U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,566,158 times

Advertisements

I too have had incredible luck with rescues and remember a lot of great dogs are being relinquished only for economic reasons and not for being "bad" dogs. You will be able to stipulate one who gets along well with kids, cats, other dogs, like car rides, walks on leash and anything else you car about.

i WOULD NOT take children to visit shelters. They tend to fall in love with the cutest youngest dog without any regard to the background information you will need. By going on line you can shop around and find the perfect dog for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:21 PM

526 posts, read 738,307 times
since I had a wonderful experience with a Craiglist dog, I will suggest that route. Many owners need to surrender their dog for legitimate reasons & want to meet future owner (thus don't go with a rescue).

Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM

36,474 posts, read 43,566,158 times
Did you know labs are one of the most relinquished dogs in rescue? They get bigger than most people figure on and all sorts of other reasons. You would have no trouble going to petfinder.com to find a similar dog close to your area.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
if going the shelter route (and you can find many AMAZING dogs in the shelter but it certianly isnt for everyone)
i generally suggest contactingthe shelter and telling them what exactly your looking for in a dog, they can then put a list together of potentials...the YOU go down alone (or with the hubby) and check out all the potentials, narrow it down to 3 or so dogs and then bring the kids in on the process...
this way you know you have a small group of acceptable dogs for the kids to choose from, but the kids still get a say in the matter without being overwhelmed by all the choises

Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,945,048 times
All great ideas. Thanks again!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 AM

5,792 posts, read 9,256,148 times
Something I've been meaning to suggest when following this thread: that when you look for a new Best Friend, don't get tempted to look for a dog who resembles your old lab (I don't like to use the term "previous dog"--he is still your dog, in your heart, and always will be). Something funny can happen to memories--if one's new dog is visually similar to one's dog who passed on, one may end up mixing up memories of the two, and that can create strange reactions such as feelings of guilt. If you go for another lab, perhaps find one of another color? I'd even suggest a lab mix, or some entirely other breed/mutt. Unless you actually want to have the illusion of the same dog come back to life, but of course that is never how it works...

Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM

1,041 posts, read 4,028,318 times
If you rescue through an organization that fosters rather than just has a kennel, you can learn a lot about your potential dog. Since the foster parents live with the dog and are constantly interacting, they will really get to know the dog and will let you know if it is a good match for you.

I got a dog from a rescue that is more like a kennel and they didn't really know anything about him. It worked out well for me tho!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 PM

5,640 posts, read 17,281,091 times
Adopt a black dog, someone once told me black dogs are less likely to be adopted than other colors (true?) Good luck. When our BFFdog left us, we waited 2-1/2 years to get another. Now we have two! Just realize they are going to be different. Nice, but not the same dog.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 PM

123 posts, read 188,623 times
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. I lost my 10 1/2 year old chihuahua, who I had since she was 5 weeks old, in July. It's been very lonely in the house without her. I've been through this several times with my other dogs and have usually waited 4-5 months then start looking for another dog. No dog you will find will ever take the place of your beloved dog you just lost, but the new one will bring you alot of happiness again. Each one will have a special place in your heart. Give yourself some time to grieve, then start looking. In today's society, where people aren't always nice, it's good to come home to your pet, who will always love you unconditionally. Sounds as if you are an animal lover, go with your heart...you will be glad you did.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Another great way to find great dog is to take a vacation and spend a week volunteering at Best Friends animal sancutary in Utah working with the dogs. The area is beautiful, the people are great and you can spend the day taking dogs on walks and depending on where you stay overnights so you get to meet a lot of dogs and I think most people fall in love with at least one dog. I fell in love with several but I was not looking for a new dog so had to leave them all behind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs