Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,374 times

Advertisements

We plan on getting 2 cats or 1 cat and 1 dog or 1 cat and one puppy.
What combination would be the best?
We have a very big fenced yard, could we leave the dog outside while we go to work?

Are there any races that are especially kid and kitty friendly?

I would appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
I should probably have more coffee before answering this, but I'm going to give it a shot. You really can't leave a puppy unattended outside all day. It will get into all kinds of dangerous things it shouldn't, will probably find its way out of the fence (even grown dogs can get out of pretty small gaps) or very likely get stolen. Theft of dogs from yards gets more common all the time. Also a puppy needs lots of work and training, which it won't get being alone for very long hours- you don't say how long everyone is gone. I'm assuming you're talking about getting 2 animals because everyone is gone so much.
If you've never owned a pet before, getting a dog and cat, or 2 new dogs at the same time, is really a lot to take on. Dogs and cats can get along, but will need strict supervision at first until you know they can be trusted together.
Without knowing a little more about your situation, that's about all I can really say.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
We plan on getting 2 cats or 1 cat and 1 dog or 1 cat and one puppy.
What combination would be the best?
We have a very big fenced yard, could we leave the dog outside while we go to work?

Are there any races that are especially kid and kitty friendly?

I would appreciate any help.
Don't know why people think cats and dogs HAVE TO hate each other. I can post dozens of pics of my cats and dogs curled up together. If socialized properly they get along fine.

My dogs I had from puppies do not chase any cats. My dogs I adopted as adults cuddle with the inside cats but chase outside cats. None hurt any cats, but for some reason they run after the outside ones. It is funny they run up to them and then look confused.

My partner had a cat that was very protective of a pet rat. It would cuddle with it and not let any of the other cats near it.

Honestly my dogs do not mess with any new pet brought inside. I introduce a new animal and they are okay with it. the tortoises are very foreign to them and so they don't go near them, but on a whole they are very chill around new pets. They love love love kittens.

I would be more worried about a cat clawing out my dogs eyes than a dog messing with a cat to be honest.

what I would caution about is getting too many pets at once if you work a lot. I was at home when I got my puppies so they got trained to the max. You dog especially will have all sorts of problems if they spend their formative months away from Human companionship and training.

No lie, between me and my partner we took out puppy out 14 times a day. It was worth it because we didn't end up with a poopy house, he has zero separation anxiety, he knows who is boss, he listen to commands, he doesn't bark at any shadow that goes by (not a nervous dog) but does let new comers know that he is keeping an eye on his human

Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 AM

We are experienced with cats both inside and outdoors. Just not with dogs except dogsitting but that is different.

I agree it may not be good for a puppy not to have someone around him all the time. So maybe an older dog. I feel so sorry for some of the really nice old shelter dogs. But as I said I wonder if old dog and cat would go together

Stealing dogs is not a problem here but for sure the fence has to be secure without any bigger holes.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 PM

We got 2 sister kittens. They love each other and are cute. One is cuddly and the other one really scared and hisses lots.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
We are experienced with cats both inside and outdoors. Just not with dogs except dogsitting but that is different.

I agree it may not be good for a puppy not to have someone around him all the time. So maybe an older dog. I feel so sorry for some of the really nice old shelter dogs. But as I said I wonder if old dog and cat would go together

Stealing dogs is not a problem here but for sure the fence has to be secure without any bigger holes.
I'm sorry, you don't sound experienced at all. Why would you leave the dog outside at all? It's going to be lonely and bored. What if it's cold and rainy? How long will you be gone? Do you have roomates, or family members living with you? If so, everybody needs to agree and be onboard. What kind of dog? Research breeds, they all have different needs and traits. Puppies are extremely needy and need constant supervision.
Think about how stable your situation is - because you are looking at a 20 year committment. Cats are much much easier than dogs, and they stand almost no chance of leaving a shelter, so an older cat would be my suggestion. Indoors and fixed!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I wrote a whole long response about dogs & cats, before noticing you ended up with two cats... d'oh!

Sounds like you made a good decision, based on your schedule and pet experience. Sibling kitties should do great together, so have fun with them!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I wrote a whole long response about dogs & cats, before noticing you ended up with two cats... d'oh!

Sounds like you made a good decision, based on your schedule and pet experience. Sibling kitties should do great together, so have fun with them!
oh good, I'm so glad to hear that. I missed that post. thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
Congrats on your new kitties!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM

Thank you! We love them and missed having cats as we grew up with cats in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs