U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:13 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,811,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Vet at three. Dinner at six an hour and a half in the other direction. Days like this make me wish the vet was closer! LOL

He's been fine all day. He's been pestering Munch like he always does, doing all he can to convince her royal highness to wrestle with him. He gave up after a while and took a nap with me, totally normal for him. Eating, drinking normally. I just know I'm going to go in and they're going to roll their eyes at me again. But at least I'll have peace of mind and know he's ok.

I hear ya on Google D. I should probably de-activate any google searches that have to do with pets. Whether it be finding illnesses or finding more pets! LOL Although last night it led me to some great surgery videos for them. Even seen a heart surgery done on a dog or a C-section on a mastiff? How about a neuter on a dog with a broken jaw too? Was pretty fascinating!
You should be a vet, or assistant - I can't stomach any of that stuff. I faint at the sight of blood, seriously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,982,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You should be a vet, or assistant - I can't stomach any of that stuff. I faint at the sight of blood, seriously!
Took a vet tech course years ago. And a nursing course. My favorite video ever was a heart surgery on a 6 month old FETUS. It was amazing!! They opened mom and removed this unbelievably perfectly formed super tiny human and cut it open and repaired the heart. Put baby back in the womb and put the amniotic fluid back in. Mom went full term and when baby was born there was no scar from the surgery. They said the amniotic fluid heals the skin while they're in the womb. Amazing surgery and nearly 20 years later I'm still amazed by it. Wound up going into law enforcement instead. More of an adrenaline rush! LOL

Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,630,359 times
Quote:
Took a vet tech course years ago. And a nursing course. My favorite video ever was a heart surgery on a 6 month old FETUS. It was amazing!! They opened mom and removed this unbelievably perfectly formed super tiny human and cut it open and repaired the heart. Put baby back in the womb and put the amniotic fluid back in. Mom went full term and when baby was born there was no scar from the surgery. They said the amniotic fluid heals the skin while they're in the womb. Amazing surgery and nearly 20 years later I'm still amazed by it. Wound up going into law enforcement instead. More of an adrenaline rush! LOL
I almost fainted just from *reading* that.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM

LOL. Mr Tuffy is fine. Phew!

They said he has intestinal parasites. Yuck, but could have been worse. He got Drontal, dipped in peanut butter since he was so very good at the vet's office. The other dogs have a liquid de-wormer but it's not Panacur. I'll check the bottle in a sec. Two days treatment, once a day, and the amount of medication is less. They'll all be treated again in a week.

They said some dogs are just very sensitive to the parasites and get something or other enteritis. He said he may not have shown symptoms again for a month or more, so I'm glad I took him in when I did. Although my first reaction had been to just de-worm him, which would have been cheaper for sure. Now that the rescue has cut back to just a few dogs at at time we're not meeting our numbers in the contract I signed a few years ago, so now we get charged an office visit, which we never have before. Bummer. Hadn't counted on that. And in all honesty, they have been great about it for over a year now. So I really can't complain.

The important part is nothing was seriously wrong. A couple treatments and he'll be good as new. And I took advantage of the trip there to put up a new adoptions flyer with all the foster kids. Maybe we'll find homes for at least one of them.

oh, and he was a hit while we were there. I took Munch too and the two of them were wrestling and playing all over the office. People were cracking up at them. They are quite a pair. I'll actually miss him when he's adopted because he keeps Munch when she's in piranha mood from chewing on me!

Oh - the dewormer is oxfendazole. Haven't ever used it for any of our dogs before. *shrug*

Last edited by mrs1885; 10-25-2011 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Added dewormer name

Old 10-25-2011, 05:35 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,811,377 times
Quote:
LOL. Mr Tuffy is fine. Phew!

They said he has intestinal parasites. Yuck, but could have been worse. He got Drontal, dipped in peanut butter since he was so very good at the vet's office. The other dogs have a liquid de-wormer but it's not Panacur. I'll check the bottle in a sec. Two days treatment, once a day, and the amount of medication is less. They'll all be treated again in a week.

They said some dogs are just very sensitive to the parasites and get something or other enteritis. He said he may not have shown symptoms again for a month or more, so I'm glad I took him in when I did. Although my first reaction had been to just de-worm him, which would have been cheaper for sure. Now that the rescue has cut back to just a few dogs at at time we're not meeting our numbers in the contract I signed a few years ago, so now we get charged an office visit, which we never have before. Bummer. Hadn't counted on that. And in all honesty, they have been great about it for over a year now. So I really can't complain.

The important part is nothing was seriously wrong. A couple treatments and he'll be good as new. And I took advantage of the trip there to put up a new adoptions flyer with all the foster kids. Maybe we'll find homes for at least one of them.

oh, and he was a hit while we were there. I took Munch too and the two of them were wrestling and playing all over the office. People were cracking up at them. They are quite a pair. I'll actually miss him when he's adopted because he keeps Munch when she's in piranha mood from chewing on me!

Oh - the dewormer is oxfendazole. Haven't ever used it for any of our dogs before. *shrug*
Good news, you are a keen observer.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Good news, you are a keen observer.
15 years of rescues and hundreds of dogs have made me pretty observant of doggie doodie!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs