Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 AM

149 posts, read 324,250 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum so bear with me.

My fiance & I are looking for our first family member of the canine kind. I have had a husky-lab mix & a bichon growing up (both sides of the spectrum, eh?), she has not but has had plenty of other smaller pets like Rabbits, birds, fish, etc. We have been looking for a while but we have had some problems deciding on dogs that fit our rather large list of criteria. Was wondering if anyone on here could offer some advice of breeds or mixes to look into, or any other advice in choosing the right dog.

The main issue is that, since both sets of parents have vacation homes, we will be traveling a lot. Therefore we want a dog that can travel and come with us on our weeks and weekends away. However, my fiances mom is allergic to pretty much everything, including dogs. Even though the dog wouldn't permanently stay at the house, it would still visit and leave behind its dander to cause a reaction. What are some dogs that would be least likely to cause a reaction with this limited exposure?

We are also debating about size and energy. Since my fiance will be a first time dog owner, we don't think getting a big or especially energetic dog would work. We also don't have the largest yard so there's not a ton of space available. However, we do have a few dog parks located nearby and both my fiance & I are runners. My Fiance is actually kind of excited to take a dog with her to run. It probably wouldn't be an every day thing but there are days when both of us will run up to an hour or more. Is there a medium-sized dog that is energetic enough to run with us but not too much that it drives us crazy & is more than we can handle?

Just to let you know, if it weren't for her mom, we would definitely get a Shelty. We love them, have experience with them and they are just beautiful and well-behaved dogs. Are there any dogs that are Shelty-like in temperment and behavior but bichon-like in their ability to not cause as many allergic reactions? We basically settled on a -doodle or -poo, and then found out that they're frauds (or at least the people trying to sell them).

Sorry for the super long post. As I said, we've been talking about this for a while but have had some difficulty agreeing on the perfect dog. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I don't know much about dogs or people with allergies. I know a few people who travel and part of why they wanted a smaller dog. One has a shih tzu and another a yorkie. If you are traveling by plane though not sure about a shih zu they could go under the seat in a carrier. I know first hand shih tzu are so loving too.
On a side note I am not sure what you meant about fraud and the doodle. I think Goldendoodles are so cute. I don't know much about them,their health issues,etc. Oh as a first time owner make sure to research the health issues that may happen.
Good luck in your choice

Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
daniella --- the "doodles" and "poos" and other cutesy named dogs are nothing more than mixed breed mutts being pawned off on a gullible public as new "designer" breeds ..... and the unscrupulous breeders are charging and getting a fortune for them because people don't know any better about what they are actually buying....

to the op ... if you will be doing this traveling by car, you will not be so limited by size.... my 50 lb heeler mix has traveled all over the midwest with me these past few years.....

as to the rest of your list of wants and needs, i don't know what to advise you.... there really is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog.... your m-i-l-to-be may be less reactive to one dog, but not its "cousin." Years ago, I had a friend who was very allergic to cats.... if my little black kitty so much as walked by him, he would break out in hives..... but i also had an orange tabby boy that didn't bother him in the least.... and in fact, my friend could literally spend hours playing with him.... is there some sort of medication your m-i-l-to-be could take to lessen her reaction to a dog?? it may happen that with repeated exposure, her reaction becomes less severe......

i would contact some rescues in your area.... tell them what you are looking for and about your lifestyle.... i am sure that one will have a dog in its foster system that will be perfect for you.... the dog having lived in a foster home is a bonus because its temperament and personality are known and can be matched to you......

Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
The dogs least likely to cause an allergic reaction are also the dogs that need regular professional grooming (budget $45/month) so keep that in mind. Except for the allergy thing I'd recommend a boston terrior b/c they are compact dogs but behave like big dogs and typically stay close to their people. But the allergy thing is really a big deal in your situation. Can you maybe foster a poodle type or bicshon type dog to test it all out? There are several rescue groups like Small Paws that would let you foster.....

Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM

149 posts, read 324,250 times
Thanks for your advice. The traveling would be by car, 5-6 hours max. As someone who has owned a Bichon before, I would like to have something different, though I know that I can work with that if need be.

Latetotheparty, I've heard of that happening. In fact, my future mother-in-law had that same issue with my fiance's cousin's dog (which happened to be a Sheltie- there is hope! ). She would go over to their house regularly but never have a reaction.

One of the reasons I asked about the allergy thing is that I remember reading somewhere about different dogs and different coats led to different levels of allergy sensitivity. I was wondering if anyone would be able to enlighten me more on those different coats and their sensitivities.

I think the fostering may be the way to go. I just hope that we are able to keep the dog permanently because we are not going to want to give it back .

Old 11-11-2011, 12:28 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
well firstly if your serious about a small dog and avoiding allergy issues theres only a VERY limited number of breeds that are CERTAIN not to cause allergy issues...

the Chinese crested (hairless) (the powderpuf rates VERY VERY unlikely to cause allergy issues too but hairless are truly hpoalergenic)
the American Hairless terrier
the Peruvian Inca Orchid
the Xoloitzcuintle (or xolo for short)

the biggest allergen caused by dogs is not hair but dander, and since all dogs lick themselves any dog with a coat/hair/fur/woll whatever can get a build up of that dander in the coat...
dogs that are low shedding keep the dander in the coat and are groomed ALOT more often making them less likely to agrivate allergies BUT the only TRULY "hypoalergenic" breeds are hairless breeds, 1 because they dont have enough fur to hold onto the saliva that helps create dander and 2 because they get frequent skin upkeep to keep what little dander they have to an extreem minimum.

hairless breds do need skin care just like people, the powderpuff crestie gets a bath every 2 weeks but my hairless needs a weekly bath and lotion...they need a cotton t-shirt or a mild baby safe sun lotion during the summer...and al hairless breeds need a little bit of extra warmth in the winter...yes these are "dress up" dogs!

my vote is for the chinese crested, i have 2 (a hairless and a powderpuff) and ADORE them, ive yet to meet anyone allergic to either, there small (mine re 5 1/2lbs and almost 10 lbs) smart sweet and incredibly loyal, and mine are GREAT travlers...

the AHT (american hairless) is a genetic mutation within the Rat Terrier...as a whole though they tend to be much more laid back in terms of personality than the rat terriers, ive never owned one but i know theres a member on this board who does and shes adorable.

PIO are interesting little dogs, hard to find but sweet natured dogs...
Xolo similar, very loyal sweet but both these breeds can be standoffish with strangers.

then you have the LOW allergen breeds, typically none-very low shedding breeds.
these breeds tend to require frequent grooming

-Bedlington terrier (nicknamed little lambs), those ive met have been sweet fun loving but can be a little timmid
-Bichon Frise, youve had one you know what there like
-Havanese, those ive met are sweet veyr cute and happy go lucky little guys, can be a little barky, but ive yet to meet one i dont like lol
-Lhasa Apso, sweet but socilize well as pups, can be barky, they were origionally bred as alarm dogs!
-LowChen, i love these guys! (also known as the little lion dog)
-Maltese, ive met very swet laid back maltese and hyper active maltese, but there all beautiful and very loving!
-Poodle, i mean this is the good old stand by for allergy sufferers and they are an incredibly breed with a size for everyone, if your willing to upkeep on the coat (and no you dont have to keep it in a froo froo girly cut) this is an amagzing breed with a BIG brain! you cant go wrong with a well bred well soclized poodle!
-Shihtzu, again similar personality to the lhasa, bred as little alarm dogs, they can be barky and warey of strangers but great little dogs
-Yorkshire Terrier...personally not typically my choice for a first timer, there mistaken for "toy" dogs when they are 100% terrier! but definatly a low shedding little option.

then you move to the low shedding/wirehaireds...there a little more likley to cause allergies than the ones above, but not as much as many other breeds...they require a little less grooming than those above but still need regular attendance and wirehaired dogs need to be stripped since they dont shed easily.

-Affenpincer, (aka monkey dog) there an aquied taste but their personality matches their funny looks, these guys are CLOWNS and highly underrated!
-Aussie terrier, not nessicarily a bred id suggest for a first timer...high energy/high drive but fun!
-Basenji, not nesscicarily the right choice but low shedding and compact. but can be "tough" as they are quite aloof and independant...there the dog for cat people! lol
-Border Terrier, again might be too much dog, high energy, there a true terrier...
-Brussels griffon, like the affenpincer another with a funny face, but like the affen they match thier silly funny clownish personalities!
-Cairn Terriet, aka "toto" and yes they are that mischevious! but oh my goodness cute!
- Long Haired Chihuahua, chis get a bad rep due to bad socilization practices but they realy are great little dogs and the long haired tend to be good for allergy sufferers
-Dandy Dinmont Terrier, not as high strong as some of the other terriers and will certainly turn heads, but there a "big" dog on little legs...
-English Toy Spaniel...cut, small and will turn heads.
-Japanses chin, i love these guys, there so cute and silly!
-Mini Schnauzer, ive met minis i love and minis i dont like, they can go to either end of the energy spectrum, there a downsized version of a WORKING dog!
-Norfolk Terrier, can be a little too high energy though
-Norwhich Terrier, (see above)
-Pappillion, these guys are sweet and sart but can be high energy! (great if you are interested in agility)
-Scottish terrier
-selyham terrier
-shiba inu (another dog for cat people)
-Welsh terrier
-wire fox terrier
-west highland white terrier (also known as the westie)

now of those given what info we've been given id say a Crestie or AHT, poodle (mini rather than toy for a running partner), low chen, mini schnauzer or papillion.

all none-low shedding low dander breeds, not tiny breakable but easy traveling size, all typically more than large and energetic enough to keep up on a hike/jog but small enough to not need that kind of excersize daily and typically quiet in the house, typically easy keepers and generally all easy to train, and typically good traveling companions!

as already said also a well groomed dog is less likely to cause issues with allergies too!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,524 times
Talking Simple answer...

There is no simple answer, sorry. You will need to do your homework on your new pup. The good news, you are well on your way. At least you are taking the time to do your homework, so...kudo's to you!!!

You've got three "types" to choose from:
1. Hairless
2. Hair (needs to be groomed) hair grows, needs to be cut and kept (like ours)
3. Fur (grows to a certain length) doesn't grow longer and "sheds" it's coat(s), more dander.

Something you must also do (and you mentioned in your post) is take your lifestyle into consideration. How active you and your family are, travel, etc., it's good to see you are looking at all angles of this before falling for the first cute dog that comes along...which is very easy to do.

Next, have you considered a shelter, rescue group or are you thinking of a breeder? Have you considered fostering? If you foster, you could try on a few different breeds before making a decision and who knows, the one you foster could be a perfect fit for your family? It is something to consider?

Well there are many things to think about and discuss before your final decision. Keep us in the loop and let us know how it goes!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
My gf dd couldnt be around any dog breeds Except Boxers! So you really never know! Maybe your MIL could go see some dogs with you to see how she reacts.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Is the dog required to go to MILs with you?? Perhaps you can bring the dog along, but stay in a dog friendly hotel and the dog can go to a local doggie day care while you visit? Then you eliminate the issue of the allergens all together. You can get the sheltie if you know they fit your lifestyle and you both like them.

Just a thought!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM

17 posts, read 30,214 times
I have allergies, and I've had many dogs growing up. My reactions were least severe when I had the Chihuahua. Also, like you mentioned, I traveled everywhere with that monkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs