Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:55 PM

181 posts, read 1,076,599 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see the brand of dog food people here fed their pets.
I fed Canidae because it is a decent quality food at a fair price. $33.50 after tax for a 40lb bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 09:45 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
My male eats Canidae All Life Stage and the female eats Canidae's Lamb & Rice. I feed Canidae as I know it's not preserved with chemicals, it's by-product free and they have minimal allergy issues since I've started feeding that. She eats the L & R because it's lower in fat than the ALS and she wasn't fond of their food geared at seniors.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:46 PM

159 posts, read 355,652 times
Thumbs up Orijen by Champion Pet Foods

We feed our "dogter" Orijen by Champion Pet Foods. It is a family-owned Canadian company that gets all of their ingredients from local & regional farmers and suppliers and they actually manufacture all of their own pet foods. We get it at a local, natural pet supply store.

They actually list all of their suppliers on their web site so you can check them out as well.

I like this quote from their web site "After all, it is with our own dogs and cats in mind that we make ORIJEN - a food that truly puts the optimal nourishment of dogs and cats above all else - a food we proudly call "CANADA'S BEST".

Old 08-27-2007, 12:31 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ91 View Post
Just curious to see the brand of dog food people here fed their pets.
I fed Canidae because it is a decent quality food at a fair price. $33.50 after tax for a 40lb bag.
Wow! Your paying $33.50 for a 40 pound bag?! We are paying almost $40 for a 14 pound bag! We feed ours Natural Balance duck and potato dry formula. We did feed them Beneful, then we decided that we should switch them to Iams because we thought it was a good quality food! lol! Then we did some serious research on dog food and the ingredients in them and we decided to go with Natural Balance. After doing our research we decided that we were going to feed them Canidae or Natural Balance because they are both wonderful foods, but we ended up going with Natural Balance. We chose Natural Balance because it is an all natural food, it has no artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, or bleached ingredients. The duck and potato dry formula that we feed our babies is made with fresh duck (single premium quality protein source not commonly used in pet foods), fresh potatoes (single premium quality carbohydrates, rich in potassium and highly digestible energy source), canola oil (low in saturated fat and high in mono unsaturated fat. Excellent Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acid profile) and salmon oil (high in Omega 3, a natural source of DHA). Now, the duck and potato dry formula is for dogs with food allergies and they are eating that because we thought that Brooklyn had food allergies, but we found out it's not food allergies so we are going to be switching them back to the Natural Balance Ultra-Premium dry dog food that we originally had them on. The Natural Balance Ultra-Premium food is all natural and contains no artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, or bleached ingredients, just like all of the Natural Balance products. It is made with fresh chicken, New Zealand lamb meal, duck meal (premium quality meats *no by-products* from USDA approved plants and New Zealand Lamb Meal are combined to provide the most natural balance of proteins for your dog), brown rice (A superior rice grain with the nutrient-rich bran portion intact. This bran layer holds nutrients of vital importance, such as fiber and essential oils), fresh carrots (An excellent source of vitamin A and beta carotene), oatmeal (An exceptional source of: carbohydrates, fiber, thiamin and vitamin E. Not widely used in pet food because of cost, it does not contain the allergy causing glutens found in other grains) and fresh potatoes (Rich in potassium and an excellent source of highly digestible carbohydrates for energy). It also says.. REASONS YOU SHOULD BE FEEDING YOUR DOG NATURAL BALANCE®: First it names all of the ingredients that I just posted, then it says that the foods (or the ingredients in the foods) are Taurine Fortified.. New studies show that dogs need Taurine for cardiovascular health. And for skin and coat.. Linoleic Acid, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Vitamin E, Biotin and Kelp are used in the correct ratios required to produce an excellent skin and coat condition for your dog.

Our dogs eat better than we do! lol! They are so healthy and they look and act better than ever! Oh, and they absolutely love the food!

Here is the Natural Balance website for anyone that wants to check it out.. Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Pet Foods :1

Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 AM

40 posts, read 166,488 times
I feed Orijen. IMO it is the best kibble available today.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Pit Bull Mommie - you do know some of the DVP formulas were on the recall? I don't know if they have ceased doing business with the companies that were involved or not.

Raw. It's the only way to go....for me!~

Old 08-27-2007, 07:30 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
We eat RAW!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:24 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Natural Balance dry food, it is $38.99 for a 35 lb. bag. I feed her NB because it contains quality ingredients, no fillers or meat by-products, human grade ingredients and since we started her on it she has the nicest coat, so shiny!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
Nutro Ultra and I top it off with some baby food. I don't buy canned dog food anymore because of all the recalls. I just use a spoonful of baby food and mixed it with her dry food.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,089 times
Orajen...Although after reading all this posts about raw food, and how dogs thrive on it, I am thinking about switching myself. But when it comes to dry food - Orajen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs