a legit rescue on Petfinder is by looking at all the dogs they have available. If most are puppies and very young adults and purebred or the popular mixed breeds, they're probably a backyard breeder posing as a rescue. Walk away.

Second, you can ask for references and ask questions of a rescue you find. Where do they get their dogs? If from shelters, can you know what shelter and call them to confirm that? What vet and / or clinic do they use and can you call them? Do they know the rescue well? Also, former adopters are a good contact to have. How was the adoption process and have they had contact since the adoption.

Finding a good rescue is actually pretty easy. Just takes some calls and time.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
i work with a pug rescue here in the st. louis area .... that adopts a LOT of dogs to people in the new england states.... if you are interested, let me know and i will send you their name....

Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i work with a pug rescue here in the st. louis area .... that adopts a LOT of dogs to people in the new england states.... if you are interested, let me know and i will send you their name....

Thanks you can dm me

Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Thanks you can dm me

done!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs