U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:02 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,727,565 times

Advertisements

same boat here too stan, i prefer to train my dogs constructivly with positive reinforcment...worked well so far despite having a "difficult" breed. lol
will admit a squirt gun is great for keeping the cats in line though :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 09:05 AM

43,450 posts, read 52,456,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
same boat here too stan, i prefer to train my dogs constructivly with positive reinforcment...worked well so far despite having a "difficult" breed. lol
will admit a squirt gun is great for keeping the cats in line though :P
I know. I am such a cheater. Everyone is all like, "Oh, your dogs are so well-trained and so smart and know so many tricks." Yeah. I like picked the easiest breed in the world to work with...makes me look like a freakin' genius.

Practically every cat owner I know walks around with a squirt bottle...cracks me up!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM

22,762 posts, read 16,204,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our dogs are neither bored nor neglected. As collies, they are personally offended by ANYTHING out of their reach that moves (if it's within their reach, they will race to it immediately and stop its offending movement). Our house is made up pretty much entirely out of windows, and we live in the kind of neighborhood where people spend a lot of time outside biking, walking dogs, running, etc. UPS and Fed Ex make daily appearances. There are also little rabbits and squirrels everywhere.

OMG, the barking. But there is always a reason. I really feel safe, as those dogs don't let a darn thing slip by them. We are not submitting our neighbors to that incessant noise.

We don't believe in leaving our dogs out in the yard unsupervised. If they do start barking, it's end of play time and get your ass inside time.

This breed is a vocal breed, they are not nonsense or lonely barking, and they think they are doing their job. Fine by me. I would never debark a dog.
Great points.
I have a sheltie/pom mix and he is much the same. I am constantly amazed at what he hears, long before the bigger dogs are even aware that there is something or someone outside.

Of course, it is a perpetuating behavior - in his little brain when he barks, he gets results. The birds fly away, the cars and trucks drive away so as far as he is concerned he has been successful at his job.

I live in an area where there are predators - hawks, owls, coyotes, the sorts of things that he perceives could hurt him or the rest of us - so, his warnings are often for very good reasons.

As much as it drives me crazy sometimes, I'd rather that than the quiet

Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 AM

12,396 posts, read 31,375,749 times
It wasnt the adults dogs but all those teething pups! Your right never had collies or shelties chew much even during teething stage. Katie Still loves to chew her chewies but then she been the Only Dog for yrs & life can get boring. I Love the fact I can have 2 dogs now! They can Play with each other! Katies hasnt figured out Lady-bug yet it kinda funny to watch LOL When I 1st brought her home she ran from her! Now they are ok unless Lady-Bug bounces off her head & then Katie Growls & Rolls her!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM

4,707 posts, read 10,136,984 times
I would not debark a dog. Who ever owned Phoenix before I met her had her debarked so now she "Harfs". She has spent her life choking on food due to being debarked and so is a very slow eater and drinker. Debarked dogs are also more prone to aspiration pneumonia.Nope I would not do it . There are reasons a lot of vets won't.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM

12,396 posts, read 31,375,749 times
I think her DeBarking statement was just to let us know how desperate she getting. She does need to find a vet experanced[sp] at doing it!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM

13,785 posts, read 18,706,772 times
Im not a fan of de barking it is cruel and inhumane and yes dash is right aspiration pneumonia is the no 1 killer of de barked dogs and I specifically found my vet because he would not do it . He also thinks it is cruel and inhumane . . enough said .

Old 11-17-2011, 10:18 AM

5,679 posts, read 6,512,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Go out with him when he barks give him a command Quiet for instenice grab his muzzle & hold shut all else fails get a bottle of water/vinagar mix & squrt him Another trick TEACH him to SPEAK on Command!! Believe it or not after awhile he be Quiet til told to Speak!!
Well, when I taught my GSD to speak, she kept speaking all the time. It drove me so crazy, I had to teach her to "whisper." She whispers perfectly - doesn't make a sound, just wrinkles her lips. That might be an option for the OP - redirecting the barking into "whispering."

Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,061,801 times
I just want to say that debarking is probably crueler than any abuse this dog endured because he will NEVER be able to recover from the trauma of debarking!

Don't debark your dog!!!

Be a responsible owner--even if it takes time, money and effort to train properly via a behaviorist.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:54 PM

21,331 posts, read 11,535,206 times
My 2 1/2 year old dog was barking a lot outside in back. I didn't really realize it until my neighbor mentioned it to me. I felt really bad so I am almost always with him now outside so I've been unintentionally working with him to stop the barking. I basically just tell him no and have him sit. Again, not really meaning to train him because I just thought he is a barker as a small dog most of them are. Well lately I've been hearing a strange noise outside-quiet! He hardly ever barks anymore when he's out there. I saw some neighbors walking by with their dogs so I ran outside quick to quiet Cooper and found him just sitting and watching them walk by with no barking. I can't believe it but they will learn, it just takes time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or