U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,729,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
if you don't say "here boy " or "good boy" how do you call him or praise him? I don't discuss national events with my pets but I certainly tell them to wait for dinner, to get off the sofa, to come here, and of course to tell them how adorable and good they are. Also when I say "time for night night" all 4 of them walk ahead of me to the bedroom and get in their appointed spots for the night.
I praise him by crouching and then hugging/petting him.

It's like we're in tune with each other.

He wags his tail... he knows what's up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,729,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
as a side note i think you have the only QUIET husky in the world...huskies arnt typically barky dogs, but they tend to be HOWLERS! they naturally yip, howl and call to achother and thier pack mates...
He makes noise.
Just not like every other dog I've seen.

He does do some low growls to get my attention at times.

And the yawning/howling sound when he sees me. But that only lasts till he calms down.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 AM

184 posts, read 580,910 times
while dogs are very visual and communicate more with body language than anything, they're also pretty vocal animals. wolves, coyotes, and even our domesticated canines, will howl together as a form of socializing and bonding. they bark at eachother in play. our high-pitched squeaky voices aren't just cutesy baby talk for our own amusement, it also happens to be a pitch that dogs recognize as positive verbal communication.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM

7,289 posts, read 12,760,021 times
I have all sorts of discussions with my dog. She understands a lot of things, so I figure, why not indulge her? I talk about her toys and food and dog friends.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,419,695 times
Yes, I always talk to my dogs, and I think that's why they've all had very big vocabularies (for understanding, not talking!), especially the one I raised from a little puppy. He understood and reacted to so much of the stuff I said it was almost spooky. Actually, my husband is the one who got me started doing it. I thought he was kind of nuts at first for talking to dogs so much, but it got me in the habit of doing it too and I'm glad.
ETA we talk to our cats too, and they understand quite a few words.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:37 PM

36,416 posts, read 41,222,365 times
We talk so much to our dogs and they understand so much that we actually have to spell around them. Words like leash, dinner, walk, thunder, car, ball etc all get them excited. So we have to be very careful and I'm sure we aren't the only ones who spell around their dogs!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM

20,817 posts, read 15,074,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i have no problem with none verbal cummunication and praise (ive worked with death dogs) however for dogs who have hearing its not the words that dogs enjoy its the sounds...they do "LISTEN" and given dogs are naturally verbal (not like we humans would assume but they would ingange in low grumbles, squeeks growls ect in play) it just seems odd to me to be "silent" around a dog...there not mute so why should i be...

even when working with deaffies i actually say the command outloud too...not for the dog...but for me! it reinforces me, keeps me on my toes and helps me out...
but then again...i also talk to myself alot too, so talking to my dogs just makes me seem a little more "normal" lol.

my dogs do react to certain words but mostly the tones of my voice, i couldnt imagine living in an almost silent word....

as a side note i think you have the only QUIET husky in the world...huskies arnt typically barky dogs, but they tend to be HOWLERS! they naturally yip, howl and call to achother and thier pack mates...

LOL - sounds like. My husky 'talks' all the time.

I do talk to my dogs and am completely convinced that the more I talk to them, the more words they understand.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:35 PM

549 posts, read 812,616 times
I talk to my dogs ALL the time. My favorite conversation is trying to convince them to clean the house while i am at work. They are just like my kids though and don't pay attention. LOL!!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,930,949 times
You don't have to use a high pitched or cutesy voice to talk to your dog....

There must be people in this world who don't have the ability to talk and have dogs!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,341,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We talk so much to our dogs and they understand so much that we actually have to spell around them. Words like leash, dinner, walk, thunder, car, ball etc all get them excited. So we have to be very careful and I'm sure we aren't the only ones who spell around their dogs!
WE do that too! Mine know how to spell a few words! You spell a certain word long enough, they make the connection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or