U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,191,804 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used Angels Eyes? I have adopted a Maltese from Animal Control and he has some staining around the eyes and I was told to check out this product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
before trying supliments check your dogs food...
bad tearstaining is typically the result of a sub par diet...allergies agrivate the eyes causing them to water more so avoid corn and soy in the food...
and BEET, beet pulp meal ect anything BEET, and also carrot and Red or purple dyes will cause darkening of the mucus (the "tears") which causes more drmatic staining so eliminate beet and dyes completly and carrot if possible.

theres also some studies that show water thats high in mineral content (particularly iron) can darken tear stains too...so filtering the water often helps!

a good face washing a trim around the eyes and some tearstain removing liquid should slowly take care of whats already there (you might want to ask your local groomer what they use for tearstains) then give the diet change at minimum 4 weeks to show any improvment...

if after 4-8 weeks you see no improvment then it might be worth moving onto supliments, i have heard that most dont work, angel eyes however gets very good reveiws, it is however extreemly expensive and once you start using it you have to continue using it for the life of the dog to keep those results up...as soon as you stop the tear staining returns.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 AM

75 posts, read 185,402 times
Default it works but...

When we got our dog (white Cocker/Poodle mix), he didn't have staining but would accumulate a lot of black gunk in the edge of his eyes that I was always having to clean off. A friend w/2 malteses recommended Angels Eyes to me and I used it for a few months with great success. (If you do decide to try that you can get the best price on amazon.) I did hear that it is actually some form of low dose antibiotic and I felt weird giving that to him indefinitely. It is true when I stopped giving it to him the gunk came back but if I just swab his eyes every day/every other day and get him groomed regularly (6-8 wks) where they trim the hair around his eyes he looks fine. I know some dogs have worse staining than others, though...

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM

36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times
so somebody please name the exact dog food which does not have beets and carrots, etc which make tear stains worse. I have a bichon and maltese so i really would like to buy the best overall healthy food for them and help with their stains as well.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
there is no "exact" brand of dog food, but there are MANY great foods that can help with the issues.

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

is a GREAT siste which lists all the major brands and thier ingredients and rates them for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs