U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:28 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,954,064 times

Advertisements

I had to put my Lab down last November. We got him when he was 8 weeks old, and had him for 13 years/8months. Putting him down was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do. This past year, I've missed him terribly. When we put him down, my wife and I agreed not to get another dog. I have to admit that with my crazy schedule, and all my responsibilities, there have been times where I was somewhat relieved that I didn't have to tend to a dog. At the same time, I miss the special bond that my dog and I shared. I've been looking at some breeders lately, but I'm a little torn. I know that ultimately it's my decision to make, but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,806,413 times
I waited 18 months after Missy the red Doberman was PTS back in the Spring of 06. I will NEVER wait that long again.

However, I always go with rescues or shelters, never breeders. That always seems to work out for me.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I waited 18 months after Missy the red Doberman was PTS back in the Spring of 06. I will NEVER wait that long again.

However, I always go with rescues or shelters, never breeders. That always seems to work out for me.
I should really explore that. Sometimes I worry about established behaviors though. Thanks for the input!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 AM

On the other hand, the shortest I've waited is a week.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, the shortest I've waited is a week.
Not named man's best friend for nothing I guess.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I should really explore that. Sometimes I worry about established behaviors though.
Out of 8 total adoptions over the years, only one had to go back.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Out of 8 total adoptions over the years, only one had to go back.
Wow, that sounds promising. I should take the kids for a tour and see what happens. I just don't know if I am missing having a dog, or missing my dog.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:18 AM

I'm sure there's a Lab rescue in your area. I'm a sucker for a Lab, especially a yellow one.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 AM

3,416 posts, read 5,145,978 times
Checking Petfinder there are 24,263 labrador retrievers available for adoption. If you add in those listed as black lab 4,281, yellow lab 1,872 and chocolate lab 1,017 the numbers go up to a total of 31,433 dogs.

Dog breeds available for adoption on Petfinder

Now many of those are going to be lab mixes of some sort but with that many to chose from I can't help but think that there is one out there that would be the perfect new dog for your family. Many will be in your area of the country.

Your new best friend is waiting for you to come and fetch him home and give him the wonderful life he deserves.

As for behavior issues most are due to a lack of knowledge and training by the former owner and are easily corrected with a bit of positive reinforcement learning.

Best wishes for all the joy that can be yours with great new companion. I hope you will soon be back posting about your wonderful dog and saying that you can't believe that someone gave him up.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,465,128 times
I waited 6 months to adopt another dog before the loss of my last dog. I missed my first dog terribly, as with my second dog, and I think part of the reason I waited too is because I didn't want to replace the two I lost. I didn't want to lose their memories, and to be honest I didn't want to go through another loss eventually. Well to me those were the most empty six months I had. That was 5 years ago tomorrow. I now have a 7yr old doberman named Lucas, and this past March I adopted my now 13 month old doberman named Holly. I will always have a dog in my life. They make me complete.

If you're going the breeder route, just make sure to check them out, make sure they are not backyard breeders. As for rescues, most have fosters and they should know how the dogs personality is, doesn't mean there won't be issues, but they can always be worked on. I found my boy through a rescue because of the picture they posted. He was licking a kitty, and I had several cats at that time and had to have a cat friendly dog. The rest is history.

Good luck on whatever you choose! I'd say go for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs