Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Do NOT, NOT do a biopsy. They are excruciatingly painful, (more than the cancer, which is already awful) and can accelerate the cancer growth if it is cancer. I've seen it happen. A competent canine radiologist can tell by x-ray if it is cancer, as bone cancer has certain characteristics on X-ray. ParallellJJcat is right, if it is cancer, by now the "seeds" of it have lkely spread elsewhere. I would not put a large ten year old dog of mine, through ampuation, with the pain, the recovery, and the adjustment for amputation for bone cancer which is already likely to reappear somewhere else. I'm so sorry. Bone cancer is a HORRIBLE thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Do NOT, NOT do a biopsy. They are excruciatingly painful, (more than the cancer, which is already awful) and can accelerate the cancer growth if it is cancer. I've seen it happen. A competent canine radiologist can tell by x-ray if it is cancer, as bone cancer has certain characteristics on X-ray. ParallellJJcat is right, if it is cancer, by now the "seeds" of it have lkely spread elsewhere. I would not put a large ten year old dog of mine, through ampuation, with the pain, the recovery, and the adjustment for amputation for bone cancer which is already likely to reappear somewhere else. I'm so sorry. Bone cancer is a HORRIBLE thing.
My Panda was only a year old when he lost his leg; I would imagine adjusting to life as an amputee would be more difficult for an older dog. Sadly, that is something that should be considered.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times
So sorry for your furry child as well as you. My poor Aspen developed a tumor in his right shoulder to the point of looking like a hunchback. It ended up sticking out about 5 inches and was growing. He fell off the stairs of the porch and screamed like a dying animal and COULD NOT get up. Luckily I was home and ran out to lift him. He continued to slip and hurt himself more indoors. My 167# baby just became too much for me to help. At 9 years I had to think of his quality of life versus my desire to keep him near. We miss him every day and compare every dog to him, he was perfection.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 17,867 times
thanks everyone for your responses. Unfortunately, follow up xrays did show that my "puppy" did have some sort of aggressive tumor, but his chest xray was still clear, so I opted to amputate the leg that day before it spread any further. Sadly, 4 days after we amputated the leg and he was just starting to learn how to get around, he somehow fell and broke his other front leg, and when I rushed him to the vet, they not only confirmed he's broken his leg but a biopsy came back on the leg they amputated and he indeed did have osteosarcoma with a mitotic index of 17, so had to make the decision to let him go ... I am devastated and heartbroken at how all of this turned out, but appreciate everyone's suggestions and concern.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
I'm so, so sorry for your loss! We lost our last male rottie to bone cancer in his leg. It was just a limp for a couple days which we thought was a pulled muscle or something from playing with the other dogs. After he didn't seem to get any better in a few days we took him in and he was diagnosed with bone cancer. It was so fast spreading that the vet said all we could do was control the pain and give him the best couple weeks we could. And that's what we did. After the two weeks the Rimadyl didn't control the pain anymore and the only humane thing we could do was let him go. Bone cancer in dogs is just horrible. I so wish you'd had a better outcome for your guy.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
I am so sorry for your loss also ! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

<<<<HUGS>>>>

~HDL~

Old 06-02-2012, 01:12 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
I am so, so sorry to hear what you all have gone through. We are going through the same thing right now with our beautiful 8 yrs. old Samoyed. She had been diagnosed with Arthritis 3 mos. ago & even sent her x-rays & blood work out to the Un. of Colorado to an Oncologist for confirmation. They concurred with the original Vet. This past week her hind leg blew out double the size, she had the Biopsy this past Thursday. There is a Tumor in the muscle that cannot be operated on. The Vet said b/c it was caught so fast the rest of her Organs are fine. Now, we are waiting for the results to come in the begining of this week & then some decisions will have to be made. My only wish is that she was able to tell us what she wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs