Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:28 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,330 times

Advertisements

My dog loves fruits and vegetables and eats some every day. The ones he eats "regularly":
frozen green beans
frozen or raw broccoli
raw carrots
raw apples (no seeds)
kale
spinach
apple
frozen berries
strawberries
blueberries
bananas
oranges
cucumbers
tomatoes (rarely; a slice or two)
bell pepers (of all colors)

If it's crunchy, he likes it.

He's not gassy at all and has good poops -- but then again, he's been eating these for all of his 10 years, so maybe his body has just gotten used to them. The majority of his diet is a high-protein, no-grain quality kibble -- a cup in the morning and a cup at night. Onto this I had a very small handful of frozen green beans (which he also gets as a snack throughout the day). If I am cooking something that requires the knife and a chopping board, he's usually under feet. The sound of the knife on the chopping board is a siren's call for him!!

He will also occasionally get meat if I'm cooking with meat: raw chicken or steak, usually. Sometimes cooked.

And he gets plain yogurt every other month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM

462 posts, read 1,210,250 times
Here's what I do for my dogs...usually once a month....

Get a family pack of boneless chicken breasts.....throw them into a crockpot with a cup or so of water and cook for about 8 hours. Chicken breasts are easier to cut up and less messy than a whole bird.

Cut/shred them into small pieces and freeze separately a weeks worth so I can just keep pulling them out weekly as I need them. My dogs are small and they only get the chicken with their afternoon feeding.

Extra cost per month: About 11 bucks.

Last edited by GCPA; 11-22-2011 at 09:21 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
Well ya all were right about the stinky~! I let him out once in the middle of the night and then he woke me up again, and I didn't want to get out of bed again so he went in the bathroom on the pad I have for emergencies. Oh, it was stinky.....and he's a well-trained Yorkie who knows where to go in emergencies

Old 11-22-2011, 11:19 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,671 times
Talking Kibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I don't recall them not being good for dogs. I dropped a frozen broccoli piece and my dog grabbed it off the floor and wanted more, so I gave it to him. Also, is boiled chicken good for a dog~? I hear a radio talk show host boils chicken for his dog. Do grocery stores have this for purchase at the deli, or do I have to do this myself If I was to do this, how long do you boil a chicken~? What part is the best part to give to a dog~? Could I boil it outside on a grill on the separate burner~? Do I cover the pot or what~? Thanks.
Broccoli is fine to give to your dog. When making salad's, it one of the human foods I would share with my dogs, fresh veggies. The one they did not care for celery, too stringy, I think (lol)?

As for chicken, boil it yourself in a pot, lots of water, inside on your stove is fine. Dark or light meat, they don't care and make sure it is boneless. Chicken bones (actually any bone) can splintering in their stomach or intestines and cause internal bleeding.

You want the meat well done (to kill any bacteria.) Chop or shred the meat. You can also feed the chicken with cooked white rice. I have also given it with cereal (non-sugared and whole grain) such as regular Cheerios.

Keep in mind that when wolves would feed on their kill, they would eat not only the kill but the contents of what was in the kills stomach, intestines and even some of the vegetation surrounding the kill, i.e., grass, which is why some dogs graze on grass when they are not sick.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
If you don't want to cook chicken, you can buy a rotisserie chicken at the store, Costco has them for $4.99.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 PM

128 posts, read 220,585 times
Unhappy dogs love veggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I don't recall them not being good for dogs. I dropped a frozen broccoli piece and my dog grabbed it off the floor and wanted more, so I gave it to him. Also, is boiled chicken good for a dog~? I hear a radio talk show host boils chicken for his dog. Do grocery stores have this for purchase at the deli, or do I have to do this myself If I was to do this, how long do you boil a chicken~? What part is the best part to give to a dog~? Could I boil it outside on a grill on the separate burner~? Do I cover the pot or what~? Thanks.

I boil chicken for my dogs. i get it on sale, the breasts. i boil it and take some of the broth and mix in the broth and chicken when hot with frozen veggies. then at feeding time i mix in the chicken and veggies with their dry dog food. (blue with life bits) i like dog food as it has vitamins and such. my dogs love it. only now they will hardly eat regular dog food.

dogs are the best friends ive had so i want them to enjoy their meals. broccoli is find. no grapes, raisins, choclate and a few others tho... google "what cant my dog eat" to get the complete list.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you don't want to cook chicken, you can buy a rotisserie chicken at the store, Costco has them for $4.99.
If she doesn't care to cook chicken in her home, I don't imagine she would like "dissecting" one either. that is the worst part as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
If she doesn't care to cook chicken in her home, I don't imagine she would like "dissecting" one either. that is the worst part as far as I'm concerned.
Your right, folks I got a couple of baked chicken drum sticks tonight at Kroger's. And by golly, my little guy ate it with his dry food without an issue. I have a dry raw food I put on top of it, but he's been tired of it lately and only eats that and not the dry.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 PM

350 posts, read 477,442 times
My daughter's Pomeranian went nuts for tofu. My dogs eat all kinds of leftovers in moderation. Their mainstay is a quality dog food with a little canned meat.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,517 times
My Chihuahua LOVES Broccoli, cooked, with butter.
She also likes it with chicken.
As for chicken. We buy the packages of frozen thighs. take one out and grill or boil it, and cut it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs