U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,690,454 times

Advertisements

We had Blk and Tan that was same on trail and tree, and his brother had deep howl on track,tree he would chop and then beller then chop. Our worst was a older redbone coon hound she would have good voice on trail change on tree as soo as u got close she would shut up and back off tree. First one in on kill but the boys would try climbing or chew tree down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM

13,820 posts, read 18,775,199 times
Oh my goodness I used to have an Irish wolfhound that would do this and would wake me up out of a dead sleep with that so severe that I thought someone was breaking into my house . This was yrs ago and he is now walking with the angels and the house is long been sold and everyone has moved on . Wow I can sympathize with you guys on the death howl .

Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,379,951 times
We had a meet this week end.......about three hundred dogs.

Rip won under four of five judges.....was in the top sixth under all five.

All of the judge's card had commits about his strong voice......

YES!!!!!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,174 times
I agree there are numerous documented
Occurrences
In my family i was fortunate to have a mom that kept records
Of family and friends that swore to hearing
A dog howl prior to death
The difficulty lays in differentiating the victim
The dog is smelling the death shroud that hangs
Around the person prior to impending demise
I thought it was an old wives tale but i have witnessed it in patients
In Spain and in Central America
I also can personally testify to a dog being able to smell CA in a patient
I have seen a dog lick a melanotic lesion on his masters forearm and
Seen it disappear after a few days
Because certain dogs have this hyper sense of smell i believe certain
Breeds can differentiate between these aromatic hydrocarbons to the uncanny ability
To identify a chlorine ion attached who really knows
Tonight as I was walking around my residence I heard a unique howl as
I passed by and everytime as I approached it happened again it sounded like
A deep sadness My mom use to say death usually arrived within three days
But since we don't know the distance it could be someone further away from us
But in my case of course I think I have less than 72 hours so if you don't
Hear from me you'll know what happened

Old 09-15-2013, 06:33 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
^^^^This gets the prize for the strangest post I've seen in almost 5 years on CD and believe me I have seen some wild ones.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 AM

43,536 posts, read 52,626,787 times
I have collies.
Never heard a collie howl.

Until my new puppy cried to be let out of her crate the first night we had her.
Wow. What a disconcerting sound.

She's better now.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
My stud bloodhound is 4 1/2 years old and has a nice voice but just this last week while he is sleeping he lets out a weird howl different than his normal howl. He just did it twice (3 am) now and 2 other times this week just once each. I am wondering if having a bad dream and this comes out or something else. Call it the death howl as a guy knew growing up had a Walker hound when I was small and that dog had a Death howl, not his normal howl but he would let it out when someone his owner knew died..freaks me out as 2 people I know died this last week and may just be my over active imagination bringing these two things together but wondering if anyone else has had this happen and after a dog was older.. I have had him since he was 7 1/2 weeks old and this just started like I said but this howl sends shivers down your spine.
Serious replies only please, no oh its just the Halloween spirits getting to him and such.
We have owned Coon Dogs for years and yes there is such a thing as a death howl. It is chilling and has always came true. Currently my mother-in-law is not doing well and it has happened for the past 2 days.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 731 times
I have a 5 year old black lab and she wakes up and howls like that, I as well call it the death hole because whenever she does that howl someone my family knows, dies. It is quite scary.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:43 PM

12,436 posts, read 31,483,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
^^^^This gets the prize for the strangest post I've seen in almost 5 years on CD and believe me I have seen some wild ones.
Really this thread has been around for Almost 5 years!

Old 02-06-2017, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 423 times
Default My dog does the creepy howl in his sleep too!!

OMG so relieved to find your post:

So, my almost 17 year-old dog makes this bone-chilling, supernatural, other-wordly, horrible, beyond sad prolonged howl-type noise when he is sleeping...once in a while....for the past few years. I wake him up and he seems just fine. I think I've noticed that these episodes tend to happen close together and then not happen for months. It's just one of the worst, most sad, and terrifying sounds I've ever heard. And I've googled and googled until tonight I finally saw this Forum. I don't necessarily think my dog's howls are related to the death of someone though. I just wish I could know what he is feeling/thinking/imagining....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs