Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

I decided not to buy treats for my dogs anymore since most I find are made in China and/or are not healthy. I need some ideas for making healthy dog treats or what's safe as dog treats. For example; I heard pumpkin is good? Is canned 100% pumpkin ok or too much aluminum? How do you serve it, a spoonful? My dogs are small, 10lbs so they get small treats. I don't eat meat, so don't usually have any around the house. Would prefer non-meat ideas but will take any healthy suggestions. Ideas are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i keep things simple with treats.

chicken jerkey.
thin slice chicken along the grain (about 1/8th an inch thick) place on wire rack and bake on low for however long it takes for them to dry (typically about 3 hours on low for 1/8th inch slices)

boiled or grilled meats

low sodium hot dogs

liver treats.
boil water, add liver to boiling water for a few mins (cow tends to take 5 mins, chicken a little less) then rinse well in cold water. pat dry then place on a wire rack in the oven about 200 degrees for about 20 mins then dice (makes GREAT training treats!)

those are the basics.

i also give raw meaty bone, raw carrot, plain (no sugar added) yogurt, cottage cheese, egg...
only once in a while...

i find being that dogs are carnivores, it only makes sense that their treats be HEALTHY meats or otheriwse good healthy protein and fat.

i also like to play with recipies i find online for cookies and such
DragonBear: Dog Treat Recipes Resource

i only use pumpkin (canned is fine as long as its not pie filling (they add sugar to it)) but 100% pure pumpkin is fine) when theres a tummy issue going on, pumkin is high fiber and anthing from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon (depdning on the sie fo the dog) will either help bind for loose poop or help soften for constipation...otherwise i dont use pumpkin, much the same as i dont think people should take fiber supliments if they dont have to, dont want the body becomming reliant on the extra fiber...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I use to buy Buddy Biscuits by Cloudstar, made in the USA, but my dogs are large and piggies and it was costing me a fortune so now I make treats for them instead. Oats, molasses, honey, flax seed, egg, WW flour, bananas, cinnamon, ginger, I cut them up, bake them off and save myself tons of money.

My dogs also love cucumbers, pineapple chunks, oranges, bananas, yogurt...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
My dog's most common treat is frozen green beans. He loves them.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
i nuke chicken gizzards in the microwave, then dice them into tiny pieces.....

Old 11-21-2011, 04:07 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I buy Pet Botanics Healthy Omega Treats from PetSmart for my dog. She's an 11 year old, 9 pound Dachshund/Toy Poodle mix. She loves these treats. I put 2 of them in her treat ball every morning. I've bought the Salmon, Chicken, Duck and she loves all of them. Here's the nutritional info on the chicken ones...

Features:
Made with real chicken, layered with cod fish & sweet potatoes
Packed with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
Has essential antioxidants
Low in fat
Easy digestible proteins
No by-products
Low calorie treat

Ingredients: chicken liver, sweet potatoes, cod, chicken, cane sugar, glycerin, salt, potassium sorbate, mixed tocopherols (vitamin e).

Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I've been trying different recipes that I've found online, and then adjusting them to be exactly what I want. There are lots of recipes out there.

One thing I've noticed with homemade treats is that it's best to store them in the freezer and just take out a few days worth at a time. They don't keep as long as store-bought dog biscuits.

You can get mini cookie cutters to make little treats for your dog...look in the cake decorating aisle at Walmart or the craft store and they've got lots of little mini cutters.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,516 times
In the summer, my dogs love Freezy Pups
Freezy Pups - Delicious Organic Frozen Dog Treats - 1-800-523-7979

At cooler times, I give them stuff from Trader Joe's AND some fruits (they looove cantalope, apples) as well as some veggies (carrots).

Having said that, I'm not big on giving them snacks too often.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:38 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
I sometimes make homemade treats for my dogs but primarily use Wagath's biscuits. I like the ingredients and you'll notice the Breakfast Biscuit is a favorite for humans too! LOL

Breakfast Biscuits - Biscuits

Frozen peas and green beans are favs also, along with berries, apples, bananas, melon and their absolute favorite...watermelon. LOL

I usually keep a container of cooked ground turkey in the refrigerator to use as treats...

To the OP, I agree with you totally about not giving any treats or foods that contain ingredients from China...ditto toys.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sam loved carrots, apples, and cheese. He was a fairly large dog, I have never had a small dog. He also loved peanut butter.

I used to get bagels at the store bakery when they were being marked down, and I would cut them in chunks, and put them in the oven until they felt hard, about 250, for an hour. I would give them to him. And of course, he ate Cheerios, gold fish crackers, teddy grahams, and any other random thing the baby threw on the floor. Good dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs