U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 AM

1,587 posts, read 6,674,518 times

Advertisements

My stud bloodhound is 4 1/2 years old and has a nice voice but just this last week while he is sleeping he lets out a weird howl different than his normal howl. He just did it twice (3 am) now and 2 other times this week just once each. I am wondering if having a bad dream and this comes out or something else. Call it the death howl as a guy knew growing up had a Walker hound when I was small and that dog had a Death howl, not his normal howl but he would let it out when someone his owner knew died..freaks me out as 2 people I know died this last week and may just be my over active imagination bringing these two things together but wondering if anyone else has had this happen and after a dog was older.. I have had him since he was 7 1/2 weeks old and this just started like I said but this howl sends shivers down your spine.
Serious replies only please, no oh its just the Halloween spirits getting to him and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 03:45 AM

3,155 posts, read 5,669,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
My stud bloodhound is 4 1/2 years old and has a nice voice but just this last week while he is sleeping he lets out a weird howl different than his normal howl. He just did it twice (3 am) now and 2 other times this week just once each. I am wondering if having a bad dream and this comes out or something else. Call it the death howl as a guy knew growing up had a Walker hound when I was small and that dog had a Death howl, not his normal howl but he would let it out when someone his owner knew died..freaks me out as 2 people I know died this last week and may just be my over active imagination bringing these two things together but wondering if anyone else has had this happen and after a dog was older.. I have had him since he was 7 1/2 weeks old and this just started like I said but this howl sends shivers down your spine.
Serious replies only please, no oh its just the Halloween spirits getting to him and such.
Sounds like he's just dreaming.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 AM

288 posts, read 601,142 times
Default Dog dreams.....

Dreamhunter, I read your post with interest. My Mastiff did this a few weeks ago in the middle of the night, it woke me up with such a fright as it was the weirdest noise I had ever heard!

I put it down to him having a bad dream

Old 11-02-2011, 05:24 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,049,903 times
Dogs have ages old inbred instincts and probably dream of things we can't even imagine.
As long as it is healthy, acting normal during wake up, eating good, etc, I wouldn't be overly concerned. It's probably just a dog dream.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,294,958 times
My 13 year old lab howls in his sleep about one or twice a month.

Everyone in the house wakes up....but, Bear.

I have seen him do it sleeping in the daytime.

He doesn't hear it!!!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
BTW......my walker howls when a bear is going to die.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,044,988 times
My GSD's howl too.
sleeping or awake.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
roxie does a sort of whine / wimper in her sleep.... a very puppy-like sound.... i have never heard a peep out of bailey.... sometimes, dave "startles" himself awake, which can be a bit disconcerting for him and for me....

i am guessing they are dreaming of something that elicits these vocalizations... much like me when i talk in my sleep.....

Old 11-02-2011, 03:37 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,674,518 times
Figured most likely dreams but this howl was so different pitched and all and after all these years just hearing this one and makes hair stand up on neck when does it. Get the usual whimpers and normal barks and howls during dreams as watch feet like running and such,just wish had recorder when this happened this morning lucky whole house not woke up from it as not sound like any of my dogs and had to look see which one was. He did not wake either but talked softly so he knew all was ok.

Driller that hound bawl when at end of a hot trail always sounds nice.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Figured most likely dreams but this howl was so different pitched and all and after all these years just hearing this one and makes hair stand up on neck when does it. Get the usual whimpers and normal barks and howls during dreams as watch feet like running and such,just wish had recorder when this happened this morning lucky whole house not woke up from it as not sound like any of my dogs and had to look see which one was. He did not wake either but talked softly so he knew all was ok.

Driller that hound bawl when at end of a hot trail always sounds nice.
Yes, it does!!!!

Rip just turned two and at his first competition last year one judge commented on his score card his would like to hear more of a difference in his voice.

I could not believe the difference as he got older.

There is a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs