U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:41 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,461,598 times

Advertisements

Took the puppy to the vet at 7:30 this morning and just got a call from him..

He wound up taking 60-70 quills out of Bandit's trachea and esophagus and about 50 from other areas. He had 2 in his eye but they managed to save it.

Poor Bandit now holds the record for the worst porcupine attack at the vet's practice. It"s a dubious honor at best.

He's turning out to be a very expensive dog, but we love the little monster so it's worth every penny it took.

Thanks again for all the feedback!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,707,191 times
thats the big issue with quills, they get into places youd never even think...
have you checked the throats and in the ears of the other dogs?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:27 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Took the puppy to the vet at 7:30 this morning and just got a call from him..

He wound up taking 60-70 quills out of Bandit's trachea and esophagus and about 50 from other areas. He had 2 in his eye but they managed to save it.

Poor Bandit now holds the record for the worst porcupine attack at the vet's practice. It"s a dubious honor at best.

He's turning out to be a very expensive dog, but we love the little monster so it's worth every penny it took.

Thanks again for all the feedback!!!!!!!!!
Wow! I had no idea you were talking about an attack that extensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
have you checked the throats and in the ears of the other dogs?
That would be my fear too. Regardless, I'd be putting them on antibiotics because there's still a risk of infection even if they are all out.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
I just asked hubby. He said his dog would get that many quills.

He usually pulled them out himself, except for the last time when the quills when in from under the chin, through the tongue and up through the roof of the mouth inside his nose.

Apparently he never got infections after hubby removed quills himself. I'd keep an eye on the other dog's wounds though. Just to be safe.

He says if one breaks off while removing them yourself, you need to go to the vet for surgery because it can travel into vital organs and kill a dog a few weeks later.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-25-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 395 times
I just spent a weekend in Northern Michigan and my dog got quilled. I spent 4 hours pulling them out with some needlenose pliers and she still had to go to the vet and get a bunch cut out. I'm definitely going to shoot a porcupine the next time I see one. Then I'm going to cook it and feed it to my dog. One of the most horrifying things to have to deal with.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Porcupine is actually fine eating. Fatty, not gamey. Excellent for tent roasting. Goes well with a wine/sherry cream reduction. Maybe some juniper berries if you want to get fancy. Serve over wild rice with brocolli and hollandaise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or