Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have any personal experience with "White Shaker Dog Syndrome"? Our 10 month old white boxer mix has been demonstrating these symptoms for about 8 months. This is a diagnosis by mostly rule out. We've been able to rule everything else out. Her tremors affect only her head. They occur randomly. Initially they would occur once every few weeks and now approximately once a week. We would just like to hear from other people who may have experienced this syndrome. It does affect both small and large breeds...but is more prevalent in smaller breeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Had never even heard of this so can not be of any help except sending positive thoughts and prayers that your dog will be OK.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I think this is in Boxers....Main reason Breeders would put the White Boxer to sleep. Goos Luck! I have no advice! OK Maybe you should contact Boxer Club...their members may have information!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:46 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
I seen a video once of a Boxer with head tremors, I found on the internet somewhere. I googled it because my boy did the same "wobble" motion with his head a few times, but he's a Doberman. He only did it that few times and that was a few years ago.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,126,099 times
Generalized Tremors: Identifying a White Shaker Dog

White-Shaker Dog Syndrome A Problem In White Dogs

Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 AM

This syndrome is not cause for euthanizing a dog! Sorry, I get tired of past comments I've gotten on CD about white boxers and that breeders put/should put them down. I did not get her from a breeder, she's a rescue and she's wonderful. This is the only health issue she's had. I don't think her white color is a reason to euthanize.

White Shaker Dog Syndrome is an inflammation of the central nervous system. The only true way to diagnosis is with a spinal tap to examine fluid...which we are not interested in conducting. Other than that, you can rule out by eliminating all other potential causes. We are just hoping her tremors stay mild. When they occur they usually don't last more than one minute. We've only had one long tremor which maybe lasted on/off for 3 minutes. It's not painful to her, but of course it just breaks our hearts seeing the tremors occur. Initially we were concerned she was having mild seizures, but after further research we were able to rule out the causes for seizures.

I've read about this syndrome in larger dogs like Samoyeds. Didn't know if anyone out there had experience with this with their own baby. I searched on CD for this topic and it has never been addressed.
I thought if anything, may be this could be a future resource for someone trying to gather more information on this syndrome or for others to come together for discussions.

Thank you Skelaki for adding resources to this post so others can learn too. Thank you all for your well wishes too. Avi (ah-vee) our white boxer mix is a very lucky girl because we'll do everything in our power to give her the best life.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 11-22-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
id never herd of it before, but i did look it up and see that typicaly treatment is simply a course of corticosteroids which is generall a treamtment for inflamation.
interesting.

id say as long as its mild and doesnt seemt to effect her regularly i wouldnt take further action but definatly let your vet know (and even take some printouts with you in case your vet is unfamiliar) and if it gets worst.

also keep in mind that many things can cause seizures too, so it could still be mild seizures (not nessicairly epilepsy)
treatment for mild seizures it generally to keep a diary and do nothing unless it becomes very regular or severe.
seizures themselves can be caused by anything from certain pitched sounds, to light sequences to odors, to simple pollen allergies...ect.

sounds like shes in good hands and well loved and i can tell you as an epiletic, if it is sezures...its much scarier for you than it is for the "patient" lol, i can only assume true of similar issues like tremors and wobblers disese, frustrating yes...but much scarier for the person watching than the one going through it.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
never heard of it before.... but thanks for starting the thread.... am always interested in learning about our canine companions......

avi is indeed fortunate to have such kind and loving and caring people.... please keep us posted as events warrant......

Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
People on CD are ALWAYS Harping not to buy from BYB but from PROs ... I just like to point out that its the PROs that would have put these dogs to sleep at birth! IF you didnt do it you got blackballed at the shows. I know several Boxer Breeders that disagreed but said they Had to do this or no more CH in thier kennels!
Good luck with you furkid.... Most of the reason your not going to find much information cause the PROs dont let them live ... They sweep them under the rug so to speak.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 PM

Okay, our Avi (boxer mix) doesn't have White Shaker Dog Syndrome...we have finally figured it out. Avi has "Idiopathic Head Bobbing." Avi has the "yes" shake. This head tremor is most common in Boxers. If you go to You Tube and type in "boxer head tremor" a huge list of videos pull up. This head tremor has nothing to do with the color of Avi's coat.

There is a video on the first link that shows a boxer doing exactly what our boxer mix does when she has an episode! During an episode our dog remains alert. The episodes last from a few seconds to a few minutes and we can distract her out of the tremor by redirecting her attention and having her move across the room.

Here are two informational websites we found:
Head bobbing in dogs

Veterinary Healthcare - The shakyyyyy......doogggg... (Proceedings)

I hope this helps someone else who may be freaked out by their dog's bobbing head to learn this is not fatal and there is no need for medication management...it's actually highly controversial to treat with phenobarbital.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 12-06-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs