U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM

128 posts, read 191,585 times

Advertisements

american cheeze is the only thing that works for my chiuaua, she is the worst pill taker alive!!!! she can sense that pill and will meticulously pick out the food from the pill.

wrap that american cheese around it and the smell and texture will work! i promise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 PM

36,472 posts, read 43,558,753 times
peanut butter seems to be doing the trick. Now we have a pack of cheap hot dogs - minus one- which I won't feed to my kids but I am wondering if I can chop them up to give to the dogs? i hate to waste anything but I only buy Hebrew National Hot Dogs for my family and sent DH to store for something cheap for the pill giving.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 AM

128 posts, read 191,585 times
well we had our trainer come out when we got our pups and she told us to cut hot dogs into bits to train them with. but i am like you and only use hebrew hot dogs for us... i think i even bought those kind for my dog!! hehe

Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM

45 posts, read 60,087 times
If you have a real pill phobic dog, try RoadRunner Pharmacy | Arizona, Phoenix, Veterinary, Compounding They can turn any pill into liquid and make it chicken or beef flavored. The spoiled 12 year old pug in my house has defeatedVEts with 10-20 years experience each in 5 different states!

We do not even try pills anymore.The vet says he is unable as well as the usual unwilling! So if you have big trouble, get a liquid"suspension".Free shipping.Price close to what pay for pills ,just got to wait a day or 2 to get it. I have had it shipped to 4 different states. Hope it helps!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:08 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
My dogs love cream cheese so I wrap the pill in cream cheese. I buy the cheap cream cheese spread. SShhhhh don't tell them

Old 11-26-2011, 01:13 PM

455 posts, read 1,007,270 times
From being a puppy we have cut small size pieces of cheese throw it to him a bit like a game catch and swallow.

We cover the pill in cheese we cut similar size cheese pieces throw it to him he catches and swallows. The second piece is the one laced with the pill. Then we finish off with another piece of cheese.

The other way is to open their mouths throw the pill to the back of their throat and lightly hold their muzzle closed stroking their throat to encourage the dog to swallow. This isn't always effective.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM

50 posts, read 185,943 times
I have to agree that peanut butter (or some kind of spreadable cheese) is best. As long as it is something that she cannot chew. If they have to chew something, there is more likelihood of the pill being discovered and spit out. I used to use wrap pills in meat or sliced cheese when my dog was a puppy and would simply inhale anything I gave her. As she got older, she started to chew her food more thoroughly and she got wise to the trick. She began spitting the pill out and waiting for more cheese slices.
A spread is more likely to encourage licking and direct swallowing if pushed into the mouth. I prefer peanut butter over cream cheese simply because PB has a strong aroma that can mask almost anything. I like Skippy's Natural Creamy best for pill giving. It's much more oily than regular PB, so it slides down much easier. The PB blob is swallowed 1,2,3 and she never knows the pill is there. I've even been able to feed my dog 2 pills at a time easy using this method, and she'll come running if I say the words "Peanut Butter" or even just open a jar

Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 AM

21,232 posts, read 14,251,947 times
I've always just opened the dog's mouth with my left hand and placed the pill at the back of the tongue, going in from the side of the mouth in back of the teeth with my right hand. Then I hold the dog's muzzle shut for a second or two. That position seems to trigger the swallowing reflex when the pill is pushed just slightly down the throat.

Rarely, a dog of mine will spit out a pill, but it only happens if I don't get the pill down far enough. The whole thing only takes a few seconds. I don't give my dogs treats, so all he gets for the exercise is his ears rubbed and some Good Boys, and that's always worked fine.

I've seen others bury the pill in something tasty, but dogs have very nimble tongues, especially if the pill tastes bitter.

I don't know how well this would work with short-muzzled dogs or very tiny dogs. All my dogs have always been shepherds, mostly Aussies.

I do let a dog clean a plate on rare occasions, just before it goes in the dish washer. I guess that's a real treat, but it's always rare enough that it doesn't become expected.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM

4,719 posts, read 6,111,423 times
Many years ago our old vet showed me how to give my pets pills. Open the dog's mouth with your hand and curl the upper lip around the upper teeth on one side (this keeps the dog from biting you because he will bite himself first) them push the pill as far back into the throat as possible. Hold the dogs mouth shut for a few moments with one hand while stroking their throat with the other hand. The stroking motion will make the dog swallow.

I've been using this method for years with multiple dogs of multiple breeds and the pill always goes down and I have not been bitten. This method also works on cats.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 AM

1,422 posts, read 4,615,252 times
I cook sweet potatoes for my dog (she has food allergies). I cut them up into little cubes. When she needs a pill, if I'm not in the mood to get my fingers slimy by just sticking it down her throat, I tuck the pill into a sweet potato cube. And down they go - usually. And she loves sweet potatoes! (She now knows the words "sweet potato?")

This doesn't work for the bigger pills because she will isolate the pill and spit it out. For bigger pills, you can coat them with a little butter and put them into the back of the dog's throat. They will slide down more easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or