Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creddy View Post
What a great idea! I had no idea that acoustic fencing existed!! We will be putting up a fence this summer for our kids - will DEFINITELY look into this. Worth every penny if it works :-)

Thanks a lot for the reply!!
I sure think it would help.

Your welcome!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 08:13 AM

20 posts, read 29,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
1: talk to them first...

2: find out your legal protection most areas have laws reguarding nuisance barking, many areas also have laws reguarding noise before and after certain hours (in my parents town after 10 pm or before 8am its a noise violation and can be ticketed!)
if talking to the neighbors gets no results, it might be worth filing noise or nuiscanse reports.

3: there are ultrasonic devices that you can put in your yard that are supposed to deter barking...
ive seen mixed results, with them but the one ive seen looks like a bird house, you hang it in a tree or on a fence post neer the problem dogs, and if all else fails it might be worth trying.
Oh yeah...I remember reading about these a while ago when we were actually looking at a different house in this area, that ended up having bat issues in the attic and overhangs. So, we were looking into using one of these devices on this property for bats. Maybe we'll try this first. Wonder if it's battery operated...? If it is, and if it ends up working, maybe my electronic/engineer husband could rig it to have a remote control, so when WE are bothered by their barking we can turn it on and not run down the batteries as quickly.

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I sure think it would help.

Your welcome!!!!
I think it will also actually help the dogs SEE less things too, like during BBQs, kids playdates, and especially in winter when all of our many deciduous trees lose their leaves and squirrels/rodents are more visible to them!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hounds bark and howl.....

In fact in their bred standard the louder the better.

Then when they reach their prey the ad a little hiccup at the end.

I good hound's man knows their dog.

The only way I would know to stop it is the use of an electric collar.

I can tell just what is happening around Rip (hound) by his voice.
These 2 are interesting. We can see what sets them off more in the past week since the leaves are almost all gone.

The hound seems true to everyone's descriptions - when he sees something he just runs right after it and barks/howls like crazy. Or if they put him in the outdoor doggie-fence denclosure he just howls/whines to be let out. It's an awful, sad sounding plea.

The beagle seems pretty typical, barks persistently at EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that moves, but especially at their back door to just be let back in. But THANK GOODNESS he doesn't BAY!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
you might just have stumbled on the reason why the previous owners of your house moved away!

we live on acreage but even so we listen to our neighbors 7 dogs [ left outside 24/7] carrying on at all hours of the day. we have to be selective about what we complain to these neighbors about because there are so many things on the list. underfed horses, loose cow, extremely loud well pump whining 24/7, do you
feel better? ha. I feel your pain.
So sorry :-( That sounds incredibly frustrating (but does make me thankful for only having dog issues, and not cows and horses too...) We were told the husband got a job transfer, but they were only here 3yrs....so it's possible. Other neighbors said the wife was really unhappy here - we'll never know why for sure.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
I was finally able to find our county's municipal noise ordinance (we're just outside the town limits in a wooded, rural area, with houses about 100+ feet from each other): Says not between 11pm & 7am. Okay, if that's the law - I'm sure I can learn to live with a reasonable amount of noise.

As far as *dog* noise, this is what it states: "The keeping of any animal which, by causing frequent or long continued noise, shall disturb the comfort and repose of any reasonable person of ordinary sensibilities in the vicinity." So, this is where common sense comes in. These dogs are left out for HOURS. Whether the owner is home or not, that is irresponsible and inconsiderate, and no matter how close/far we live from eachother.

Thanks so much for your responses. Really appreciate you taking the time to write.
The legal definition of "resonable person" applies to the complainer, not the accused. The judge will consider if you are resonable person with ordinary sensibilities. If your hearing/personality is overly sensitive, you will not win. If you live in a more rural area, reasonable and sensible will be subjective concerning barking dogs because it's typical to leave hunting dogs outside for hours. That might be why your local ordinance is vague.

Quote:
I hope your not suggesting that their neighbors shouldn't have to suffer and not be able to have friends over for BBQs or have a nice dinner outside because of it (which is the case for us)!
This is where I'm not sure if you're reasonable. My neighbor's dog barks much louder and worse than what's on your video, and we still enjoy our yard and eat outside.

Since we live in a 100 year old neighborhood, our houses aren't situated in the center of our properties but on the far ends. Their house might be far away but their fence line is literally 4 feet away from our house. Our fence line literally touches our other neighbor's garage on the far side of our property.

As a result, my neighbor's barking dog is four feet away from out back door and patio. And his barking really doesn't bother us much. He'll come to the fence and bark nastily at us for a few mintus and then bore and leave to bark at other stuff, usually the door to be let inside like your neighbor's dogs do.

Quote:
That may be your preference, but we moved from a house that was 12ft from the neighbors on either side to this house, for just THAT purpose - peace and quiet!
Most people adjust to the noise in their surroundings. People who live next to train tracks dont' hear the trains. People who live in the wilderness don't hear the crickets. People with grandfather clocks don't hear them chime every 15 minutes. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:26 AM

48,110 posts, read 21,992,097 times
A real problem and good suggestions.

I own a beagle and since getting her....they have become my favorite breed of dogs.....and the baying is sweet music to my ears....most of the time......unlike other dogs.....my experience is that the baying and barking is usually a very happy sound.....or one of thrilled anticipation......Daddy's home we are going for a walk now. When she wants to come in its usually a single bark at the door....followed by patient waiting. When she is outside.....we are home and she usually is sleeping on the chaise lounge on the deck.......she absolutely isnt barking....and even if on the happy trail of a mouse or vole.....its lots of tail wagging....barking gets her to be brought in.

I do suggest that you talk to your neighbor......but I also expect it will be poorly received. I had new neighbors move in next door. The previous neighbors had loved my terrier mix and invited her over for cook outs and playing with the kids.....they fed her and considered a part of their family. At that time she had free run between our two properties.....and she never went anywhere else.....BUT they moved away. After almost a year....new neighbors moved in.....and my McKenzie couldnt wait to go over to see if her kids had come back.....and made a bee line over.....and returned several times over the next week.

My new neighbor came over and had a talk......"my wife hates dogs"...."you will have to keep your dog out of our yard". Regardless of the fact that if they had firmly told her....."Go Home".....that would have probably been enough.....(she's loving but not stupid and would have gotten it) I complied and immediately had my back yard fenced.......that worked out well because that was when I got the beagle girl......who definately couldnt have free run.....she would have been 2 counties over by supper. That interaction worked for both of us....and the dogs...there has never been another dog problem.....but I really dont like my neighbors and we seldom even wave or acknowledge one another.

They were 100% within their rights and I know that....but to me it was as if.....he had said "my wife hates your child" ..... it just didn't sit well as our first interaction. There probably wasnt any other way for them to address it.....but it defined a chilly neighbor experience.....that persists.

But my mother-in-law lived next door to a barking dog......left out while its owner was at work.....and I know how annoying/maddening/unfair it is to inflict 8 hours of barking on a neighbor....especially when you are away and dont have to endure it.

So you are well within your rights.....but I still predict it won't be well received.

Last edited by elston; 11-20-2011 at 05:55 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is where I'm not sure if you're reasonable. My neighbor's dog barks much louder and worse than what's on your video, and we still enjoy our yard and eat outside.

Most people adjust to the noise in their surroundings. People who live next to train tracks dont' hear the trains. People who live in the wilderness don't hear the crickets. People with grandfather clocks don't hear them chime every 15 minutes. Etc. Etc. Etc.
The train argument doesn't necessarily hold here, because people KNOWINGLY buy those properties. We selected a property outside the town limits, wooded for privacy, and thought that one on 2 acres, not in a neighborhood (without an HOA), and about 150ft from our neighbors houses would buy us some quiet/isolation.

All I can say to how 'reasonable' I am is that every friend I've had over has commented on the dogs (without me mentioning them intentionally). Usually something like: "OMG, are they like that all the time!?" I wouldn't be bothered by what you described with your neighbor's dog either - you stated they GET BORED, and go away. These dogs DON'T, and their owners don't let them back in - if they're even home! The property line where the hound runs along their fence is about 90 ft from our screened in porch; but, it's still not enough to damper the noise to a background level. However, I hope we DO adjust to it and someday finish a meal outside!

Thanks for your thoughts and taking the time to write.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
A real problem and good suggestions.

I own a beagle and since getting her....they have become my favorite breed of dogs.....and the baying is sweet music to my ears....most of the time......unlike other dogs.....my experience is that the baying and barking is usually a very happy sound.....or one of thrilled anticipation......Daddy's home we are going for a walk now. When she wants to come in its usually a single bark at the door....followed by patient waiting. When she is outside.....we are home and she usually is sleeping on the chaise lounge on the deck.......she absolutely isnt barking....and even if on the happy trail of a mouse or vole.....its lots of tail wagging....barking gets her to be brought in.

I do suggest that you talk to your neighbor......but I also expect it will be poorly received. ....

They were 100% within their rights and I know that....but to me it was as if.....he had said "my wife hates your child" ..... it just didn't sit well as our first interaction. There probably wasnt any other way for them to address it.....but it defined a chilly neighbor experience.....that persists.

But my mother-in-law lived next door to a barking dog......left out while its owner was at work.....and I know how annoying/maddening/unfair it is to inflict 8 hours of barking on a neighbor....especially when you are away and dont have to endure it.

So you are well within your rights.....but I still predict it won't be well received.
We have a dog, and call her our daughter and our son's 'sister', but we don't treat her like a human and don't actually see her that way. So, I forget that for many dog owners they really take it personally when ANYthing negative is said about their *children*!

Thanks for taking a moment and writing about your experiences. It also spurred me to think more about the idea of lasting first impressions/interactions. Maybe I'll wait and try some neighborly kindness through the holidays (i.e. bringing them cookies, etc.). I used to do that kind of thing in our previous neighborhood and won over many neighbors that way. We tried to go visit them on Halloween, but they had their lights out

I'm really starting to see that any discussion about the dogs - their children - would go over better if we were at least friendly first

Thanks again.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Ask the owners if they would be good neighbors.

If that fails, buy two 5lb hershey bars and feed them to the dogs.

In less than 24 hours, the barking should stop.

jk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs