U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,973,793 times

Advertisements

We found Gigi (a 12 lb. maltese/poodle? mix) over a year ago. She STILL has accidents during the night.

Could it be that her bladder just isn't big enough to hold it all night? The odd thing is that sometimes she can go all night but occasionally she can't. She never pees in the bathroom if I put her in there for the night; on the occasions when she does pee (maybe once per week) it's when she has free roam of the house.

I take her out around 10pm every night and we're up at 6am.

Should I just accept the fact that she will have the occasional accident? I hate to have her sleep in the bathroom for the rest of her life (although it's right next to our bedroom and I use a babygate); should I look into those puppy pads?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,765,125 times
Small dogs can hold it overnight no problem. Sometimes they choose not to, especially if housetraining wasn't a big part of their upbringing. You might try pad training her....or figuring out if she was already pad trained and she uses it. Or not giving her any water after about 7. Does she sleep in your bed and can get out of it easily?...maybe putting a nighttime bell on her so you are aware when she jumps down and can put her outside quickly? Or put a crate next to your bed and let her sleep in there, permanently. They will adjust to that pretty easily but if she's used to sleeping with you, it will take a few nites of YOU being upset.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,698,109 times
I think it's okay to let her bed down in the bathroom. As long as she has a blanket and toy, plus it's great you have a gate there, she can still see out and not feel enclosed away. We all go to a bedroom to sleep, and the bathroom is a handy place for your pup to go, to sleep. Might be nerves doing it, but probably more from early (non)training which took place before you found her. I also liked the idea of a pee-pad, you could put it in the bathroom and see if she uses it, and then maybe move it to a more convenient ungated place later, just great to have that emergency place for her to go. I had to reply, my name is the same as your pup's!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:50 AM

741 posts, read 1,392,991 times
The bad news is that some dogs have to go out and pee around 2 or 3 am..like one of my chihuahuas... Nubi whines to let me know, and like a zombie, I climb out of my warm bed and take him out, sometimes more than once between 11 pm and 6 am... I have to stay close to him because we don't have a fenced yard and we do have coyotes around.
My other small dog is a chiweenie (chihuahua and mini dauschund), and I adopted him at the pound and he was around 2 years old.... I have had him for 11 months and I tried EVERYTHING but finally had to settle on an indoor kennel where he sleeps at night. I keep a little doggie bed and blanket in there and I bought little attachable food/water bowls... He has never peed inside the kennel and I did a lot of research on it...Good luck

Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,765,125 times
I also had a sicker dog that slept with me, and due to steroids started peeing on the bed. We got a human size flat mattress protector from a company specializing in that sort of problem and put it on like a bedspread at night so he was ok in his last weeks. He couldn't get on and off the bed himself it is too high. Just a additional note for those that may be reading with that issue.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,635,665 times
If your dog is spayed it also could be
spay incontinence.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM

4,132 posts, read 13,317,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
If your dog is spayed it also could be
spay incontinence.
Also if it's older, the muscles may not work the way they should work. The good news is there's meds for it.

Has she been checked for a urinary tract infection? That also could be it alth. if she's done it for a while, it may not be that but good to rule it out. It's possible also she's diabetic, that also can be detected w/ a small urine sample but is prob. unlikely if she's fairly young.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:54 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,948,319 times
I would pick up the water no later than 6pm. I would also visit the vet, she could have an infection that can be easily cleared up with an antibiotic.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 PM

5,641 posts, read 17,318,435 times
yeah, I would have a vet check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or