U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 PM

102 posts, read 611,788 times

Advertisements

My shih tzu quit eating a week ago. We got her started eating again with brocolli. It was the only thing she would eat. She has always had a preferene for veggies and fruit. The vet said it was fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 09:26 AM

21,230 posts, read 14,251,947 times
Be very careful with chicken bones. The meat is fine, but the bones are hollow and splinter when a dog chews them up. The bone splinters can easily lodge in the dog's throat and can penetrate it. This applies equally to small breeds as well as larger dogs- even the tiny ones can splinter a small chicken bone. My family has lost some dogs from this- just be sure any chicken they eat has no bones.

Most green vegetables are just fine for dogs. Green beans are a good diet item for an overweight dog- they don't give the dog any fat, and they add a lot of bulk to the dog dinner. Raw carrots are great, too- I've seen dogs develop a real love for carrots.
When a dog's belly is full, he doesn't care what was filling.

I never feed my dog any fruit, ever. Some fruit, especially grapes, can be lethal for dogs. Pineapple, cherries, and most other fruit can be very disagreeable. It's the sugar that some dogs go for, but their gut isn't made for digesting any fruit.

Chocolate is also believed to be poisonous for dogs, but I've never had a dog die from chocolate. It does, however, always loosens them up severely, and you don't want to have a dog in the house after it raids a candy box... put 'em out for at least 12 hours to avoid calling the carpet cleaner- any sooner and you might have an unwelcome surprise.
It's the fat in chocolate. I once had a dog who gobbled up a pound of fresh fudge in less than a minute. Hoo-boy... you don't want to hear the rest of that story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or