Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:05 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to do high pitched, cutesy voices.

I just use tsks to call him. I pet him, play, walk, etc. But I don't really talk and say stuff like "here boy, good boy, etc."

So just wondering.

Its funny though.. he's a husky so he doesn't make any noise either... quiet like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
Short answer....YES!
Quite frankly the dog doesn't care one way or the other...he knows what you are saying by your body language and their ability to "mind read". But for some reason, it makes the rest of us happy! My husband and I have conversations with ours as though they are the ones doing the talking....RIDICULOUS...but we have fun.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
No, I don't talk to your dog either.

Just kidding. I do. I call him on the phone, when you're in the other room.

OK! Just kidding!

I talk to my dog, Artie, a lot. I work from home and he's always right there, and so I find myself "conversing" with him quite a bit.

I probably talk to him way too much because sometimes when I ask my husband something and he doesn't answer, he'll then say, "Oh, I heard your voice, but I thought you were talking to Artie." Yeah, like I'd ask Artie how cold it is outside.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
if you don't say "here boy " or "good boy" how do you call him or praise him? I don't discuss national events with my pets but I certainly tell them to wait for dinner, to get off the sofa, to come here, and of course to tell them how adorable and good they are. Also when I say "time for night night" all 4 of them walk ahead of me to the bedroom and get in their appointed spots for the night.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
if you don't say "here boy " or "good boy" how do you call him or praise him?
Perhaps hand signals to call him and petting him to praise him.

Since my dogs are trained for hand signals, I don't have to talk to my dogs. (I do! I even ask them if it's cold outside Dandj!)

I trained them as puppys to hand signals so I could communite with them when their hearing deteriorated in old age. Plus hand signals reinforce every command because dogs are visual.

I'm glad I did it! My 16 year old lab can still hear but he clearly can't hear very well. It comes and goes. He is relying on hand signals more and more. He watches me vigilantly because he doesn't want to miss anything I "say."

Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Perhaps hand signals to call him and petting him to praise him.

Since my dogs are trained for hand signals, I don't have to talk to my dogs. (I do! I even ask them if it's cold outside Dandj!)

I trained them as puppys to hand signals so I could communite with them when their hearing deteriorated in old age. Plus hand signals reinforce every command because dogs are visual.

I'm glad I did it! My 16 year old lab can still hear but he clearly can't hear very well. It comes and goes. He is relying on hand signals more and more. He watches me vigilantly because he doesn't want to miss anything I "say."
Hand signals are great, but I would always recommend to train a verbal too. How else are you going to call your dog when they're chasing after a squirrel or tell them to leave the piece of food you just dropped when they're tearing across the room to get to it? It's awesome when your dog is "bilingual" in verbal and hand cues

I talk to my dog all the time.I realize she has no idea what I'm saying, but it makes her little butt all wiggly and gets her so excited and happy that it makes me happy, in turn.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Everyone seems to do high pitched, cutesy voices.

I just use tsks to call him. I pet him, play, walk, etc. But I don't really talk and say stuff like "here boy, good boy, etc."

So just wondering.

Its funny though.. he's a husky so he doesn't make any noise either... quiet like me.
I'm like you. I look at my dog like an extraordinarily athletic kindergartener who only speaks about 15 words of English. To me, if slapping my thigh, scratching behind his ear or a single syllable gets the point across then there isn't much sense in making a bunch of fuss that's meaningless to him.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I use verbal and gestural commands, and I praise him with "good boy," accompanied by something nonverbal as well, like head or belly scratches, stroking his ears (which he loves), or giving him a treat. I don't do baby talk, cutesy voices, or anything like that, though (I don't do those with babies/kids, either).

Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Hand signals are great, but I would always recommend to train a verbal too. How else are you going to call your dog when they're chasing after a squirrel or tell them to leave the piece of food you just dropped when they're tearing across the room to get to it? It's awesome when your dog is "bilingual" in verbal and hand cues
I never said I didn't train my dogs with verbal commands too.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i have no problem with none verbal cummunication and praise (ive worked with death dogs) however for dogs who have hearing its not the words that dogs enjoy its the sounds...they do "LISTEN" and given dogs are naturally verbal (not like we humans would assume but they would ingange in low grumbles, squeeks growls ect in play) it just seems odd to me to be "silent" around a dog...there not mute so why should i be...

even when working with deaffies i actually say the command outloud too...not for the dog...but for me! it reinforces me, keeps me on my toes and helps me out...
but then again...i also talk to myself alot too, so talking to my dogs just makes me seem a little more "normal" lol.

my dogs do react to certain words but mostly the tones of my voice, i couldnt imagine living in an almost silent word....

as a side note i think you have the only QUIET husky in the world...huskies arnt typically barky dogs, but they tend to be HOWLERS! they naturally yip, howl and call to achother and thier pack mates...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs