U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
 
12,120 posts, read 28,448,207 times
Reputation: 3780

Advertisements

Our old female yellow lab would bark up a storm when she sensed there was another animal outside, then we would let her outside to chase it

though this is a common scenario, i always wondered what her intention actually was had she actually fulfilled her "dream" of actually catching the animal(dog, cat squirrel) which of course she never did. No matter how hard she tried dragging her 63 lb body along the ground as she ran, she always came back defeated

so what was the dog's intent? assuming it actually did catch it's prey would she try to actually maim the other animal, injure it, cripple it, or is this just a show of bravado and to show it's her "turf"? her barking could really intimidate cats, i have seen her quarrel with other dogs(literally at each other's throats), so i wondered given an actual opportunity for a real fight, would she actually try to kill? or is the "aggression" we see actually just a desire to play and play hard?

can a sweet old yellow girl lab actually want to end another animal's life? does it know what that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 PM
 
Location: In the middle...
1,253 posts, read 3,026,045 times
Reputation: 1821
Any breed of dog can become aggressive and any dog can have the desire to kill another animal. It is with ownership, training and socialization that we can change what an animal can become into the animal he is.

We have to remember that a dog is an animal first. Then a dog, then fill his/her name. Sometimes we forget this. The fact is, they are animals first. The desire to protect their territory is an instinct that still apart of what wolves do. The hunt is, too. So whether your dog wants to chase off an animal or hunt it, it is very natural. As far as just hurt it? That is not in its DNA. Kill yes, just "hurt it" no. Why do you think they came up with, "it's a a dog eat dog world." It's about killing not hurting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2011, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,240 posts, read 13,975,522 times
Reputation: 6062
Depends a lot on the dog I think. I had the sweetest rottie on the face of the planet. Before Diva came in, my currently staffie who is pack mom, that was Candy's place. She was the most gentle patient soul I've ever seen. She was out back watching over dogs with me one day. I turned my back to go get the rake to clean up and when I turned around I saw her toss something in the air, and after I realized it was a mole and before I could even yell no......................gulp! I know she didn't do it out of meanness. To her it was just another treat. Didn't stop me from wanting to yack up lunch right there on the spot. But she's a carnivore at the end of the day. Dogs eat other animals in the wild. It's in their nature. It's not an evil thing. It's just being a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,584 posts, read 33,657,665 times
Reputation: 16822
Nanners will run down a rabbit, kill it, then eat it. She did the same thing to a nest of newborn rabbits, she ate all four of them. She's not far removed from her wolfie heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 AM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,165,248 times
Reputation: 9611
I agree it depends on the dog. And since they kill to eat in the wild, you really can't fault them.
I had a chow mix who caught a chipmunk, and ran into my father's house with it, where she dropped it. I caught it after a lot of craziness and let it back outside, and she had carried it very carefully. It was only missing a tiny bit of fur on top of its head. I think she was planning on keeping it for a pet. Well probably more like a toy, but she didn't mean it any harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 32,291,581 times
Reputation: 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I agree it depends on the dog. And since they kill to eat in the wild, you really can't fault them.
I had a chow mix who caught a chipmunk, and ran into my father's house with it, where she dropped it. I caught it after a lot of craziness and let it back outside, and she had carried it very carefully. It was only missing a tiny bit of fur on top of its head. I think she was planning on keeping it for a pet. Well probably more like a toy, but she didn't mean it any harm.
Angel carried a baby rabbit in one day.

She always carrying her toys so, I saw her walk right by me.

Then the toy moved across the kitchen floor......

We put the rabbit out and it was fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 91,977,747 times
Reputation: 30378
My husband's former lab hated porcupines. He got quills in his face as a puppy. After that, every time he smelled or saw a porcupine, he was out for blood. Nothing could stop him, not even those quills. There were lots of vet trips to remove quills over the years. You'd think he would have learned to avoid porcupines but the pain caused a hate that he couldn't resist and he wanted every porcupine dead.

For some dogs, it's just the thrill of the chase or wanting to play. Our current old lab has caught up with deer, only to stand and graze in the field with them. Our basset caught our pet parakeet once. He was carrying it around in his mouth, not killing it but softly carring it like he found a new friend.

Regardless, I would never purposely let my dog outside to chase something it hears. My goodness, any dog can get seriously hurt by another animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 AM
 
24,843 posts, read 32,291,581 times
Reputation: 11447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My husband's former lab hated porcupines. He got quills in his face as a puppy. After that, every time he smelled or saw a porcupine, he was out for blood. Nothing could stop him, not even those quills. There were lots of vet trips to remove quills over the years. You'd think he would have learned to avoid porcupines but the pain caused a hate that he couldn't resist and he wanted every porcupine dead.

For some dogs, it's just the thrill of the chase or wanting to play. Our current old lab has caught up with deer, only to stand and graze in the field with them. Our basset caught our pet parakeet once. He was carrying it around in his mouth, not killing it but softly carring it like he found a new friend.

Regardless, I would never purposely let my dog outside to chase something it hears. My goodness, any dog can get seriously hurt by another animal.
Most "yard invaders" will just run up a tree or, out of the area as fast as they can.

Our two labs KNOW deer are special.

They will bark at them from the deck but, never get off the deck until the deer are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,165,248 times
Reputation: 9611
I don't trust raccoons. I heard barking and some godawful noises one night when a dog I had was outside. He and a raccoon were on opposite sides of the fence swearing at each other. Maybe the raccoon was a little bolder on the other side of the fence, but I don't doubt it would have left some nasty wounds if they were on the same side and my dog had gotten close enough. It was one of those really big ones and the whole thing scared the crap out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,352 posts, read 16,766,093 times
Reputation: 11458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Nanners will run down a rabbit, kill it, then eat it. She did the same thing to a nest of newborn rabbits, she ate all four of them. She's not far removed from her wolfie heritage.

bailey has done this, too.... and dave has caught 2 possums in the back yard... one survived and one did not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top