U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Ask the owners if they would be good neighbors.

If that fails, buy two 5lb hershey bars and feed them to the dogs.

In less than 24 hours, the barking should stop.

jk
Sorry to disappoint you....

My labs eat chocolate all the time.

They get chocolate rabbits in thier Easter baskets.

How interesting you feel committing a crime is OK.

And that would be your attempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 AM

20 posts, read 22,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Sorry to disappoint you....

My labs eat chocolate all the time.

They get chocolate rabbits in thier Easter baskets.

How interesting you feel committing a crime is OK.

And that would be your attempt.

'Alphamale' wrote "jk" = just kidding!

But that's interesting, my uncle's lab ate chocolate a lot too...maybe it's a breed thing.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:31 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times
Well, I had neighbors with an annoying dog. So, I got a dog too. Their annoying dog no longer bothered me, because my dog was just as bad.

So, that was my "solution". I got a cross between a Bassett Hound/Corgi. He was louder than their Cocker Spaniel.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,306,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creddy View Post

But that's interesting, my uncle's lab ate chocolate a lot too...maybe it's a breed thing.
I would not feed any other dogs like I do Bear and Angel.

They just grew up that way...I was not very educated about dogs but, we made it!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,715,536 times
i did want to add to this conversation to the people who say "aww thats not so bad" or "my dogs are louder" ect...

that shoudlnt matter...
just because it doesnt bother you doesnt mean it doesnt bother the neighbor...
just because YOU are ok with your dogs (or neighbors dogs) making a racket, doesnt mean everyone else has to be.

i have 3 dogs currently, 2 of which are barkers...and there small dogs...
i know if i leave them outside alone they will bark...i dont mind the barking but i understand im not the only person on the planet so i go out with them, work with them, train them to be quiet on command, ect.
just because i dont mind it doesnt mean my neighbors should have to live with it...
and it realy borhtrs me when people brush off things like nuisance barking, dogs wandering ect just because its what there ok with.

yes i have dogs, yes i LOVE animals...doesnt mean i want my neighbors dog wandering through my yard...
i dont mind my dogs barking....doesnt mean i want them bothering the entire street...
doesnt eman i want to hear YOURS going at it at all hours either.

its called respect...
i dont LET my dogs bark at all hours, i dont leve them outside alone so i can work on it...and when they do start barking i do what i can to end it as quickly as possible...

now i get it, some breeds are barkers...
that doesnt mean your neighbors shoudl just get over it simply because to you its not "that loud"

but simply brushign the op off because the barking doesnt seem that bad on the video...well...

op as i sad, theres mixed reveiws on the ultrasonic devices, i think the key would be getting one strong enough and getting it as close to the fence line as possible.
at the shelter i used to work at we used a valtec "super bark stop" and it did make a difference in the play yards...not all dogs responded to it but id say it was effective in about 75% of the dogs we got in.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 AM

20 posts, read 22,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i did want to add to this conversation to the people who say "aww thats not so bad" or "my dogs are louder" ect...

that shoudlnt matter...
just because it doesnt bother you doesnt mean it doesnt bother the neighbor...
just because YOU are ok with your dogs (or neighbors dogs) making a racket, doesnt mean everyone else has to be.

and it realy borhtrs me when people brush off things like nuisance barking, dogs wandering ect just because its what there ok with.

yes i have dogs, yes i LOVE animals...doesnt mean i want my neighbors dog wandering through my yard...
i dont mind my dogs barking....doesnt mean i want them bothering the entire street...
doesnt eman i want to hear YOURS going at it at all hours either.

its called respect...
i dont LET my dogs bark at all hours, i dont leve them outside alone so i can work on it...and when they do start barking i do what i can to end it as quickly as possible.
Thanks for understanding, and writing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
op as i sad, theres mixed reveiws on the ultrasonic devices, i think the key would be getting one strong enough and getting it as close to the fence line as possible.
at the shelter i used to work at we used a valtec "super bark stop" and it did make a difference in the play yards...not all dogs responded to it but id say it was effective in about 75% of the dogs we got in.
Did you mean Viatec? The only Super Bark Stop I could find is one amazon, HERE

Even if one of the 2 would respond to it, it'd help! And I read that some people leave it on the audible mode so that the owners get the idea of making their dogs bark (!). Interesting idea, but I hope it doesn't come to that. Will likely purchase the Viatec one and put it close to the fence. If it works, I'll get 2 - it's a long property line!

Thanks for writing!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times
Quote:
We have a dog, and call her our daughter and our son's 'sister', but we don't treat her like a human and don't actually see her that way. So, I forget that for many dog owners they really take it personally when ANYthing negative is said about their *children*!

Thanks for taking a moment and writing about your experiences. It also spurred me to think more about the idea of lasting first impressions/interactions. Maybe I'll wait and try some neighborly kindness through the holidays (i.e. bringing them cookies, etc.). I used to do that kind of thing in our previous neighborhood and won over many neighbors that way. We tried to go visit them on Halloween, but they had their lights out

I'm really starting to see that any discussion about the dogs - their children - would go over better if we were at least friendly first

Thanks again.
This truly is your best course of action. You need to become friends with your neighbors first. I'm not talking merely giving them holiday cookies and then saying something about the dogs within the first few times you interact with them. Wait until you've established a solid neighborly relationship with them. This gives them an opportunity to get to know you as nice, reasonable people. And if they feel they have an interest vested in the friendship, they'll more likely take your concerns to heart. But barging over there with your first interaction being a complaint will not go over well.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:50 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,025,684 times
Quote:
The train argument doesn't necessarily hold here, because people KNOWINGLY buy those properties. We selected a property outside the town limits, wooded for privacy, and thought that one on 2 acres, not in a neighborhood (without an HOA), and about 150ft from our neighbors houses would buy us some quiet/isolation.
Clearly your plans failed. Time to adjust. Life's too short to be miserable.

Quote:
I wouldn't be bothered by what you described with your neighbor's dog either - you stated they GET BORED, and go away. These dogs DON'T, and their owners don't let them back in - if they're even home! The property line where the hound runs along their fence is about 90 ft from our screened in porch; but, it's still not enough to damper the noise to a background level.
Ha! I never said the dog stops barking after he gets bored. He just stops snarling at us from 4 feet away. At least your neighbor's dogs are 90 feet away. I consider you lucky! LOL

Quote:
However, I hope we DO adjust to it and someday finish a meal outside!
I hope so too.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM

36,491 posts, read 41,679,184 times
I DID finally listen to the recording. Given my experience with the breeds, it's not an atypical level of noise.

However, as others mention, that doesn't mean you have to be okay with it, just because it's what those breeds do. And any level of barking is grating if it's consistent for hours and hours and hours on end.

Unfortunately, it's a tough thing to address productively. My experience with hound breeds, too (and, remember, beagles are small hounds, as well), is that they do NOT get tired/bored and stop barking. They only stop barking when there are no sights, and particularly, no smells, to bark about, and really, that means pretty much never, especially for dogs that are left outdoors consistently in a wooded area. There is literally no end of smells and creatures about which they will bark and bay. It's what they're supposed to do.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:43 AM

39,239 posts, read 18,776,770 times
Default Not a j/k

Quote:

If someone in politics and controversies recommended assassination or in the relationship forum recommended murder or assault.....writing jk wouldnt make it less offensive....and in the case of assassination wouldnt reassure the secret service. Murder is not a j/k and to suggest poisoning someone's pet isn't "joke" it is a crime. There is too much craziness out there for this to be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs