Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:21 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times

Advertisements

My family is looking into adopting a new dog, and I'm working on narrowing down breeds that would be happiest living with our lifestyle and home. Our Chow that passed away last year was perfect for our lifestyle, and we'd love another Chow if we find the right one. While ours was extremely friendly and laid back as can be, the Chow breed can be aggressive depending on their upbringing. It's been tough to find the right Chow from a rescue/shelter without knowing their history, so we've started looking at some alternate breeds. While rescuing any dog is better than a shelter, we obviously want to pick a breed that would be happiest with us.

I've always wanted a Malamute or Akita since I was young, but I've always been cautious of the exercise requirements. The Tamaskan has also popped up recently in our search, and it's a newer crossbreed that is mostly selective mixing of malamutes, huskies and German Shepherds. Our last Chow was obviously a lower energy breed, but I still walked her a lot when she was young. Every single day (sun, rain or snow!) she had 2-3 walks of 30-45 mins, and that tapered down as she got older to one morning walk and plenty of sitting outdoors time. So that brings me to my question-
  • How much exercise is needed for a higher demand working breed dog in the real world? What does that translate to for keeping the dog happy and tuckered out?
Obviously, a Malamute and Akita have different exercise demands, but they are both cold weather dogs with the Mal probably having more energy. Would either be happy with multiple 30-40 min walks per day? Would I have to take up running or biking with the dog for a higher intensity exercise?

Lifestyle - we both work 8-10 hours per day, and typically have one day per week at home. I'm planning either a dog walker mid-day or doggy day care multiple times a week. Have a large house, but small fenced in yard in an suburban development; no children currently but one on the way, and wanted to have a dog trained and socialized before the baby. I am relatively active in warmer weather - hiking or outdoors activities, but certainly not a marathon runner or anything.

TL;DR- how much exercise do the larger Arctic breeds, like a Malamute, Akita or Tamaskan, need in real world terms? Would multiple 30-40 mins walks be fine, or do they need something more intense?

Thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Of the three, I'd go with the Malamute. I think the walking you have outlined should be fine. As far as I know, they're not like huskies when it comes to an insane amount of energy and drive. If you get a dog that is not a puppy you should be able to tell if it's one that is higher energy or one that is more laid back.

A "Tamaskan" is not a breed. If you want a mixed breed dog, I'd go to a shelter and get one.

Akitas can be great dogs for the right person but not a breed I would recommend for a family with a young child and potentially a lot of people coming and going. They can be VERY protective of their home and people.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:09 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Well, I've got some thoughts here. I don't personally know malamutes, huskies, and chows. But I know something about dogs and energy needs. And I've read a bit about malamutes and huskies. They are both, as breeds, high energy and not inclined to be lap dog obedient. Don't know chows, but I think from what I've heard and read that they are lower energy.

As for dogs that have drive / energy. I've had hounds with drive, and now I have herding collies with drive. I aim for a 3 mile run every day. I ride a bike, they run. When we can do it. It worked for the hounds, and it works for the herding collies (English Shepherds), at least, mostly so.

Now, so far as I know, malamutes and huskies want to RUN. My herding dogs want to run, so that helps, but they also want to herd. So we have other things we do to fulfill those needs.

Anyway, I have given medium-high activity need dogs a 3 mile run each day. And it has been enough. It could be better, but it has been enough. I ride a bike, they go off-leash. I am lucky to have a property next to me where I can do this.

So here is what I think. If you run a dog for 2 or 3 miles a day, you will probably satisfy that "need to move". If you can do more to fulfill the "instinct zone", the dog will be even happier and more cooperative. But if you can give them 30 minutes of real activity per day, or more, you will be ok.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
We had akitas while I was growing up. The second one we had went against the "akita stereotype" in just about all ways possible, while the first was akita, through and through.

Just from my experience, I would not be inclined to get an akita if you expect to be bringing in dog walkers or baby sitters to your home. While it is entirely possible that they would be fine with it- if they're not, you're likely to run into problems. We joke now, even 30 years later, about that first akita. He was your absolute best friend if he liked you, but God help you if you went near his home or family if he didn't. At one point, when I was a toddler, my parents hired a babysitter who he didn't like. Apparently, he would sit at the doorway and not let her through to me. Ever heard the "akita growl"? He was a master at it. Turned out, she was stealing from the house- so perhaps he was just a good judge of character. My mom also, at one point, had to rescue two guys who were in our basement to work on the oil burner. He had them cornered, and was just sitting there, giving that akita growl.

Of course, you could also get an animal that had the same temperament as our second akita. He'd most certainly have traded all the family secrets for a biscuit and a belly rub, but if I were in your position I wouldn't count on it.

Also, for what it's worth, neither of our akitas were high-energy, at all. They were fine with being walked twice a day, and spending the rest of their time lounging around the house.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:55 PM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
Thanks for the input folks - much appreciated!

I think that I'll be avoiding huskies due to so many stories about the massive exercise demands, but I was hoping that the Malamute would be lower since they're moving a lot more weight when walking; sounds like the Akita is even less in regards to exercise.

I'm still emailing the rescue league about the Tamaskan. And I understand people's reservations on calling it a crossbreed- to me it's no different than labradoodles, golden doodles, etc, and it's the easiest way to identify what is mixed with the mutt. The adoption fees are normal range for a rescue, and nothing like the outrageous prices some of the designer breeders try to charge.

It's funny that you mention having an Akita that was opposite of the stereotype. Our Chow Chow was the same exact way - extremely friendly, none of the protective actions against strangers, no growling at people or other dogs, etc - so maybe it built a false sense of confidence with certain breeds. I will admit though that has been part of the reason that we've struggled to find another Chow is that we don't know the temperament without having the history of the individual dog.

I think we're going to continue looking for another Chow or a new Malamute, and always watching the local rescue leagues for a pup that seems like a good fit regardless of breed!

Old 01-20-2017, 03:11 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post

I think that I'll be avoiding huskies due to so many stories about the massive exercise demands, but I was hoping that the Malamute would be lower since they're moving a lot more weight when walking; sounds like the Akita is even less in regards to exercise.

I'm still emailing the rescue league about the Tamaskan. And I understand people's reservations on calling it a crossbreed- to me it's no different than labradoodles, golden doodles, etc, and it's the easiest way to identify what is mixed with the mutt. The adoption fees are normal range for a rescue, and nothing like the outrageous prices some of the designer breeders try to charge.

It's funny that you mention having an Akita that was opposite of the stereotype. Our Chow Chow was the same exact way - extremely friendly, none of the protective actions against strangers, no growling at people or other dogs, etc - so maybe it built a false sense of confidence with certain breeds. I will admit though that has been part of the reason that we've struggled to find another Chow is that we don't know the temperament without having the history of the individual dog.

I think we're going to continue looking for another Chow or a new Malamute, and always watching the local rescue leagues for a pup that seems like a good fit regardless of breed!
Since you are soon to have a child; having a dog that at the very least is tolerant of children is important. Any dog you raise from puppyhood is likely to bond with your baby and treat him/her as a valued pack member; but you will have to consider the safety and well-being of your future child's young friends and extended family who come over to visit - how will the dog react to them.

I've read that Malamutes usually are quite human-friendly. Chows, less so (outside their own people). I've known two incredibly sweet and friendly Akitas; but they are usually more protective.

I'm sure that if you get a Malamute from a responsible breeder or AKC breed club-affiliated rescue (where they would be vetted for temperament), you have a good chance of getting a nice-natured dog or pup. If you do get a puppy, socialization to gentle, dog-savvy kids would be very helpful in preparing the pup to love not only your baby but other people's children.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:29 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
Just don't take lightly the Malamute's predisposition (not unlike Huskies) to go after smaller animals.

I have never met a Chow that has that same instinct (aloof and intolerant sometimes, but not an out of the blue zoom, and it is dead) thing. I also knew Akitas who did this, a family member owned one who killed 2 small dogs.

It can be a hard thing to learn to live with. Even if it goes to doggy day care, once they hit adolescence it can change on a dime.

Not saying it will... they do all have different traits.

But I have known a few Malamutes, and huskies, and crosses thereof that are fine, and then they kill a small dog (beagle sized dogs even - not just bunnies or cats). They aren't (or shouldn't be) aggressive, but they will happily kill a cat, and smile at you.

I think the exercise you can provide will be good, but you might also consider extra, simply by adding pulling of some sort, skijoring, weight pull even as you walk, or even pulling a bike or cart. I have a pull harness for my dog who is 1/4 husky, and she is allowed to pull when wearing it. She loves it, and it is a steady pull, not jerky.

On collar she doesn't pull, but you can see the light in her eyes when the harness comes out.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:46 PM

231 posts, read 334,427 times
I met a few malamutes. They can be dog aggressive especially to the same sex. I am cautious when my dog is around malamutes because she was attacked by one. It wasn't serious as both were puppies at that time but it was frightening nevertheless.

Malamutes that I met seem to love children. However, the children end up crying because they are scared of their size and energy. You don't want a big dog smothering or jumping on your child even out of love.

They are very cute and fluffy and they are people friendly but I would be attentive when raising one.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:57 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post

Yup - even in a strong breed, individual dogs vary so much that making predictions can backfire. Breeds TREND to act in certain ways, but INDIVIDUAL dogs haven't always gotten that message.

Because of this, buying from a breeder offers an advantage - they will have seen the dog's behavior develop from birth. With a rescue, you have a few hours of observation to make a judgement, at best. I've had rescues for decades, and they did not often turn out quite how I thought they would from our initial "meet and greet".

Then, too, with a breeder, you have to be able to trust the breeder to understand what you tell them you want, and to make an HONEST judgement about which dog is best for you. Whatever path you take, there are land mines - you just have to use your best judgement.

Good luck

Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
To the OP:
The dog (of whatever breed you choose) may be influenced by both of you being at work during the day. It's not easy to predict how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs