U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM

1,568 posts, read 570,189 times
It's a risky, boutique procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 AM

19,246 posts, read 15,013,536 times
Running a business is not cheap.

Going to vet school is expensive.

Join the real world.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM

3,505 posts, read 4,213,323 times
My vet recently got the laser equipment- it cost almost $100k.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:52 AM

4,361 posts, read 8,051,273 times
I was concerned about my 15 year olds cataracts. The vet said to leave them be.
I know my old girl can still see, I test her eyesight all the time. She will be 16 next March, God bless her, she is my first rescue and a total angel!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM
HDL

2,611 posts, read 3,584,909 times
Thumbs up Bravo for trying to find care for your dog!!!!

Sometimes I wonder what planet some folks are on that they don't understand the love that we have for our pets, but the limits we have on our wallets . Please disregard what some of the posters have wrote. You do not need to take on extra work or get rid of your dog (not that you would). You are a good dog owner and I applaud your efforts to try and find a Vet that you can afford !

Okay, I have some expertise on dogs, but I've never had to deal with cataracts . I need to know if this procedure is one where a Board Certified Vet is the only way to go? If so, that makes a huge difference and would effect my answer. I personally have been to UCD in the 90's and was totally unimpressed. My dog had bad allergies and I was trying to find relief for her and they were oblivious to my pocketbook .

So this forum is a good start to see what others might have done or where they've went and how much it cost, but I would also check Yahoo groups or Dog Only forums to see if there is anyone that has gone down to Mexico and had the surgery. In the past, I always felt that the Sacramento area had the best prices on Veterinary care, exception of UCD. It's probably because they are so many of them (Vets) there and the rents are much cheaper than the bay area. But if Board certified is the only way to go, that limits your choices greatly.

Best of luck to you and your dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceaceca View Post
I need cataract surgery for my Weimeraner but cannot locate a reasonably priced vet. They seem to all be in bed together and now have the price fixed at about $2500 per eye. This is a ridiculous cost for a 20 minute operation. I see old posts that got both eyes done for less than $2500. Please, don't chime in that this an involved procedure requiring la ti da ,etc. This is just more greed from the fat cats. I would go to Baja, or Tijuana, if I new where to go. I am in the S.F. bay area but would travel. Bottom line. Does anyone have experience with canine cataract surgery at a reasonable cost.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Sometimes I wonder what planet some folks are on that they don't understand the love that we have for our pets, but the limits we have on our wallets . Please disregard what some of the posters have wrote. You do not need to take on extra work or get rid of your dog (not that you would). You are a good dog owner and I applaud your efforts to try and find a Vet that you can afford !

Okay, I have some expertise on dogs, but I've never had to deal with cataracts . I need to know if this procedure is one where a Board Certified Vet is the only way to go? If so, that makes a huge difference and would effect my answer. I personally have been to UCD in the 90's and was totally unimpressed. My dog had bad allergies and I was trying to find relief for her and they were oblivious to my pocketbook .

So this forum is a good start to see what others might have done or where they've went and how much it cost, but I would also check Yahoo groups or Dog Only forums to see if there is anyone that has gone down to Mexico and had the surgery. In the past, I always felt that the Sacramento area had the best prices on Veterinary care, exception of UCD. It's probably because they are so many of them (Vets) there and the rents are much cheaper than the bay area. But if Board certified is the only way to go, that limits your choices greatly.

Best of luck to you and your dog!
Why not take on extra work???

I did.....and that is why the pets I have now have the best of everything.

I was willing to work.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 58,223 times
HDL, thank you for your input re Davis. I will continue to research this. As an aside, I spent time with vets and have some idea of the profession. I initially intended to be a vet. I spent summers in Marfa,TX with Dr. Charlie Edwards. He has an interesting book out about his life as a vet in west Texas. Available at Amazon, it is called "Up to my Armpits, Adventures of a West Texas Veterinarian". It should be required reading for up and coming vets. I vividly remember those days and all the procedures that Charlie performed at all hours of the day or night. He was truly a great guy dedicated to his trade and the animals he cared for.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
HDL, thank you for your input re Davis. I will continue to research this. As an aside, I spent time with vets and have some idea of the profession. I initially intended to be a vet. I spent summers in Marfa,TX with Dr. Charlie Edwards. He has an interesting book out about his life as a vet in west Texas. Available at Amazon, it is called "Up to my Armpits, Adventures of a West Texas Veterinarian". It should be required reading for up and coming vets. I vividly remember those days and all the procedures that Charlie performed at all hours of the day or night. He was truly a great guy dedicated to his trade and the animals he cared for.
Vets have to charge enough to stay in business.

Times for vets have changed like the rest of the world.

They have to carry huge liability policies.

Just the world we live in.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM
HDL

2,611 posts, read 3,584,909 times
Smile You're welcome aceaceca

I've been around City Data forum for quite some time, but mainly choose to 'read' posts versus "spout off" all the time just because I can . You asked a legitimate question and you deserve a legitimate answer. I sense your frustration, but I can tell that your heart is in the right place and that you are just looking for some help from someone who has been in your shoes. I hope that someone with cataract experience comes along real soon!

I know that most folks wouldn't even try to do what you're doing - finding a surgeon at a price they can afford. They'd talk about how it's just an animal and that you're wasting your time and money foolishly. Many people just give up and abandon their animals for the slightest reasons .

When I was at UCD with my dog in 1996, I spoke to a person whose dog had a huge cancerous tumor on their face and it was going to cost ~$2500 to remove and this person could not afford the surgery. It was heartbreaking and I watched them walk away dismayed. While some may talk about what they did or did not do for their animal and how Vets have bills to pay too (no one said that they didn't ), I advise you to not waste time rebutting anyone on here. It's very unproductive and normally doesn't change anything. I know that I won't !

Good luck in your search and peace out !

Quote:

Old 11-03-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I've been around City Data forum for quite some time, but mainly choose to 'read' posts versus "spout off" all the time just because I can . You asked a legitimate question and you deserve a legitimate answer. I sense your frustration, but I can tell that your heart is in the right place and that you are just looking for some help from someone who has been in your shoes. I hope that someone with cataract experience comes along real soon!

I know that most folks wouldn't even try to do what you're doing - finding a surgeon at a price they can afford. They'd talk about how it's just an animal and that you're wasting your time and money foolishly. Many people just give up and abandon their animals for the slightest reasons .

When I was at UCD with my dog in 1996, I spoke to a person whose dog had a huge cancerous tumor on their face and it was going to cost ~$2500 to remove and this person could not afford the surgery. It was heartbreaking and I watched them walk away dismayed. While some may talk about what they did or did not do for their animal and how Vets have bills to pay too (no one said that they didn't ), I advise you to not waste time rebutting anyone on here. It's very unproductive and normally doesn't change anything. I know that I won't !

Good luck in your search and peace out !
You really believe most dog owners on CD would abandon thier dog???

A good many posters on here are my heroes for the rescue work they do.

I would be looking for the best...not the cheapest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs