U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 PM

1,240 posts, read 991,325 times
Default The later years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We talk so much to our dogs and they understand so much that we actually have to spell around them. Words like leash, dinner, walk, thunder, car, ball etc all get them excited. So we have to be very careful and I'm sure we aren't the only ones who spell around their dogs!
You are correct, I had a dog, years ago that I had to take up spelling around she was just a smart girl, walk, park, ball, etc. She got wise to it too...and we would make up words, it was like playing spy. (This word means that...) I had to be careful and not confuse myself!

I too use hand cues with verbal cues with my dogs...for the later years. If their sight fails, they will have the verbal. If their hearing fails, they will have the visual...if both fail, I will use a gentle touch and guide them.

I talk to my boys all the time. There is nothing like it when their tail begins to wag at the sound of my voice...or when I come into their line of sight. They are also verbal dogs. I have always enjoyed a verbal critter, whether dog or cat. Currently just have two dawgs. Both talkers...

My last girl was a wagger, too. I called her propeller-tail, it was in perfect rotation. Just the sound of my voice and her tail would thump on the floor. Even in the end when she was so sick and I would talk to her and she would give me a thump on her pillow. I only hope it was a comfort to her in her last moments...because I was a train wreck, knowing I was losing her.

So...yeah, I talk to'em...like someone else said, even for them sometimes! LOL

Last edited by LuvABull.Denver; 11-04-2011 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 05:04 PM

1,240 posts, read 991,325 times
Default ...can't help but talk to'em...

Really, how do you not talk to them?

Spanky is the black and white...

Diesel is the red one...
Attached Thumbnails
am i the only one who doesnt talk to my dog?-spanky-2.jpg   am i the only one who doesnt talk to my dog?-diesel.jpg  

Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM

3,487 posts, read 3,651,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Happy, yes. High-pitched and sqeaky, never. Not with animals, babies, anyone.
The high-pitched baby talk is called "Motherese" by psychologists and behaviorists. Women all over the world (not all, but most!) will use high-pitched sounds with their babies, or any baby. It's apparently instinctual, and babies react positively to it. So: a short step to using such language with the furbabies. It used to irritate me no end, and I have never met a man who could stand "Motherese." But after I've learned how deeply hardwired it is for most women, it doesn't bother me. And I've caught myself doing Motherese with our dogs .

Dogs "read" us in so many ways that language is only a small part of the communication, but the language part can be quite significant. Our First Dog knew 200 (human!) words, recognized and reacted correctly to entire short sentences ("Your bone is in the bedroom--go get it," "Bring me the Kong from the porch," etc.), and did "key word search" listening to our human conversations. And we absolutely had to spell words (which she then learned to understand). Present Dog came to us as a rescue without knowing a single command or even her own name, and it took a year until I had a "Helen Keller" moment with her when she finally grasped the connection between action and word. That was exciting, for her and for me! And now, four years later, I've noticed that she is actually picking up on words we haven't even deliberately taught her--she's still learning. I get such a kick out of that--it's like communicating with E.T.!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 AM

2,891 posts, read 2,325,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
The high-pitched baby talk is called "Motherese" by psychologists and behaviorists. Women all over the world (not all, but most!) will use high-pitched sounds with their babies, or any baby. It's apparently instinctual, and babies react positively to it. So: a short step to using such language with the furbabies. It used to irritate me no end, and I have never met a man who could stand "Motherese." But after I've learned how deeply hardwired it is for most women, it doesn't bother me. And I've caught myself doing Motherese with our dogs .

Dogs "read" us in so many ways that language is only a small part of the communication, but the language part can be quite significant. Our First Dog knew 200 (human!) words, recognized and reacted correctly to entire short sentences ("Your bone is in the bedroom--go get it," "Bring me the Kong from the porch," etc.), and did "key word search" listening to our human conversations. And we absolutely had to spell words (which she then learned to understand). Present Dog came to us as a rescue without knowing a single command or even her own name, and it took a year until I had a "Helen Keller" moment with her when she finally grasped the connection between action and word. That was exciting, for her and for me! And now, four years later, I've noticed that she is actually picking up on words we haven't even deliberately taught her--she's still learning. I get such a kick out of that--it's like communicating with E.T.!
So what does it mean when my female GSD talks to me in Motherese? Seriously, she pitches her voice high specifically for me. People get a laugh out of her Motherese voice - there isn't any mistaking it, and her normal voice is deep.

I thought she was using baby talk with me, as in she was pretending to be a puppy and appealing to me as her mother. But maybe she thinks she is my mother and I'm her puppy? I've never had a dog before with such a specific change of tone when talking to me.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:43 AM

16,591 posts, read 18,455,159 times
High-pitched = nonthreatening to a canine.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:28 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,480,282 times
Ok guilty, I do talk to my dogs but not baby talk. I even talk to the deaf one and she stands and grins up at me with her tail wagging... maybe she thinks I am chewing something and will share with her??? The group I now have don't seem to understand a lot but my late Jazz did . She even seemed to follow conversations when two people spoke as she would look right at the person talking then turn and look at the other person as if waiting for a reply. She would have looks she would give people too that just made people feel she understood a lot. She tended to freak alot of people out. She did understand a large amount of words and in many ways was smarter then some people I know.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:00 PM

26 posts, read 40,360 times
This whole thread reminds me of the book I'm reading now - Merle's Door. Wonderful story with a lot of research mixed in. Amazing to learn how dogs read humans. And the author talks to Merle in 3 languages, and even "imagines" what Merle is saying in reply with his own body language.

And yes, I talk to my two guys too, and even have to spell certain words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs