U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 AM

753 posts, read 2,217,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Anyone here have any personal experience with "White Shaker Dog Syndrome"? Our 10 month old white boxer mix has been demonstrating these symptoms for about 8 months. This is a diagnosis by mostly rule out. We've been able to rule everything else out. Her tremors affect only her head. They occur randomly. Initially they would occur once every few weeks and now approximately once a week. We would just like to hear from other people who may have experienced this syndrome. It does affect both small and large breeds...but is more prevalent in smaller breeds.

Bulldog breeds are known for this. My 11 month old male boxer does it. Research Idiopathic Head Tremors. There are also many videos of it on youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Okay, our Avi (boxer mix) doesn't have White Shaker Dog Syndrome...we have finally figured it out. Avi has "Idiopathic Head Bobbing." Avi has the "yes" shake. This head tremor is most common in Boxers. If you go to You Tube and type in "boxer head tremor" a huge list of videos pull up. This head tremor has nothing to do with the color of Avi's coat.

There is a video on the first link that shows a boxer doing exactly what our boxer mix does when she has an episode! During an episode our dog remains alert. The episodes last from a few seconds to a few minutes and we can distract her out of the tremor by redirecting her attention and having her move across the room.

Here are two informational websites we found:
Head bobbing in dogs

Veterinary Healthcare - The shakyyyyy......doogggg... (Proceedings)

I hope this helps someone else who may be freaked out by their dog's bobbing head to learn this is not fatal and there is no need for medication management...it's actually highly controversial to treat with phenobarbital.
LOL you found this before I posted. Sorry, I guess I should start reading all the responses before I post. The first time I saw my boy do this, I thought he was having the sleeping twitches, until I realized he was awake. It really freaked me out. Now we just distract him and it usually goes away. Other than the head shaking he acts completely normal.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
is this something that typically starts by a certain age?? my davey-long-legs has a lot of boxer in him, i suspect, but at age 3, I have not seen it yet...... not that i am expecting to, or anything...

eta .... just read the articles and watched the video of the boxer..... i can see why it would be distressing to see your dog going through something like this..... and that poor little boxer girl looked a little scared, too .... although that could have been because of the camera taping her.....

Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,949,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
is this something that typically starts by a certain age?? my davey-long-legs has a lot of boxer in him, i suspect, but at age 3, I have not seen it yet...... not that i am expecting to, or anything...

eta .... just read the articles and watched the video of the boxer..... i can see why it would be distressing to see your dog going through something like this..... and that poor little boxer girl looked a little scared, too .... although that could have been because of the camera taping her.....
As of yet, we haven't found anything about "idiopathic head tremors" starting at a certain age. We just started noticing this in Avi as of April 2011 which made her 14 months at that time. Avi doesn't appear to be in pain when an episode occurs. We think we are projecting our stress onto her when we look at her, because I'm sure she's likely wondering why we both are in her face being overly attentive, lol! I would be interested to see what percentage (if even known) of boxers and boxer mixes experience this. Although from what I read, it was even rarer in boxer mixes...even though our Avi (boxer mix) does have it. We video taped one of her episodes thinking we'd try to help someone else and then we researched some more to learn there are several videos of idiopathic head tremors on You Tube.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 PM

1,188 posts, read 4,949,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
LOL you found this before I posted. Sorry, I guess I should start reading all the responses before I post. The first time I saw my boy do this, I thought he was having the sleeping twitches, until I realized he was awake. It really freaked me out. Now we just distract him and it usually goes away. Other than the head shaking he acts completely normal.
Man, where were ya? We sure could have used your knowledge sooner, lol! How old is your boy? At what age did you all first notice this with him? What is the frequency of the idiopathic head tremors with your baby at this time? I wonder if they resolve with age?

We seem to notice these tremors more in Avi in the evening, likely because she's more settled and resting.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Man, where were ya? We sure could have used your knowledge sooner, lol! How old is your boy? At what age did you all first notice this with him? What is the frequency of the idiopathic head tremors with your baby at this time? I wonder if they resolve with age?

We seem to notice these tremors more in Avi in the evening, likely because she's more settled and resting.

The first time we saw this head shaking was thanksgiving day, so he was 3 days shy of being 11 months old. And we have now seen him do it have a dozen times. He is alert when it happens, so we just call to him and it usually stops when he pays attention to us. He seems to care less about it happening, except that he doesn't try to take off running. I'm sure he knows he would run into things if he did try.

It's my understanding this does not go away with age and doesn't have a set age that it would start by. I read people saying peanut butter gets them to stop.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
well that i have heard of lol
theres very little info out there but i belive Idiopathic Head Bobbing has been generally linked to genetics (not color based) and generally onset seems to be typically between 12-24 months, however some dogs start earlier, others later...
theres very little known about it considering its a rather common occusrance in boxers and english bulldogs

Old 07-18-2014, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 619 times
Default White Shaker Dog Syndrome

I had a white boxer with exactly those symptoms and the symptoms improved drastically, but did not go away completely, after removing all corn products from his diet. I had done some research on this and it is not actually a reaction to the corn itself but toxins resulting from something similar to fungus that is common in corn products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs