U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 06:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,651,541 times

Advertisements

at 9 months old if she needs to pee and poop that often you need to re-evaluate WHT your feeding and how often...
only a puppy whos eating 24/7, has a medical issue or is on a bad diet full of grains is going to poop that much.

she needs togo out EVERY hour...if 10 mins every 2 hours is to long then she needs to be taken out every hour...simple...
its not a hard concept...
if she has chance to have an accident you wernt watching close enough...dogs give clues, some are INCREDIBLY subtle, but they all give clues (my female simply sits there and looks at you, im pretty sure she belives i can ready minds...my male is increidbly subtle if he needs to go, he will give me 1 warning and thats a small sigh...then if i dont notice or pay heed hell poop on the floor...hes now almost 3 years old...
its not his fault that i dont catch that tiny cue...hes giving it to me its just so small its easy to miss, this is probably the case in point with your pap too...
shes telling you...your just not noticing it...and untill you do you need to be pro-active and just simply take her out every hour on the hour and stay out there untill she does something...

ive had hard to housebreak dogs...my 3 yr old male i still not reliable...its NOT the dogs fault its mine...accidents only happen if I am not doing my job and paying close enough attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 PM

12,372 posts, read 31,261,979 times
I never said she couldnt hold it over 1 hr...geeee please read before you post

Old 11-13-2011, 10:28 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,794,768 times
YOU need to get some professional help with the dog, what ever you are doing is not working.

There is a wonderful post by I think ViralMD about potty training. I recently did a search, printed it out and followed it to a TEE and my 4 year old rescue was trained in 5 days and only a few accidents all of which were MY fault. My dog had never been house trained, had lived outside in a small kennel for most of his life.

YOU said your dog is smart, so you need to quit blaming the dog and the breeder and get to work, training means consistancy and you are not being consistant.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 PM

I have tried her method.... Also this Method ASPCA - Virtual Pet Behaviorist - House Training Your Puppy Mill Dog Which actually help a lot! I also had her with a friend that been in Rescue 20+ yrs & until Lady-Bug Never failed to housetrain a dog! I had her with another friend where all but 1 dog came from the pound! Neither had any luck! So PLEASE Get Off My Back!! This was Only a VENT!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,651,541 times
got a feeling theres a dead horse here...
but ill say it once...
i didnt say she couldnt hold it more than an hour....
YOUR the one that said and i quote
Quote:
10 mins every 2 hrs is all I can trust her
if this is the case then you need to seriously rewind because obvisouly 2 hours betwen enforced potty trips is too long so you need to go back to every hour, then ever hour and a half, then every 2 hours and SLOWLY increase back up again...
obviously 2 hours is too long because you can only trust her for 10 mins in that time...so essentially she needs to be treated as an 8 week old puppy..

youve been given advice and obviously dont want to hear it on either of your threads, but youd rather make excuses...oh sorry...REASONS...why this isnt your fault or why you know better despite putting these issues on a public forum as a problem...

so since you dont want to follow any of the advice given...i wish your puppy well and lots of luck...got a feeling shes going to need it.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:14 AM

861 posts, read 1,449,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So PLEASE Get Off My Back!! This was Only a VENT!
When you vent on a public message board you should expect responses.

What kind of life does a pupdog have when it is let out of its cage 10 minutes 6 times a day? The pupdog gets angry, hurt, confused, bored, and of course the first thing it is going to do when it is let out of its cage is pee or poop. A pupdog does NOT want to use a litterbox in a cage it sleeps in. I don't blame it. I would NOT want a litterbox right next to my bed.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 AM

IF I put a bed next to the litterbox she Poops on it instead of in the box! Most time now she doesnt use the litterbox in the crate....is uses the one on the floor of the kitchen. And she doent use it Everytime she out the crate. 10 mins is play time & run the kitchen floor time Most time! And she also goes outside to play tho no fences so she on leash [20 foot long] In the past month we been working on walking on leash...about 2-3 days ago my son has taken her for 20 min walks in addition to what I have mentioned. Outside off carpet she fine on carpet she stops & potties BEFORE her back feet hit the ground!! No warning at all!!! She doesnt potty Everytime she stops...so thats no signal either. She been doing fine on the 10 mins only on Carpet AFTER she pottied in litterbox. Trust is something she needs to earn... My gf had her a week [was to be a month] but gave up! Lady-Bug just thinks anything cloth is fair game to potty on! Be it furniture carpet towel on floor neighbor took his coat off she promply walked over & peed on it UGH And she pee/poo on your lap too! When I asked her breeder if she did this to her she said...yep all time I asked what she did to correct her she said Nothing its such a tiny amount who cares UGH Reminds me of people I know with birds & the bird gets out cage & lands on them & Poops! YECK They brush it off & go on eating or whatever they were doing!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 AM

5,210 posts, read 9,084,419 times
Have you tried taking her on walks? My dogs usually only poop twice a day while on their walks - once in the morning, once in the late afternoon/evening. They pee more depending on water intake but even the puppy can go 4 hours during the day and 8 hours overnight without peeing.

I think you need to get your little guy on a regular feeding/walking/playing schedule. At 9 months, he should not be in his crate this much. It sounds as though he is desperate for your attention.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:07 PM

So far she not pottied on walks. Tho they are loose lead not formal healing & she could if she wanted to.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,084,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So far she not pottied on walks. Tho they are loose lead not formal healing & she could if she wanted to.
Something about walking on a lead usually makes their little systems want to go. Poops are usually accomplished within a walk around the block.

When she gets up in the morning, take her outside to pee and let her have her breakfast/water outside. Then take her on a 15/20 minute walk.

Limit in between meal snacks to small training treats (like a cheerio). Make sure she has access to plenty of water and let her outside every few hours.

Take her on another walk after she eats dinner.

It also might help to but a few of her poops in a particular area outside - it'll help her know where the bathroom is supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs